• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home National

FG charges 10 #EndBadGovernance protesters with treason

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
September 2, 2024
in National
0
FG charges 10 #EndBadGovernance protesters with treason
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

RelatedPosts

Shettima: NextGen Hackathon Key to Nigeria’s Digital Hub Ambition

FG Flagship Programme to Empower 22,000 Farmers Nationwide

INEC Appointment: Christian Group Hammers Shari’a Council, Warns Against Provocative Statements

The Federal Government on Monday charged 10 #EndBadGovernance protesters with counts c bordering on treason before Justice Emeka Nwite of a Federal High Court, Abuja.
The Federal Government, through the Inspector-General (I-G) of Police, arraigned the defendants in a charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/454/2024 filed on Aug. 30.
10 of the 124 persons arraigned included Michael Adaramoye also known as Lenin; Adeyemi Abayomi, Suleiman Yakubu, Opaluwa Simon, Angel innocent, Buhari Lawal, Mosiu Sadiq, Bashir Bello, Nuradeen Khakis and Abdusalam Zubairu.
They were charged with treason, intent to destabilise Nigeria, conspiracy to commit felony and inciting mutiny, among others, which are punishable under Section 97 of the Penal Code.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that some youths staged a nationwide protest against economic hardship between Aug. 1 and Aug. 10 in the country.
The demonstration turned violent in some parts of the country, with looting and vandalism recorded in some states.
They all pleaded not guilty.
Shortly after the arraignment, counsel for the defendants prayed the court to grant the defendants bail as they were innocent until proven guilty of the charges leveled against them.
Lawyer to the 1st and 3rd defendants, Marshall Abubakar, argued that there was no provision in the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJ), 2015 that warrants a written application for bail.
He argued that the defendants were mere protesters and the charge brought against them was a camouflage.
“The protesters were merely exercising their rights.
“My lord will also recall that the defendants have been in custody long before a detention order was granted, in fact some for 30 days and some for 28 days .
“We are applying under the fundamental legal footing both judicial and statutory from the authorities that this honourable court admit the 1st and 3rd defendants to bail,” he said.
Abubakar, who argued that the bail of the defendants could be moved orally at any stage of the trial, urged the court to admit them to bail on liberal terms.
Hamza Dantani, who appeared for 9th defendant, equally prayed the court to grant his client bail as he is seriously sick and suffering from asthma.
Dantani aligned himself with Abubakar’s submission.
Counsel to the 6th, 7th and 8th  defendants, Deji Adeyanju, appealed to the court to use its discretion in favour of the defendants, saying they were only protesting as approved in the constitution.
Other lawyers to the rest of the defendants made the same bail request to the court on behalf of their clients.
The prosecution counsel, Simon Lough, SAN, vehemently opposed their submission for bail.
He insisted that the defendants were being tried for treason which he said is serious offence.
Lough argued that bail could only be granted in exceptional cases, which non of the lawyers had been able to prove.
“Bail can only be granted on exceptional circumstances; those exceptional circumstances as listed in ACJA,” he said.
Justice Nwite, who ordered that the defendants to be remanded in Kuje Correctional Centre, adjourned the matter until Sept. 11 for ruling on the bail applications.(NAN)
ALSO READ:  Julius Berger Commences Building Of VP House Without Pay
Tags: EndBadGovernanceProtesters
Previous Post

Yusuf revokes 5-km Garko Road contract

Next Post

NIMASA D-G cautions against fake social media accounts

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Shettima: NextGen Hackathon Key to Nigeria’s Digital Hub Ambition

Shettima: NextGen Hackathon Key to Nigeria’s Digital Hub Ambition

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

Vice-President Kashim Shettima says the Connect NextGen Innovation Hackathon will position Nigeria as a global supplier of digital solutions and...

FG Flagship Programme to Empower 22,000 Farmers Nationwide

FG Flagship Programme to Empower 22,000 Farmers Nationwide

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

The All Farmers Association of Nigeria (AFAN) says no fewer than 22,000 farmers will benefit from the FarmerMoni initiative under...

INEC & Parties Forge Critical 2027 Reforms Path as FCT Elections Loom

INEC Appointment: Christian Group Hammers Shari’a Council, Warns Against Provocative Statements

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

The Christian Social Movement of Nigeria (CSMN) has warned against politicising the leadership of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC),...

Next Post
NIMASA D-G cautions against fake social media accounts

NIMASA D-G cautions against fake social media accounts

Military utilising non-kinetic capabilities to achieve operational successes – CDS

Military utilising non-kinetic capabilities to achieve operational successes – CDS

Recommended

Nigeria Unveils Critical Push to Fortify Poultry, Safeguard Food Supply Amid Disease Threat

Nigeria Unveils Critical Push to Fortify Poultry, Safeguard Food Supply Amid Disease Threat

7 days ago
Kaduna Communities Laud Defence Minister’s Free JAMB Registration Scheme

Kaduna Communities Laud Defence Minister’s Free JAMB Registration Scheme

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (256)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,070)
  • News (9,643)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform