• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

FCT Primary School Teachers to End Strike after Wike’s Intervention

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
July 4, 2025
in News
0
Defection: Wike hails Okowa, Gov. Oborevwori’s support for Tinubu

Prospects of Resolution in Rivers State as Wike Affirms Fubara's Loyalty

0
SHARES
12
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

The Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Federal Capital Territory (FCT) chapter, may soon call off the three-month strike by primary school teachers, following the intervention of the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike.

Chief of staff to the minister, Chidi Amadi, disclosed this on Thursday, after a closed-door meeting with the area council chairmen, leadership of the NUT, and representatives of the FCT Administration.

RelatedPosts

LPCF alleges political witch-hunt In El-Rufai’s arrest

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

He said other participants at the meeting included representatives of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANs) and the National Assembly.

Mr Amadi explained that the meeting was convened by the minister, in addition to previous interventions, to find a lasting solution to the prolonged teachers’ strike.

According to him, after extensive deliberation, a decision was reached to put the issues to rest.

He announced that part of the resolution was to withhold 10 per cent of the accrued internally generated revenue (IGR) of the area councils for the past six months.

He explained that the funds would be used to settle 70 per cent of the minimum wage owed to the teachers.

“Although it will not cover 100 per cent of the debt for now, it will cover about 70 per cent. This is a laudable move towards addressing the fracas once and for all,” Mr Amadi said.

The chief of staff added that the minister had also directed that a special committee, composed of three members from NUT, two members from FCTA, one area council chairman, and a representative of NANs, be set up to revisit outstanding issues.

ALSO READ:  Zamfara Group Slams Governor Dauda For Reckless Borrowing 28bn In Just Nine Months

Mr Amadi said that Mr Wike also decided to address the issues of local government employees to ensure they resume operations.

Speaking on behalf of the area council chairmen, Abubakar Abdullahi acknowledged the resolution, saying, “Although it was not in favour of the area councils, it was necessary to resolve the issues.

“Six months of our IGR had been held to settle this issue. Ours at this point is to appeal to the NUT to consider our children and call off the strike. Please, NUT, we are calling on you to respect the fact that the minister has taken his time to resolve this matter.

“Wike had clearly stated that by law, he has no right to take the 10 per cent IGR of the area councils to clear the outstanding debt of the teachers. However, the chairmen have all agreed because they also, collectively, want an end to the strike, and so we have agreed that the 10 per cent IGR should go to the teachers,” Mr Abdullahi said.

He expressed optimism that the strike would be called off before Friday, so that children could return to school.

The national president of NANs, Olushola Oladoja, commended the minister for taking the bold step, stressing that any of the council chairmen could take him to court over such a decision.

On his part, the NUT chairman, Mohammed Shafa, acknowledged the deliberation but said he would get back to the NUT State Executive Council, where the final decision would be taken.

The teachers had embarked on the strike in March over the non-implementation of the minimum wage.

ALSO READ:  Customs intercept N468m contraband in 17 days

Other issues included non-implementation and payment of a 25 per cent and 35 per cent salary increase, and non-implementation and payment of a 40 per cent peculiar allowance.

The union were also demanding the payment of the ₦35,000 wage award and the implementation of the template on outstanding entitlements of teachers as agreed in 2022.

(NAN)

Tags: School Teachers
Previous Post

Ex-Super Eagles Goalkeeper Dies At 61

Next Post

Reps Advance Bill for Free Access to Internet in Public Places

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

El-Rufai: Tinubu’s Govt Most Corrupt, Worst in Nigerian History

LPCF alleges political witch-hunt In El-Rufai’s arrest

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Ojima-ojo The Labour Party Candidates Forum on Tuesday alleged political persecution in the arrest of former Kaduna State...

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted...

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Next Post

Reps Advance Bill for Free Access to Internet in Public Places

Apapa Customs Shut 3 Terminals, Intercepted 27 lllegal Containers in 6 Months – Official

Apapa Customs Shut 3 Terminals, Intercepted 27 lllegal Containers in 6 Months - Official

Recommended

Impoundment of commercial motorcycles reducing crime in Abuja – DRTS

Arewa Youths Petition DRTS Over Alleged Faulty Car Sale

6 days ago
Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,074)
  • News (9,647)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform