• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

ECOWAS activates standby force to tackle terrorism

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
March 11, 2025
in News
0
0
SHARES
6
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

The Economic Community of West African States has activated its standby force to combat terrorism in the sub-region.

The regional body had, in October last year, hinted at the establishment of a 5,000-man kinetic force to tackle terrorism in the region.

RelatedPosts

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Speaking at the 43rd ordinary meeting of the ECOWAS Committee of Chiefs of Defence Staff in Abuja on Tuesday, the Minister of Defence, Abubakar Badaru, said the activation of this force underscores the collective determination of member countries to confront the threat of terrorism.

He said, “Central to our discussions in the coming days are pressing issues concerning the ECOWAS Standby Force, ECOWAS peace support operations, as well as maritime security in the Gulf of Guinea. I am confident that our deliberations will be marked by a spirit of collaboration, innovation, and determination as we work toward drafting a comprehensive strategy to address the security challenges in the subregion.

“By leveraging our collective expertise, resources, and commitment, we can make a tangible impact on fostering peace, stability, and prosperity in the sub-region.

“In this regard, I am pleased to announce the activation of the ECOWAS Standby Force to combat terrorism in the sub-region. This activation underscores our collective determination to confront the threat of terrorism and ensure the security of the subregion.

“With regard to security and ensuring the safety of our citizens, let me express my profound gratitude to each of you for your ongoing dedication, professionalism, and commitment to the security and well-being of our people. Let us approach our deliberations with a sense of purpose, unity, and resolve, knowing that we have the power to shape a more secure and prosperous future for our subregion.”

ALSO READ:  Edo Boosts Skills Of 150 Youths In Poultry Farming

The ECOWAS Commissioner for Political Affairs, Peace, and Security, Abdel-Fatau Musah, said that despite the recent withdrawal of three African countries from the regional body, ECOWAS would maintain the free movement of persons and goods for their citizens.

He also said plans were in place to mitigate the unforeseen consequences of the withdrawal of Niger, Burkina Faso, and Mali.

 

He stated, “As you are aware, on January 29, 2025, Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger formally withdrew their membership from ECOWAS. Following the directives of the Authority of Heads of State and Government at the last summit in December 2024, the ECOWAS Commission has now initiated a contingency plan to mitigate the unforeseen consequences of their withdrawal. Therefore, I call on you to critically examine the implications of their withdrawal on regional security in the course of your deliberations.

“I also wish to stress that ECOWAS still has its doors open to welcome back our brothers and sisters from the three countries that recently withdrew from our community.

“In this regard, the ECOWAS Committee of Heads of State has directed that, despite the withdrawal, ECOWAS must maintain the free movement of people and goods, as well as the right of settlement and establishment, for all citizens of our community, including those from Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger. This aligns with ECOWAS’ vision of building a united community, ensuring that ordinary citizens of our member states do not suffer.”

In his remarks, the Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa, said military leaders were aware that without a secure and conducive environment, economic growth and development would continue to elude the region.

ALSO READ:  Police recover gun, ammunition from fleeing robbery suspects in Enugu

Musa called on military chiefs to support political leadership by ensuring a secure environment for economic development to thrive.

He said, “The complexity of the security landscape demands that we leverage our collective expertise, and intelligence assets, and coordinate our efforts across borders if we must solve these challenges. The world has become a global village, and the gap between us is shrinking even more. Thus, collaboration is paramount and imperative to address both the root causes and symptoms of insecurity in our region.

“Some of the critical areas under discussion include the proposed review of pledges for the ECOWAS Standby Force, consideration of pledges for the ECOWAS Standby Force Counter Terrorist Brigade, and the rotation of staff officers of Peace Support Operations Divisions and the ECOWAS Standby Force, as well as maritime security in the Gulf of Guinea.

“Others include the presentation of the outcome of the Governmental Experts Meeting on the ECOWAS Logistics Concept and the Standing Operating Procedures for the ECOWAS Logistics Depot in Lungi.”

Solomon Odeniyi
The PUNCH journalist, Solomon, has five years experience covering crime, judiciary and defence beats.

Tags: ECOWAS
Previous Post

Panel begins probe into alleged corruption in correctional service

Next Post

Reps urge CBN to suspend new ATM charges

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled a hearing for February 24 concerning a suit aimed at compelling the...

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The trial of former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Adoza Bello, continued on Wednesday, February 11, 2026, before Justice Maryanne...

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

Nigeria has called for fiscal discipline, institutional accountability, reform, and timely implementation of audit recommendations across African Union (AU) organs....

Next Post
Reps urge CBN to suspend new ATM charges

Reps urge CBN to suspend new ATM charges

Women’s Group Apologizes to Senate President, Nigerians Over Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan’s Conduct

Women’s Group Apologizes to Senate President, Nigerians Over Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan’s Conduct

Recommended

Kukah Disclaim Those Using His Name To Solicit Funds From Unsuspecting Individuals

Kukah Disclaim Those Using His Name To Solicit Funds From Unsuspecting Individuals

6 days ago
Lassa Fever Outbreak in Bauchi: 11 Cases and Four Deaths Confirmed

Lassa Fever Outbreak in Bauchi: 11 Cases and Four Deaths Confirmed

2 hours ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (256)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,070)
  • News (9,643)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform