News
FG approves reconstruction of Dei-Dei Market-Life Camp road

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, on Saturday, January 25, 2025, commissioned the 5-kilometer temporary access road connecting Saburi 1 and 2 communities to the Outer Northern Expressway (ONEX) and the old Keffi, Dei-Dei International market road in the Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC).
During the commissioning ceremony, the Minister announced the Federal Government’s approval for reconstructing the Dei-Dei International Market road to Life Camp. He assured residents that the project would commence in February and be completed by the end of the year.
He stated, “Mr. President has directed that this Dei-Dei International Market road should be reconstructed to Life Camp, so that the market can come back to what it used to be as an international market. So, be assured that in the next one month, we will flag it off and I can assure you, before the end of this year, we will come back and commission it.”
Speaking to the residents of Saburi, Barr. Wike emphasized the commitment of the current administration to delivering on its promises. He said, “Let me thank the people of Saburi for mobilizing yourself to show appreciation for what the President has done, remembering the communities that make up AMAC. Just as the Chairman said, when we came here last year to flag off this road project, you know the usual thing. They will say yes, after flag off, what next, it will be abandoned project every time. But I told you that ours will not be the same. We will not flag-off any project and abandon the project.”
The Minister also highlighted the inclusion of streetlights in the Saburi Road project, acknowledging the community’s proximity to the city. He further assured the AMAC Chairman, Hon. Christopher Maikalangu, that the Zabna to Kagini road project which he had requested would be constructed, recognizing his leadership and support for the President.
Barr. Wike emphasized the commitment of the President to develop all parts of Abuja, stating, “Under President Tinubu’s administration, every part of Abuja will be touched. We are not going to concentrate development only in the city. We must carry development, by the directive of Mr. President to all the communities and that’s why since Monday the 20th of January, this is the sixth day we have visited all the Area Councils.” He also announced that every Area Council will have one road project included in the FCT’s 2025 Statutory budget.
The Minister equally appealed to FCT residents to exercise patience and support the President’s administration, stating, “I appeal to you now, just be patient with the Administration of President Ahmed Tinubu. You will know that the President is committed and serious to helping Nigeria be a better country.” He also reiterated the government’s commitment to improving education infrastructure in the FCT.
In their separate goodwill message, the Chairmen Senate and House of Representatives Committees on FCT Area Councils and Ancillary Matters, Sen. David Jimkuta and Hon. Fred Agbedi both commended the FCT Minister for his exemplary leadership and pledged the support of the National Assembly for the FCT Administration.
While Senator Jimkuta also praised President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for appointing Barr. Wike as FCT Minister, praying that Nigerians in other parts of the country get to enjoy what residents of the FCT are enjoying as a result of Mr President’s decision, Hon. Agbedi said the newly reconstructed Saburi access road would ensure increased volume of trade at the Dei-Dei Market and urged the traders to reciprocate governments’ good gesture by bringing down the prices of goods sold at the market.
Earlier in his remarks, the AMAC, Chairman, Hon. Maikalangu expressed gratitude to the FCT Minister on behalf of the local communities for the swift and timely completion of the road project, as promised.
The Chairman conveyed to the Minister the immense appreciation felt by residents of the community. He emphasized that the Minister is the first to demonstrate such genuine concern for the needs of residents, earning widespread praise and admiration within the communities. The Chairman further acknowledged the Minister’s dedication to improving the lives of residents not only in urban areas but also the rural regions.
Reeling out the road projects undertaken by AMAC, Hon. Maikalangu extended an invitation to the Minister to officially commission the completed projects while requesting the Minister to consider future projects within the AMAC, which he described as the largest Council within the FCT.
One of the requests was for the construction of the Zabna-Kagini road, which the Minister agreed to, saying that the Chairman had proven himself.
In his welcome address, the Coordinator, Satelite Town Development Department, STDD, Hon. Abdulkadir Zulkiflu said the access road has brought hope to the Saburi 1 and 2 communities, especially the vibrant youths in the area and a realisation of a dream.
He added that the road represents a major step in FCTA’s goal of bridging infrastructural needs in the rural areas and thank the FCT Minister for ensuring that the road projects were not only executed and delivered on time, but are also of very high quality.
News
Bitcoin Drops to $82,000 After Trump’s Tariff Announcement

Bitcoin experienced sharp fluctuations following President Donald Trump’s April 2 tariff announcement, initially surging to $88,000 before dropping to $82,000.
By April 3, it stabilized around $83,000, with the broader crypto market down over 4%. Major altcoins like Ethereum and Solana also declined over 6%, hitting multi-month lows.
Analysts see the tariff news as reducing market uncertainty, potentially attracting institutional investors.
Despite higher-than-expected rates, experts believe the clarity could help Bitcoin regain momentum toward $90,000. Bitcoin ETFs, led by BlackRock, recorded $218 million in inflows on April 2, reversing prior outflows.
Kraken’s Thomas Perfumo challenged the idea that institutional interest stabilizes crypto, emphasizing that volatility signals demand for a scarce asset.
Some analysts viewed the sell-off as an overreaction to trade policy concerns, highlighting Bitcoin’s resilience as a store of value.
With ETFs showing strong demand, Bitcoin’s price may stabilize and rise, though market participants remain cautious, monitoring trade policies and economic conditions.
News
Clashes In South Sudan: 30 People Kill

Violent clashes between pastoralist groups and settled farming communities have long been a challenge in South Sudan.
However, the recent outbreak of violence in the northern Ruweng Administrative Area has further heightened concerns over the nation’s fragile peace. At least 30 people lost their lives after an armed youth group launched a brutal attack on a northern South Sudanese town, according to local officials.
The incident, linked to an escalating cattle raid, saw the town briefly fall under the control of the attackers before security forces regained control.
The violence began when a group of armed youth stole lambs earlier in the week. Security forces quickly intervened, forcing the raiders to retreat. However, instead of dispersing, the group reorganised and launched a more aggressive attack on Abiemnom the following day.
Local Minister of Information, Simon Chol Mialith, confirmed that despite resistance from local youth and security personnel, the town was overrun by the Mayom armed youth. The attack led to significant casualties and destruction before security forces were able to reclaim the town.
On Wednesday, the South Sudan People’s Defence Force (SSPDF) successfully pushed the attackers out, restoring a semblance of calm. However, the scale of the destruction was already severe, with over 40 individuals injured in addition to the fatalities.
Although reports suggest that some of the deceased were members of the armed groups, official confirmation remains pending.
The attack comes at a time of growing instability in South Sudan, with tensions between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and First Vice President Riek Machar intensifying. This political rivalry threatens to unravel the delicate 2018 peace agreement that ended the nation’s five-year civil war.
Since gaining independence in 2011, South Sudan has struggled with continuous unrest. Despite its vast oil resources, the country remains impoverished, with conflicts like these exacerbating economic and social difficulties.
News
Oil Prices Decline to $69 as OPEC+ Initiates Production Increase

Key Business Developments to Monitor This Week: Crude Oil Transactions in Naira and Resumption of Emirates Flights
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies (OPEC+) have announced an increase in crude oil production by 411,000 barrels per day (bpd) starting in May. This decision follows a virtual meeting among eight member nations, which agreed to gradually reduce previously implemented output cuts.
The nations involved in this agreement include Saudi Arabia, Russia, Iraq, the UAE, Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Algeria, and Oman.
As a result of this production increase, Brent crude prices fell by 6.8% to $69.85 per barrel, while West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude dropped by 7.08% to $66.63, as of 10 PM WAT.
According to Reuters, these fluctuations are closely linked to the recent announcement by U.S. President Donald Trump imposing a 10% tariff on all imported goods.
### Voluntary Production Cuts by Eight OPEC+ Member Nations
In April 2023, eight OPEC+ countries declared additional voluntary reductions amounting to 1.65 million bpd, lasting until the end of December 2026. Subsequently, in November 2023, an additional voluntary cut of 2.2 million bpd was announced.
On December 5, 2024, the oil cartel revealed plans to extend these adjustments through March 2025, indicating that the 2.2 million bpd reductions would be gradually phased out on a monthly basis until the end of September 2026, aimed at maintaining market stability. However, on March 3, these nations agreed to implement a planned increase in oil production starting April 1.
### Monthly Phasing Out of Oil Production by Eight OPEC Member Countries
OPEC stated that the eight participating countries will implement a production adjustment of 411,000 barrels per day, divided into three monthly increments, beginning in May 2025. This adjustment includes the planned increment for May plus two additional monthly increases. The oil alliance emphasized that these gradual increases could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions, allowing for continued support of oil market stability.
Furthermore, OPEC+ noted that this measure would provide an opportunity for member nations to expedite their compensation efforts. The eight countries will convene monthly to assess market conditions, compliance, and compensation strategies.
The next meeting is scheduled for May 5, where decisions regarding June production levels will be made.