National
Bandits Attack Kaduna Again, Kill Two Worshippers In Mosque

Bandits have attacked a mosque in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State, killing two worshippers in the process.
The police authorities in Kaduna state have not confirmed the attack.
However, a community leader, Sani Usman, told Channels Television that the bandits invaded the Mosque at Anguwar Makera in Kwasakwasa community in the local government at about 2 p.m. on Friday and opened fire on the worshippers.
He said that two people were gunned down by the bandits in the attack.
According to the source, the Muslim worshippers were observing the second round of the Salat prayers when they were attacked, thereby forcing the remaining people to flee from the Mosque.
Friday’s attack comes barely 24 hours after 287 students and pupils were kidnapped by bandits at a government secondary and primary school at Kuriga community in Chikun Local Government Area.
Narrating the incident at Kuriga, one of the teachers who escaped from the kidnappers, Sani Abdullahi, said that out of the 287, 100 pupils were abducted from the primary school while 187 students were abducted from the secondary school. Both schools are within the same premises.
The Thursday attack where the 287 pupils and students were abducted has attracted condemnations from far and within.
Reacting to the incident, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) through its representative in Nigeria, Christian Munduate, rued the attack, saying that Nigerian children deserve to learn in a peaceful environment.
Munduate said schools are supposed to be sanctuaries of learning and growth, not places of fear and violence.
UNICEF urged immediate action to ensure the safe return of the abducted children and staff and called on authorities to implement comprehensive measures to secure schools across Nigeria.
While also condemning the abduction of the pupils, students and internally displaced persons in Borno State, President Bola Tinubu directed an immediate rescue of the victims.
In a statement by Special Adviser to the President, Ajuri Ngelale on Friday, the president described the victims as “very vulnerable”, directing security and intelligence agencies to rescue them and ensure that justice is served against the perpetrators of the abominable acts.
“I have received briefing from security chiefs on the two incidents, and I am confident that the victims will be rescued. Nothing else is acceptable to me and the waiting family members of these abducted citizens. Justice will be decisively administered,” President Tinubu said.
Meanwhile, the Governor of Kaduna State, Uba Sani, was in Kuriga community some hours after the school children were abducted.
During the visit, Governor Sani assured them of the safe and timely return of the kidnapped children, stating that security agencies are working round the clock to ensure their release.
“With pain in my heart, I visited Kuriga, Chikun Local Government, where bandits kidnapped primary and secondary school pupils and students, to commiserate with members of the community and assure them that all steps are been taken to ensure the safe return of the pupils and students,” he wrote on his X account.
He also reiterated his administration’s commitment to tackle insecurity in Kaduna State.
Bandit attacks in the North-West part of the country have been on the increase in recent times, with residents taking to the streets to protest the ugly trend.
Residents of Goningora in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State last week blocked the Abuja-Kaduna highway in protest of the attacks on their community by bandits.
Residents of the Kankara Local Government Area in Katsina State also recently embarked on another protest over the incessant bandit attacks in their community.
National
Okphebolo Commends tribunal Judgment Affirming His Election

Monday Okpebholo, governor of Edo, has commended the judgment of the state governorship tribunal that affirmed his victory in the September 21, 2024, election.
On Wednesday, a three-member panel of the tribunal led by Wilfred Kpochi, a judge, ruled that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo, failed to prove the allegations against the respondents.
The tribunal held that “no competent witnesses were called” by the petitioners to prove the averments in their petition.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had declared Okpebholo, candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), as winner of the election.
Okpebholo polled 291,667 votes to defeat his closest challenger, Ighodalo of the PDP, who got 247,274 votes.
Ighodalo and PDP had approached the tribunal to challenge the outcome.
In a statement released by Fred Itua, his chief press secretary (CPS), Okphebolo asked Ighodalo and other members of the opposition parties to join hands with him for the progress of Edo state.
The governor commended the people of the state for their support and “belief in his vision for a prosperous and united state”.
He added that his administration “remains focused on delivering on its campaign promises and will not be distracted by frivolous litigation”.
“This victory is not mine alone, but a victory for every citizen and resident of Edo State,” the statement reads.
“It is a mandate to continue the work we have started, to build a state where everyone has the opportunity to thrive. We remain committed to our promise of good governance, transparency, and inclusive development.”
National
Arik Air Airlifted 2.23m Passengers In 2024, Says AMCON

The Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) says Arik Air airlifted 2,239,176 passengers in 2024, accounting for a 19.3 percent market share.
Arik Air has been under the receivership of AMCON since 2017.
Citing a report by the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) on international and domestic flight operations in 2024 in a statement on Wednesday, AMCON said Arik Air operated 10,699 flights between January and December 2024, making it the second most active airline in terms of passenger traffic and flight operations after Air Peace.
Breaking down the figure, the corporation said the report showed that Arik Air recorded 1,112,358 inbound passengers and 1,126,818 outbound passengers.
“According to the report, the total number of air travellers in the domestic scene in 2024 was 11, 549,443 with inbound at 5,727,700 and outbound passengers at 5,821,743. This figure shows that Arik Air captured 19.3 per cent of the total passenger traffic for 2024, while it had 15.1 per cent of the total 70,543 flights operated by the 15 domestic airlines in the year under review,” the statement reads.
“The Executive Summary on International and Domestic Flight Operations 2024, as captured by the NCAA, indicated that Arik Air had 1,112,358 and 1,126,818 as inbound and outbound passengers for 2024, respectively, making it a total of 2,239,176 passengers ferried in 2024.
“Monthly breakdown of the passenger traffic indicated that Arik Air had 37,772 inbound passengers and another 38,987 as outbound passengers in January 2024, totalling 76,759 passengers.
“For February, the airline recorded 38,217 as inbound and 39,209 as outbound, totalling 77,426; March, 37,183 as inbound and 37,642 as outbound, making it a total of 74,825; April, 31,326 as inbound and 31,971 as outbound, making 63,297.
“The airline in May 2024, also recorded 39,006 as inbound and 39,765 as outbound passengers, totalling 78,771 for the month, while the month of June had 37,710 as inbound and 38,617 as outbound, totalling 76,327.
“July, 156,146 as inbound and 159,044 as outbound, totalling 315,190; August, the airline recorded 153,080 as inbound and 144,259 as outbound, making it a total figure of 297,339 within the period.
“For the month of September, Arik Air recorded 143,396 as inbound and 145,096 as outbound, making it a total figure of 288,492; October, 129,506 as inbound and 133,330 as outbound, totalling 262,836.
“November, 252,448 as inbound and 255,578 as outbound, making it a total of 508,026, while December had 56,568 as inbound and 63,322 as outbound, making it a total of 119,890 passengers ferried within the period.”
The NCAA report, according to AMCON, indicated that Arik Air recorded only one overbooking or denied boarding incident in 2024, which occurred in October.
“Also, a month-by-month breakdown of flights operated by Arik Air in 2024 showed that the airline had a total number of 380 flights in January 2024; 419 flights in February and 468 flights in March 2024,” the agency said.
“Further breakdown showed that for the month of April, the airline operated a total number of 340 flights; May, 374; June, 350, while it peaked in July, going as high as 1,403 flights in just one month.
“Besides, in August, the airline operated 1,320 flights; in September, 1,352; in October, 1,266; in November, 2,442, while it operated a total of 585 flights in December 2024. The airline within the period also had a total number of complaints among the air travellers, with just 190, with the majority being resolved by the airline.
“The further breakdown of complaints indicated that for the month of January, there were no single complaints from any of its air passengers ferried within the period, had just two complaints in February, while March recorded only one complaint.
“April had four complaints; May, two; June, one; July, three; August received seven complaints; September, 28; October, 50; November, 67, while December 2024 recorded only 25 complaints from the flying public.
“Besides, Arik Air did not record a single baggage miss in 2024, with all 84 delayed baggage items, as indicated by the NCAA statistics, handed over to their owners.”
Olumide Ohunayo, general secretary of the Aviation Safety Round Table Initiative, described Arik Air’s 2024 performance as exceptional, transporting 2.23 million passengers, which he said reflects the airline’s resilience and strategic management under challenging conditions.
“With a 13.4 percent market share out of the 11.5 million total domestic passengers, Arik Air’s sustained dominance highlights its strong operational efficiency,” Ohunayo said.
“This result demonstrates Arik’s operational stability under receivership. Despite financial constraints, distractive litigations, fleet limitations, and regulatory challenges, the airline continued to deliver reliable air travel services, showing effective route management and passenger demand optimisation.
“It should be noted that Arik Air suffered severe disruptions due to a high court order grounding some of its aircraft last year when mediation was a better option to the instantaneous grounding by the executive.”
Also, Roland Iyayi, managing director of Top Brass Aviation Limited, praised Arik Air’s feat, stating that securing the second position in Nigeria’s domestic market ahead of Ibom Air (1.3 million passengers), Max Air (915,918), and Aero Contractors (964,900) is a “huge and massive achievement” given its receivership challenges.
“Arik Air’s performance is remarkable given its limited access to fresh capital, ageing fleet, and regulatory hurdles tied to its receivership status,” Iyayi said.
“The Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) strategic support deserves recognition for its crucial role in stabilising Arik Air, ensuring its continued operations, and maintaining confidence among passengers.”
Iyayi credited AMCON’s intervention for Arik Air’s continued relevance in Nigeria’s aviation industry, preserving jobs, economic contributions, and ensuring safe services for travellers.
In January, the corporation said Arik Air and its affiliate companies had racked up debts exceeding N455 billion as of December 31, 2024.
National
Natasha: Thousands at homecoming rally rubbished recall process – Youth groups

Two groups, Northern Peoples Congress and Afenifere Youth Stakeholders’ Forum, has declared that the massive presence of constituents at the homecoming rally organised for Kogi West Senator, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan has all but ended the recall process initiated against her.
The groups both spoke to journalists shortly after the rally which was held on Tuesday despite efforts by the Kogi State Government to stop it.
The Chairman of the Northern peoples Congress, and the coordinator, Afenifere Youth Stakeholders’ Forum, Yusuf Alero and Kehinde Olatunde, respectively, said those behind the recall process against the Senator should be hiding their faces in shame.
In a joint statement they made available to journalists, they said, “The thousands of people who trooped out, walked long distances on their own, was a clear indication that Senator Natasha is cherished and loved by her people.
“What we saw was organic love, expressed wholeheartedly by the people despite the fruitless efforts of the powers that be.
“Having initiated the kangaroo recall process, their plan was to stop anything that would prove to the world that Senator Natasha’s constituents have no hand in it.
“However, they failed woefully as the people defied intimidation, defied the associated stress and trekked long distances to this place.
“The Kogi State Government and their accomplices should be hiding their faces in shame right now. They have been exposed before the world that they are not on ground in the state despite the mago mago electoral process that brought the current governor into power.”
The Igbo groups cautioned the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to live up to its name and avoid making itself a willful tool in the hands of politicians.
“All eyes are under the compromised INEC under Prof Yakubu Mahmood; he has never conducted a credible election in Kogi State.
“However, with what happened on Tuesday, the INEC does not need to be told that the people are ready to put their lives on the line to defend the mandate they gave to Senator Natasha.
“It is no longer business as usual; this particular case is business unusual,” the groups declared.