Connect with us

Security

Army Assures Ogun Residents: No Need To Worry About Explosive Sounds

Published

on

The Nigerian Army extends its assurance to the residents of Owode Ajilete in Ogun State concerning the anticipated loud sounds of explosives during a significant operation.

The detonation of these explosives is part of “EXERCISE CLEAN SWEEP,” aimed at clearing remnants of unexploded ordnances from the site of the 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast.

This exercise, overseen by Director Army Public Relations, Brig. General Onyema Nwachukwu, is in advanced stages and has already led to the recovery of various calibres of unexploded ordnances that require professional and safe disposal.

As previously highlighted during the inauguration press briefing and Flag Off by the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Taoreed Lagbaja on 10 October 2023, the Nigerian Army has scheduled the disposal of these recovered unexploded ordnances at the Nigerian Army Range in Owode, Ajilete, Ogun State.

The operation is set to take place on Friday, 27 October 2023, from 10 am to 4 pm.

During the transportation of these unexploded ordnances from Ikeja Cantonment to Nigerian Army Shooting Range, Owode, Ajilete, the detonation of explosives is expected to produce a loud noise, audible from a considerable distance.

In light of this, the Nigerian Army urges the general public, especially residents of Owode, Ajilete, and the surrounding areas, not to be alarmed but to continue with their regular and lawful activities.

The explosive sounds, though significant, do not pose a security threat.

A specific appeal is made to farmers and landowners within the vicinity of the Nigerian Army Shooting Range Ajilete, Owode Ogun State, to stay clear during the exercise for their safety.

ALSO READ:  Insecurity: Return to your State, northern group tells Zamfara Governor

The Nigerian Army emphasizes that all necessary precautions have been taken to ensure the safety of lives and property throughout the duration of this exercise.

Security

Benue Residents Protest Against ‘Incessant Killings, Abductions

Published

on

Residents of Otukpo in Benue south district have staged a protest against the incessant cases of kidnappings and killings by suspected herdsmen.

The Tuesday demonstration saw protesters, mostly youths, occupy the Otukpo-Enugu federal highway, calling on the government to address the growing insecurity in the state.

There has been a surge in cases of killings and kidnappings allegedly carried out by suspected herdsmen in several LGAs in Benue state.

When contacted, Catherine Anene, the police spokesperson in the state, told TheCable that the protest was brought under control by security operatives.

“The protest is under control at the moment; we would let you know as soon as there is further information,” Anene said.

On March 10, 13 people, including women and children, were reportedly killed in an attack by suspected herdsmen on Katsina Ala LGA of the state.

The gunmen were said to have attacked several communities, including Utange council, Kpav, Dikpo, and the Imande Gberihwa area of the state.

ALSO READ:  Army Kicks Off Inter-Brigade Competition in Abia
Continue Reading

News

Group Condemns Linking Ex-Taraba Council Boss to Southern Taraba Unrest

Published

on

The Takum Renaissance Forum(TRF)has condemned a press release issue by STYCOP headed by Rikwensi Muri associating’s increasing surge in insecurity and unrest in Southern Taraba to former Takum local government chairman Shiban Tikari.

In a statement issue by the group secretary Emmanuel Joro, it says for the avoidance of doubt, they wouldn’t have dabbled into the issue, but for the sake of records, they’ve chosen to react.

In Muri’s press release which states that “We must also remember the actions of Hon. Shiban Tikari, former chairman of Takum Local Government Council, who similarly exploited the “Tiv Militias,” “Kuteb Militias,” and “Fulani Militias” narrative to destabilize the region”.

The Group responded by saying “It is on records that Hon. Shiban stabilized the atmosphere of Takum and environs during his tenure. His administration was not marred by state-sponsored kidnappings, murders and sacking of more than 100 communities by mercenary bandits brought against the Kuteb communities as claimed by Rikwensi Muri, in his usual false accusations. Muri and his co-travellers are the same ones who were bent on throwing Takum and Ussa communities into the pool of crisis. Everybody knew it. Fulani herdsmen were said to have paid millions to their kuteb Chiefs before being given permission to bring their cows to graze in ussa LGA. Muri is quiet about it.”

The group further stated that the former Taraba State Governor, Darius Ishaku agreed to compensate the herders on the lost of their cows to stop attacking Kuteb communities, but instead after the money had come to their possession for compensation to be paid to the Fulani, it was diverted. They instead opted for the money to be used for arms procurement to fight the Fulani herdsmen.

ALSO READ:  Revolutionizing NSCDC: The Remarkable Trajectory Of Ahmed Abubakar Audi

“Why are the likes of Muri and their cohorts, who wanted war with Fulani and called for it, still turning around to blame Gov DDI led administration alongside the then chairmen of Takum and Wukari for their woes”?

“It’s good to note that we are above media trials and other sensational lies to curry public sympathy. Muri has been attacking the image of the Governor of Taraba state, Dr Agbu Kefas and other notable personalities in the state like our fathers, Gen TY Danjuma and the Aku Uka, The Chief of Takum and other notable personalities, but we are not beginning to take this as an exception. Muri’s height of media rascality is a charade taken far”.

“Of all these, none of us or even the authority have chosen to arrest him for defamation. Why? Because of his lunatic approaches and the cheap relevance he is looking for, we can’t give him. The public is always aware of his sponsors and where he is driving. But we repeat, with exception, if he decides to take this further because at hand, we are beginning to gather his incisive and inflammatory posts for litigation against him in court” the statement reads.

The group further highlights that Muri press Release is to incite the gullible public against Hon. Shiban over lies and fabrication of falsehood and also maliciously attacking the present chairman of Wukari local government, Hon Agbu Samaila “having known that the attackers of those innocent KYK members of CRCN in Jootar were Tiv militia, those he has been calling for coalition with”.

ALSO READ:  Ukraine Sues Russia Over Genocide Claim In UN’s Highest Court

The group defend that Hon. Shiban Tikari has never been on the run, but in his hometown in Takum. And the media trial being stage-managed by Muri to demean his image has long fallen.

“We are therefore calling on the general public to be wary with the activities of the so-called STYCOP being handled by Muri. It is not a peace building organization as being peddled but an organization aimed at stirring chaos in the southern part of Taraba state. It is a potential terrorist breeding camp”.

Continue Reading

Security

Fish Out Killers Of Travellers In Edo, Tinubu Orders Security Agencies

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has given marching orders to security agencies to fish out those behind the killing of some travellers in Edo State.

The victims, who were said to be travelling from Port Harcourt to the northern part of Nigeria, were allegedly killed by a mob in Uromi, Edo State, on Thursday.

While reacting to the incident, President Bola Tinubu described it as dastardly.

“The President, who expressed shock at the dastardly act on Thursday, directed Police and other security agencies to conduct swift and thorough investigations and punish the suspected culprits,” presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga said in a statement on Friday.

The President noted that jungle justice has no place in Nigeria, and all Nigerians have the freedom to move freely in any part of the country.

Tinubu condoled with the families of the affected people and assured them “that criminals would not be allowed to shed the blood of innocent Nigerians in vain”.

Meanwhile, the Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has visited the community, condemning the killing of the travellers.

The governor described the incident as barbaric, according to a statement from his spokesman Fred Itua, and ordered a full-scale investigation into the killing.

“The Governor directed the State Police Command and other security agencies to conduct thorough and speedy investigations into the matter and bring those found culpable to book. He also charged the community to work with the security agencies to fish out the culprits,” Itua said in a statement on Friday

“Governor Okpebholo also commended community leaders, especially the leadership of Arewa community in the area, for deescalating tensions and handling the situation with restrain.”

ALSO READ:  Revolutionizing NSCDC: The Remarkable Trajectory Of Ahmed Abubakar Audi

The governor promised justice for the victims and maintained that there is “no excuse for the vigilante members to take the law into their hands without recourse to statutory law enforcement agencies”.

Continue Reading