• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home Health

EU Spent N1bn Fighting Sexual Assault In Nigeria

Ojimaojo Abubakar by Ojimaojo Abubakar
November 29, 2023
in Health
0
EU Spent N1bn Fighting Sexual Assault In Nigeria
0
SHARES
11
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

The European Union (EU) has called on the Federal and state governments to fund the 41 existing Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs) across the country stating that they have spent over N1 billion fighting sexual assault in Nigeria

This is even as the trading bloc has said it has contributed over N1billion for the establishment of the centres in Nigeria.

Speaking yesterday in Abuja at the 9th Network Conference of Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs) in commemoration of the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence 2023, the EU Ambassador and Head of Delegation to Nigeria and ECOWAS, Samuela Isopi, disclosed that over 35,000 survivors have so far benefitted from the services of the centres.

RelatedPosts

Lassa Fever Outbreak in Bauchi: 11 Cases and Four Deaths Confirmed

Sokoto Govt. Pledges To End Polio Virus Type 2 This Year

Minister Reveals Only N36 Million Released from N218 Billion Health Budget

Themed ‘Funding and Sustainability of Sexual Assault Referral Centres’, the event was organised by the European Union-funded Rule of Law and Anti-Corruption (RoLAC Phase II) Programme of International Initiative for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA)

According to Isopi, the funding will go a long way to strengthen the centres to deliver on their mandate of providing free medical, counseling and support services to survivors of sexual violence.

While assuring that the EU is committed to ensuring that voices of victims are heard, she called for the establishment of specialised courts for sexual and gender-based violence cases.

“In Nigeria, the European Union has contributed over a billion naira in support of SARCs across the country and we will continue to advocate for more centres and for appropriate funding allocations at federal and state level to make them operational and sustainable.

ALSO READ:  Foundation To Embark On A 2-Day Campaign Against Drug, Human Trafficking , Sexual Abuse

“Addressing violence against women and girls requires a comprehensive and collective approach. We will continue to collaborate with key stakeholders in supporting legislative instruments”, she said.

The Project Manager, Access to Justice and Co-ordinator, Network of Sexual Assault Referral Centres, RoLAC II of International IDEA, Oluwatoyosi Giwa, said the SARCs were expected to provide free medical assistance, forensic medical examination, counseling and justice support services to survivors of the act.

She said the objective of the conference is to examine governance issues that continue to limit the impact and sustainability of SARCs in Nigeria and establish clarity on where and how to focus state-level advocacy for funding existing SARCs by state governments.

Giwa said: “We still have a situation where state governments as well as the Federal Government is still not funding largely, SGBV response in Nigeria. And what I mean is that when it comes to emergency rescue, response, shelter services, medical, trauma counseling we still have that significant gap where state government, federal government is still not putting the money where the legislation is. So, all of the different mechanisms that are supposed to respond are there, they are just not properly or adequately funded”.

On his part, the Attorney General of the Federal and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi, represented by Yewande Gbola-Awopetu called for multi-sectoral support from relevant stakeholders for smooth operation of the centres and support from the states through budgetary allocations and human resources services.

Also, the Minister of Women Affairs, Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye tasked states to allocate funds to the Centers in their respective 2024 budgets.

ALSO READ:  Lassa Fever cases decline in Nigeria, fatality rate remains high – NCDC

Represented by the Assistant Director, Gender Affairs, Federal Ministry of Women Affairs, Iheanyichi Amanambu, the Minister said: “As impressive as the efforts of the Federal Government are, the common challenge faced by these centers according to a recent survey is the weak commitment by sub – national governments to strengthen the multi-sectorial and inter-agency collaboration mechanisms that will sustain the delivery of SARCs services to the victims. The implication is that the Centers lack the requisite funds needed to ensure optimal services delivery.

“To this end, I enjoin all the State Ministries of Women Affairs in States where these SARCs Centers are located to as a matter of urgency and in the spirit of gender responsive budgeting specifically allocate funds to these Centers during the 2024 Budget year”.

Previous Post

Northern Elders appoints Abdul-Azeez Suleiman as spokesperson

Next Post

Lawyer Sues FCTA Over Alleged Disregard for Court Orders

Ojimaojo Abubakar

Ojimaojo Abubakar

Abubakar Ojimaojo is a graduate of Mass Communication, political and football analyst currently work at elanzanews.ng as Editor. He pride himself as skilled wordsmith with a passion for delving into contemporary political issues on both national and international scale.

Related Posts

Lassa Fever Outbreak in Bauchi: 11 Cases and Four Deaths Confirmed

Lassa Fever Outbreak in Bauchi: 11 Cases and Four Deaths Confirmed

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Bauchi State health officials have confirmed 11 cases of Lassa fever, with four fatalities reported, prompting urgent public health...

Sokoto Govt. Pledges To End Polio Virus Type 2 This Year

Sokoto Govt. Pledges To End Polio Virus Type 2 This Year

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 11, 2026
0

By Ankeli Emmanuel, Sokoto As part of it's commitment to improved health care this year, the Sokoto State Government has...

Minister Reveals Only N36 Million Released from N218 Billion Health Budget

Minister Reveals Only N36 Million Released from N218 Billion Health Budget

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 10, 2026
0

The minister of health, Mohammed Pate, has blamed the low 2025 capital budget performance on constraints in appropriated funds disbursement...

Next Post
Lawyer Sues FCTA Over Alleged Disregard for Court Orders

Lawyer Sues FCTA Over Alleged Disregard for Court Orders

Stakeholders Call For Reform Of Correctional Centres

Stakeholders Call For Reform Of Correctional Centres

Recommended

2027 Politics: Danji SS Emerges as Strong Contender for Taraba’s Top Seat

2027 Politics: Danji SS Emerges as Strong Contender for Taraba’s Top Seat

5 days ago
Kaduna Communities Laud Defence Minister’s Free JAMB Registration Scheme

Kaduna Communities Laud Defence Minister’s Free JAMB Registration Scheme

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (256)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,070)
  • News (9,643)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform