• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Alleged N110bn fraud: Court admits ex-Kogi governor, Yahaya Bello to N500m bail

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
December 19, 2024
in News
0
Alleged N110bn fraud: Court admits ex-Kogi governor, Yahaya Bello to N500m bail
0
SHARES
10
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

A Federal Capital Territory High Court on Thursday, admitted the immediate past Governor of Kogi, Yahaya Bello, to bail in the sum of N500 million with three sureties in like sum.

Justice Maryann Anenih had, on Dec. 10, refused the ex-governor’s bail application, saying it was filed prematurely.

RelatedPosts

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

While delivering the initial ruling, she said, having been filed when the 1st defendant was neither in custody nor before the court, the instant application was incompetent.

There was, however room for the governor’s lawyers to file a fresh application for bail and apply for hearing date.

The former governor is facing an alleged money laundering trial to the tune of N110bn, along with two others.

He had pleaded not guilty to the 16-count charges brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

At the resumed hearing on Thursday , Counsel for the former governor, Joseph Daudu, SAN, informed the court that the defence counsels had filed a further affidavit in response to the counter affidavit filed and served by the prosecution counsels.

He applied to withdraw the further affidavit, saying, “we do not want to make the matter contentious.”

There was no objection from the prosecution counsel, Olukayode Enitan, SAN. The court, therefore, granted the application for withdrawal, striking out the further affidavit.

Daudu, also informed the court that discussions had taken place with the leader of the prosecution counsels, resulting in an agreement to ensure a speedy trial.

ALSO READ:  Obi Takes Easter Message to Mosque, Preaches Unity, Collaboration

In light of this understanding, Daudu urged the court to grant the bail application.

He further requested that if the court would graciously grant the Defendant bail, the court should kindly review the bail conditions for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd defendants.

He urged the court to broaden the scope of properties to be used as bail sureties to include locations across the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), rather than limiting the location solely to Maitama.

The prosecution counsel, Enitan SAN, acknowledged that Daudu SAN had been in talks with the prosecution team.

In accordance with the Rules of Professional Conduct (RPC), the EFCC Counsel gave assurance of their cooperation in expediting the trial.

He said, “I confirm the evidence given by the distinguished member of the bar that is leading the Defence, J.B. Daudu, SAN, that he has been in conversation with the leader of the prosecuting team.

“In the legal tradition, we should cooperate with members of the bar when it does not affect the course of justice.

“We have decided not to make this contentious, bearing in mind that no matter how industrious the defence counsel might be in pushing forward the application for bail and no matter how vociferous the prosecution counsel can argue against the bail application, your lordship is bound by your discretion to grant or not to grant the application.

“We are therefore leaving this to your lordship’s discretion.”

Delivering her ruling, Justice Anenih acknowledged that the offence the 1st Defendant was charged with was a bailable one and granted the ex-governor bail in the sum of N500 million, with three sureties in like sum.

ALSO READ:  LG to unveil AI-powered spaces at CES 2026

The sureties must be notable Nigerians with landed property in Maitama, Jabi, Utako, Apo, Guzape, Garki and Asokoro.

Bello was also asked to deposit his international passport and other travel documents with the court.

He is to remain in Kuje Correctional Centre until the bail conditions are met.(NAN)

Details later…

Tags: Yahaya Bello
Previous Post

MNR urges Tinubu to revert to 1963 constitution

Next Post

EndBadGovernance protesters deny seeing Khalid tortured in DSS detention

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted...

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Next Post
EndBadGovernance protesters deny seeing Khalid tortured in DSS detention

EndBadGovernance protesters deny seeing Khalid tortured in DSS detention

MNJTF Forces Successfully Thwart ISWAP Assault, Eliminate 10 Militants in Darak, Cameroon

MNJTF Forces Successfully Thwart ISWAP Assault, Eliminate 10 Militants in Darak, Cameroon

Recommended

Shettima: NextGen Hackathon Key to Nigeria’s Digital Hub Ambition

Shettima: NextGen Hackathon Key to Nigeria’s Digital Hub Ambition

6 days ago
Tinubu Appoints Diplomat Yusuf to Lead Hajj Commission Amid Reshuffle

Tinubu Appoints Diplomat Yusuf to Lead Hajj Commission Amid Reshuffle

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,072)
  • News (9,646)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform