• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

WHO says 400,000 children worldwide develop cancer yearly

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
February 13, 2025
in News
0
0
SHARES
13
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

The World Health Organisation (WHO) Director-General, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, said that every year, an estimated 400,000 children worldwide develop cancer.

Ghebreyesus said this on Wednesday during an online media conference on global health issues.

RelatedPosts

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

According to him, in high-income countries, almost 90 per cent of children survive while in low-income and middle -income countries, survival rates are often below 30 per cent.

“In 2018, WHO established a Global Initiative on Childhood Cancer with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in the United States and more than 100 other partners.

“As part of the initiative, WHO and St. Jude have also established a global platform to improve access to lifesaving medicines for children with cancer in low- and middle-income countries,” he said.

Ghebreyesus said that on Tuesday, it began distributing childhood cancer medicines at no cost in the first two countries: Mongolia and Uzbekistan.

WHO boss said that the shipments of medicines are planned for another four countries: Ecuador, Jordan, Nepal and Zambia.

“We estimate these treatments will reach about 5000 children with cancer across at least 30 hospitals in these six countries this year.

“Six more countries have been invited to join the platform, and over the next five to seven years, WHO aims to reach 120,000 children in 50 countries.

“We are very encouraged to see how this programme has grown since we started in 2018, and we thank St. Jude for its partnership,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Police neutralise 4 suspects in gun duel in Ogun

On the world body, he said that the executive board was the second-most important decision making body in WHO after the World Health Assembly.

According to him, in 2024, the board dealt with a large agenda covering the huge range of WHO’s work: emergencies, polio, meningitis, cervical cancer, medical devices, air pollution, and universal health coverage.

“To support WHO’s work around the world, the board recommended that the Health Assembly approves the Programme Budget for 2026 and 2027.

“The Board also recommended that the Health Assembly approve the next 20 per cent increase in assessed contributions and the membership fees that countries pay.

“In 2022, member states agreed to gradually increase assessed contributions from 16 per cent of the base budget to 50 per cent,” Ghebreyesus said.

According to him, the increase approved by the board in the first week of February is the next step towards that target, and is critical for putting WHO on a more sustainable financial footing.

On Ebola, he said that so far, the Ugandan Government had reported nine confirmed cases, including one death.

The boss said that more than 260 contacts had been identified and are being monitored.

“I thank the Government of Uganda for its leadership and partnership.

“WHO is on the ground supporting the government’s response.

“We are providing surge support for surveillance, laboratories, logistics, infection prevention and control in hospitals, treatment centres and research,” he said.

According to him, the National Emergency Medical teams, trained by WHO, are providing care for those infected.

ALSO READ:  Matawalle commends defence ministry staff , pledges open-door policy

The WHO boss said that it was also providing critical supplies from its logistics hubs in Nairobi and Dubai.

“There are no authorised vaccines or therapeutics against the species of Ebola virus responsible for this outbreak.

“But thanks to preparedness measures that the government took after the previous outbreak, and a global research collaboration led by WHO, we were able to start a trial of a candidate vaccine just four days after the outbreak was declared.

“A therapeutics trial will start as soon as national authorities provide approval,” he said.

Ghebreyesus said that to support the response, he was releasing two million dollars from the WHO Contingency Fund for Emergencies.

“This is in addition to the one million dollars that we contributed earlier to set up the initial response,” he said. (NAN)

Tags: CancerChildrenWHO
Previous Post

FULL LIST: Mohbad, Odumodu Blvck, Ayra Starr lead 2025 Headies nomination list

Next Post

Why we suspended 4% FOB levy – Customs

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The trial of former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Adoza Bello, continued on Wednesday, February 11, 2026, before Justice Maryanne...

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

Nigeria has called for fiscal discipline, institutional accountability, reform, and timely implementation of audit recommendations across African Union (AU) organs....

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, says the full scope development of 8.6-kilometre highway 105,...

Next Post
Why we suspended 4% FOB levy – Customs

Why we suspended 4% FOB levy – Customs

Amotekun rescues 16 women from trafficking

Amotekun rescues 16 women from trafficking

Recommended

Nigerian Man Shot Dead in South Africa

Nigerian Man Shot Dead in South Africa

7 days ago
Shettima: NextGen Hackathon Key to Nigeria’s Digital Hub Ambition

Shettima: NextGen Hackathon Key to Nigeria’s Digital Hub Ambition

5 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (255)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (237)
  • National (3,070)
  • News (9,642)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform