Connect with us

News

Alleged money laundering: Court adjourns Yahaya Bello’s trial to April 3

Published

on

Justice MaryAnne Anenih of the Federal Capital Territory High Court, Abuja, has adjourned the trial in the alleged money laundering case against the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, to 3rd, 24th April, and 6th May, 2024.

Justice Anenih adjourned the case for the continuation of the hearing after the first witness, Fabian Nworah, a property developer, was called to testify.

At the day’s proceedings, the Prosecution Counsel, Kemi Pinheiro, SAN, informed the court that he had five witnesses to call for the day. However, Justice MaryAnne Anenih said she could only take one witness.

Counsel for the 1st and 2nd Defendants, Joseph Daudu, SAN, informed the court that the prosecution had not made the statements on oath of the 2nd Defendant available to the defence team. He said he was aware that the 1st Defendant had not made any statement yet.

Daudu, SAN, also objected to the witness presented by the prosecution, arguing that the defendants had no prior knowledge of the witness and were only seeing him in court for the first time. Citing authorities, he emphasised that legal proceedings should not be a “hide and seek” game, stating that the prosecution was required to provide the witness’ statements on oath in advance so the defence could adequately prepare for cross-examination.

“The statements of the second defendant have not been served on us to be able to know if we will be able to represent him or not. So, it is a serious handicap on us. They need to serve us all the statements made by the defendants. I understand the first defendant has not made a statement. Fortunately, we are still within the housekeeping stage of the proceeding,” he added.

ALSO READ:  Atiku Backs Lagos Corper Facing Threats Over Viral Video

Corroborating this, Counsel for the 3rd Defendant, Abubakar Aliyu, SAN, said, “Mine is not a comment but an observation, my lord. My application is for the court to order the prosecution to provide us with the statements of the 2nd and 3rd defendants.”

When the judge asked if he had previously requested the statements, Aliyu, SAN, said he discovered on Tuesday that the said statements were not part of the proof of evidence served on the defendants. He stated, “I am also applying that the court order the prosecution to provide us with copies of recovered digital devices and the report or the extract therefrom mentioned on Page 14 of Volume 1 of the proof of evidence and the report of the forensic expert if any. I am following the procedure followed in Okoye against the Commissioner of Police, which was adopted by the Supreme Court in Okemini Vs Comm of Police.”

The Prosecution, however, disagreed, saying the Defendants were trying to delay a speedy trial. He insisted that the proof of evidence had been served on the defendants on November 27.

“The constitutional provision, which they rely on, does not imply that the prosecution should provide all the documents which it relies on. The law only provides that the prosecution should oblige the defence with all the documents requested for,” Pinheiro argued.

He noted that the issues would be addressed whenever they receive formal applications from the Defendants and urged the court to proceed with the business for the day. “As it is, we have almost utilised more than an hour on these arguments,” he stated.

ALSO READ:  Sokoto Governor Bags ANCOPS's Excellence Award In Education

The judge asked the Defendant’s Counsel why he did not raise the issues in December. Daudu, SAN, replied that it was because it had to be done after arraignment. “I have applied and they are not obliging me. It is absolutely necessary for our defence,” Counsel for the 3rd Defendant said.

The judge, however, declined the application for adjournment and directed the prosecution to proceed with the case.

The Prosecution then proceeded to call its first witness, Fabian Nworah, a property developer with Efab Property Nigeria Limited. Nworah testified that he was invited to the Economic and Financial Crimes on February 8, 2023, regarding a transaction between Shehu Bello and EFAB Property concerning a property located at No. 1 Ikogosi Street, Maitama.

However, throughout his submission in court on Wednesday, he didn’t mention the name of former Governor Yahaya Bello. He stated that he sold the said property to Shehu Bello but observed that the name on the sale agreement was Dr. Bello Ohiani, not Shehu Bello.

He said, in 2023, Shehu Bello approached EFAB Property, informing them that the property was under investigation by the EFCC. He returned all documents related to the purchase and demanded a refund of the N550 million that was paid.

Subsequently, he said, EFAB Property was invited by the EFCC to explain what transpired between them and Shehu Bello. The EFCC instructed the company to refund the entire sum to an EFCC-designated account. EFAB Property complied in two batches.

Since then, Nworah said he had not had any contact with Shehu Bello or Dr. Bello Ohiani until December 2024, when the EFCC summoned them to court to testify as witnesses in the case related to their transaction with Shehu Bello.

ALSO READ:  Former Israeli Intelligence Official Sheds Light On Hamas' Shift In Negotiation Stance

After listening to the witness, Justice MaryAnne Anenih adjourned the case to 3rd, 24th April, and 6th May, 2025, for the continuation of the hearing.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Italy ‘ll Invest In Kaduna – Envoy

Published

on

Lacopo Foti, the ambassador of Italy to Nigeria, says his country is ready to collaborate with Kaduna manufacturing and technology, pledging to support investments from Italian companies in the state.

Foti spoke during a courtesy visit to Hadiza Balarabe, Kaduna’s deputy governor, at the Sir Kashim Ibrahim House on Saturday.

The envoy also highlighted Italy’s willingness to collaborate with the state government.

“We have come to introduce ourselves, learn about the government’s plans, and see if there are investments which you want the Italian Embassy to facilitate,” Foti was quoted as saying in a statement.

“If there are private investments you desire in Kaduna, especially in machinery or manufacturing, or if you have plans for the next few years, let us know. If you’re interested in agricultural machinery companies like tractor plants, we can make contact with them.”

The ambassador also encouraged the state government to approach the Italian embassy for partnerships.

“We are ready to collaborate in manufacturing, technology and other areas,” he added.

Foti expressed optimism that in the coming months, Italy and Kaduna would collaborate on agriculture, education, and training — pending proposals from the state regarding their interests to present to the Italian government.

He said Italian investors would find Kaduna’s climate more favourable than Abuja’s, noting that the state is also people-friendly.

“We have Italians living here; this visit is an opportunity to meet them and see how we can help them and the State Government,” the envoy noted.

In response, Balarabe acknowledged the long-standing relationship between Italy and Nigeria, expressing interest in strengthening economic ties.

ALSO READ:  Palm Sunday: Apostle Momo Admonishes Christians To Imbibe Spirit Of Sacrifice

She highlighted Kaduna’s advantages in agriculture, solid minerals, tourism, energy, technology, and human capital development, noting that the state is the largest producer of maize, tomatoes, and ginger in Nigeria.

“Italy excels in manufacturing, technology, education, and renewable energy. I hope we can establish collaboration in these areas,” the deputy governor said.

Balarabe, who directed the Kaduna Investment Promotion Agency (KADIPA) to prepare a proposal for the Italian embassy, also expressed hope that the ambassador’s visit would initiate substantial discussions between the state and Italy.

She said Kaduna looks forward to further engagement with the ambassador, expressing hope that it would not be his last visit to the state.

Continue Reading

Politics

No Vacancy In Aso Rock, Sir Kashim Ibrahim House, APC Declares

Published

on

The Executive Committee and Stakeholders of the All Progressives Congress(APC) in Zangon Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State have passed a vote of confidence on President Bola Tinubu and Governor Uba Sani ahead of 2027, declaring that there would not be vacancy in the Aso Rock Villa and Sir Kashim Ibrahim House Kaduna during the next election.

This is contained in a communiqué signed by Francis Danladi Kozah and Jerry Irimiya Mark, chairman and co-chairman of the APC stakeholders and read by the council chairman, Joseph Bege.

The communique stated that the decision was taken based on President Tinubu and Governor Uba Sani’s commitments to the peace and security of not just Zangon Kataf, but Kaduna state at large.

According to the stakeholders, the establishment of a military 2nd National Mission Brigade base in the local government has proven to be a pivotal move in sustaining peace in the area.

“Their commitment to the peace and security of our people is evident in the sudden end to attacks on our communities.

“This move reflects the government’s understanding of the critical need for enhanced security measures in areas prone to conflict, thereby fostering an environment where citizens can thrive.

“We urge all residents of Zangon Kataf to remain vigilant and committed to fostering harmony within our communities, as peace is the cornerstone of development,” They said.

The stakeholders lauded Tinubu for appointing Indigenes of Zangon Kataf including Gen. Chris Musa as Chief of Defence Staff and Bishop Hassan Kukah as Pro Chancellor of the Federal University of Applied Sciences, Kachia.

ALSO READ:  Palm Sunday: Apostle Momo Admonishes Christians To Imbibe Spirit Of Sacrifice

They explained that given the return of peace in the area and the tangible infrastructural development being witnessed, the re-election of Tinubu and Sani was a done deal.

“In light of all that we have benefited from this government, we want to declare that there is no vacancy in Sir Kashim Ibrahim House and Aso Rock come 2027.

“We shall offer our full support to both President Bola Tinubu and Governor Uba Sani in their re-election bid,” they added.

They appreciated Gov. Sani for the ongoing multi-billion naira skills acquisition city that will provide ‘our youths with certified skills, thereby stamping out the root cause of criminality in our society’.

The stakeholders called on people of the local government to rally behind the two leaders as they have shown dedication to their welfare, security and progress.

Continue Reading

Business

Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises 48% To N144.67trn In 2024

Published

on

Nigeria’s public debt rose by 48.5 per cent year-on-year (YoY) to N144.67 trillion ($94.23 billion) in 2024 from N97.34 trillion ($108.23 billion) in 2023.

The Debt Management Office (DMO) disclosed this in its latest public debt profile report.
The debt stock consists of external debt of N70.29 trillion ($45.78 billion) serviced with $4.66 million and domestic debt of N74.38 trillion ($48.44 billion).
The report showed that the country’s external debt increased by 83.89 per cent YoY from N38.22 trillion ($42.5 billion) in 2023.

Domestic debt also grew by 25.7 per cent YoY from N59.12 trillion ($65.73 billion) in 2023.
The report further indicated that the Federal Government’s domestic debt component rose by 32 per cent YoY to N70.41 trillion from N53.26 trillion in 2023.
But the domestic debt of states and the Federal Capital Territory declined YoY by 32 per cent to N3.97 trillion in 2024 from N5.86 trillion in 2023.

The rise in public debt can be attributed to fluctuating trends in exchange rates amidst changes in global economic conditions.

The sharp increase, particularly in external debt, highlights the nation’s vulnerability to exchange rate volatility and changes in global economic conditions.
With the continued depreciation of the naira, the cost of servicing foreign debt could escalate, adding pressure on the country’s financial resources.

ALSO READ:  Renewed Policing; One Year of Imaan's Policy Revolution in Ministry of Police Affairs
Continue Reading