• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

EU pledges €60 million aid for displaced persons in Congo

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
January 28, 2025
in News
0
EU pledges €60 million aid for displaced persons in Congo
0
SHARES
8
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

The European Union (EU) said it will provide the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) with €60 million ($62.6 million) in humanitarian aid.

The European Commission announced this on Tuesday, following days of intense fighting in the east of the country.

RelatedPosts

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

The commission said the funding is meant to support displaced populations in and around Goma and those affected by conflicts and epidemics.

It said that after days of heavy fighting, the rebel militia M23 entered the strategically important provincial capital Goma in the early hours of Monday.

Goma is located in one of Congo’s most resource-rich areas and borders Rwanda.

“Inspite of the fact that humanitarian access remains a challenge for our partners due to the severity of the fighting, we will ensure that humanitarian funding will be disbursed without delay and aid will continue to be provided to those who need it the most,” said EU Crisis Commissioner Hadja Lahbib.

Lahbib said the money will help finance shelter and camp management, access to clean water and latrines, basic food and education for conflict-affected children.

“This new funding brings the total EU humanitarian assistance to DRC to over €272 million since the beginning of 2023,” a press release said.

According to commission figures, 480,000 people have been displaced in the eastern region of North Kivu since October 2024 and 178,000 in neighbouring South Kivu.

ALSO READ:  NANS Urges Akpabio To Boost Ties With Tinubu Govt

The recently displaced populations come in addition to the 6.4 million people who were already displaced throughout the country.

The latest fighting has further aggravated the situation, the commission said, particularly for the approximately 800,000 people who were living around Goma in sites for displaced people.

“Within a couple of days, some of the camps that sheltered over 300,000 people last week, are now already completely empty because all their inhabitants have fled the frontlines,” the commission said.(dpa/NAN)

Tags: aiddisplaced persons
Previous Post

Edo governorship poll: Tribunal scolds PDP over failure to produce witnesses

Next Post

Bandits kill 1 out of 5 kidnapped Abuja residents, dump corpse in Niger State

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled a hearing for February 24 concerning a suit aimed at compelling the...

Next Post

Bandits kill 1 out of 5 kidnapped Abuja residents, dump corpse in Niger State

NAFDAC shuts down Aba Cemetery Market producing fake wine, beverages, confiscates N5bn products

NAFDAC shuts down Aba Cemetery Market producing fake wine, beverages, confiscates N5bn products

Recommended

WAEC Introduces Paperless Certificates Across Five Member Countries

WAEC Introduces Paperless Certificates Across Five Member Countries

2 hours ago
Shettima: NextGen Hackathon Key to Nigeria’s Digital Hub Ambition

Shettima: NextGen Hackathon Key to Nigeria’s Digital Hub Ambition

5 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,071)
  • News (9,645)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform