News
Alleged N1.3bn fraud: Court orders arrest of Dana Air MD, Ranesh

A Federal High Court in Abuja, on Monday, issued an arrest warrant against the Managing Director (MD) of Dana Air, Mr Hathiramani Ranesh, over alleged refusal to appear in court to stand trial.
Justice Obiora Egwuatu, in a ruling, held that the arrest of Ranesh is necessary following his refusal to appear in court after he was served with the charge and several proceedings taken in the matter.
Justuce Egwuatu held that in line with Section 184 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015, the court can issue an arrest warrant against any defendant who refused to appear in court.
“The 1st defendant is bound to appear before the court and if he does not, the court can issued warrant for his arrest.
“Accordingly relying on the said provision, I hereby issued a warrant of arrest for the arrest of the 1st defendant.
“The defendant shall appear before this court on 13th of January, 2025, before any objection can be taken,” he said.
The judge then adjourned the matter until Jan. 13, 2025 for hearing.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Federal Government, through its lawyer, Mojisola-Okeya Esho, had, on Oct. 10, prayed the court to issue a bench warrant for the arrest of Dana Air.
Esho had argued that Ranesh had refused to appear for his arraignment in the alleged N1.3 billion fraud preferred against him by the Office of the Attorney-General of Federation (AGF).
But the defence lawyer, B. Ademola-Bello, disagreed with Esho.
He argued that they had filed a preliminary objection challenging the jurisdiction of the court to hear the matter and that the prosecution had already been served.
Esho, on her part, objected to taking the preliminary objection on the ground that the defendants ought to be arraigned first before the court could entertain any other application.
The judge then adjourned the matter until Nov. 4 (today) for arraignment and/or hearing of preliminary objection.
NAN reports that the AGF had filed a six-count charge against Ranesh and two others.
In the charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/101/2021 and filed by Moshood Adeyemi, Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions in the office of the AGF and Minister of Justice, Dana Group PLC and Dana Steel Ltd were joined as 2nd and 3rd defendants respectively.
In count one, Ranesh and the two companies, alongside others at large, were alleged to have committed a felony between September and December 2018 within the premises of DANA Steel Rolling Factory in Katsina.
They were alleged to have conspired to remove, convert and sell four units of industrial generators “i.e. three (3) units Ht of 9,000 KVA and 1 unit of 1,000 KVA; all valued at over N450 million, which form part of the Deed of Asset Debenture that were charged as collateral security for a bond issued in your favour, which Deed is still subsisting at all material times.”
In count three, the defendants and others at large at House No. 116, Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, Isolo-Lagos between April 7th and 8th, 2014, were alleged to have conspired to fraudulently divert the sum N864 million.
The money was said to be part of the bond proceeds from Ecobank meant for resuscitation of production at Dana Steel Rolling Factory in Katsina for other unapproved uses.
In count five, the defendants and others at large were alleged to have “conspired to fraudulently remove and transfer to one Atlantic Shrimpers Account No: 0001633175 with Access Bank and divert the sum of N60,300,000 (Sixty Million Three Hundred Thousand Naira).”
The money was said to be part of the bond proceeds from Ecobank meant for resuscitation of production at Dana Steel Rolling Factory in Katsina for other unapproved uses.
The cumulative sum of the amount involved in the charge is N1, 374, 300, 000.
All the offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 516 of the Criminal Code Act, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
NAN observes that Ranesh had not appear in court since the case commenced before Justice Egwuatu.
When the case was called on Monday, Ademola-Bello informed the court that on the last adjourned date, the court directed the parties to file a written address on the points of law regarding Sections 221 and 396(2) of the ACJA, 2015.
“In compliance, we filed our written address on 31st of October, 2024. Upon receipt of prosecution’s response, we also filed a reply on points of law dated 31st day of October, 2024.
“Subject to the convenience of the court, we are ready to proceed,” he said.
Esho, who appeared for the AGF, confirmed being served.
However, Justice Egwuatu asked Ademola-Bello the whereabouts of Ranesh.
“Why are the defendants absent,” the judge asked.
The defence lawyer said Ranesh was not in the country and that the other two defendants are statutory bodies of which Ranesh is their managing director.
Ademola-Bello submitted that he was of the view that the jurisdictional issues raised in their preliminary objection should be addressed first.
“Are we playing here. Where is the respect for the court when the people you are defending are not in court?” the judge asked.
But the lawyer responded that Section 266 of the ACJA, 2015, gives provision for a defendant who is not on court.
“We urge the court to be guided by this provision,” he said.
Justice Egwuatu, who gave his ruling, ordered that Ranesh be arrested and brought to the court in the next adjourned date.(NAN)
News
IGP Withdraws Invitation To Sanusi

The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, has withdrawn the invitation extended to the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi.
The police chief, however, directed the Kano State command of the force to obtain the monarch’s statement in the State regarding the incident.
Egbetokun, who gave the directive through the spokesman of the police, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, said the withdrawal became imperative following the intervention of some stakeholders in the country.
The top cop also said his resolve was in line with the police’s commitment to ensuring that policing actions are not politicized or misinterpreted.
News
Women affairs minister,Hon. Stella Okotete, others to Receive Inspire Her awards

The Inspire Her Conference & Awards 2025, set to take place in Abuja on 17th April, promises to be a celebration of female leadership, resilience, and achievement across Africa.
The event will be led by the Honourable Minister for Women Affairs, Hajiya Imaan Sulaiman-Ibrahim, and the Honourable Minister for State FCT, Dr. Mariya Mahmud, alongside other influential women leaders.
The conference and awards, organised by the Inspiring Youths Africa Initiative & Magazine and Rest Logic Nigeria, will honour a diverse group of exceptional women for their contributions to society and leadership.
Among the distinguished recipients of the Inspire Her Award are Halima Buba, Chief Executive Officer of Sun Trust Bank; Hajiya Umma Getso, the 2019 Vice Presidential Candidate of the Young Progressive Party (YPP); Hon. Stella Okotete, Executive Director of NEXIM Bank; and Engr. Fatima Umar Farouk, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Women Affairs.
The conference will also highlight the achievements of other accomplished female leaders, aiming to inspire women across the continent and encourage resilience, inclusion, and progress.
With the theme “Accelerate Action: Building Resilience,” the conference will address key issues such as gender equality, leadership inclusion, human capital development, work-life balance, and poverty eradication.
In addition to the award ceremony, the event will feature keynote speeches, panel discussions, workshops, and interactive sessions, creating a platform for dialogue on the challenges and opportunities facing African women today.
Attendees will have the chance to engage with top female leaders from both corporate and private sectors, share ideas, and explore potential solutions to enhance women’s roles in leadership and societal progress.
Amb. Jeremiah Agala, Executive Director of the Inspiring Youths Africa Initiative, and Co-Convener Dr. Joy Franklyn Ekemezie, emphasised that the conference would highlight the excellence, hard work, and resilience of African and Nigerian women.
“This year’s conference will feature the Inspire Her Fire Chat, a new addition designed to provide deeper insights into the journeys of our honourees and inspire the next generation of women leaders,” Agala said.
The event, which is expected to attract over 1,000 participants, will take place at the prestigious Nicon Luxury Hotels in Abuja, with a diverse audience that includes female youth leaders, students, women’s organisations, decision-makers, and the international community.
With a limited number of slots available, organisers are urging those interested to register early, as admission is strictly by registration.
The conference promises to be a powerful event, one that will not only celebrate the success of African women but also create pathways for future empowerment and leadership.
News
Explosions Rock Kyiv as City Endures Missile Assault

Early Sunday, a missile barrage targeted the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, injuring at least three individuals and igniting multiple fires, according to the city’s mayor. This attack occurred just two days after a Russian strike in President Volodymyr Zelensky’s hometown resulted in the deaths of 18 people.
Mayor Vitali Klitschko reported that emergency services were dispatched to two districts within Kyiv, while the Ukrainian air force confirmed that missiles had penetrated the northern Chernihiv region.
“Explosions have been reported in the capital, and air defense systems are currently engaged,” Klitschko stated on Telegram. He urged residents to seek shelter, warning, “The missile assault on Kyiv persists.”
So far, three injuries have been recorded, with fires erupting in non-residential structures and damage inflicted on eight vehicles.
This onslaught coincides with U.S. President Donald Trump advocating for a partial ceasefire between Russia and Ukraine, over three years into Moscow’s extensive invasion, while also seeking to mend relations with the Kremlin.
Poland’s military announced that it, along with allied forces, had taken to the skies in response to Russian strikes near the western Ukrainian border, with ground-based air defense systems on high alert.
“Due to the heightened activity of long-range Russian aviation targeting locations within western Ukraine, Polish and allied aircraft operations in our airspace have commenced,” stated its operational command on X. “These measures are intended to ensure security in regions bordering the threatened zones.”
On Sunday, Russia’s defense ministry claimed that its air defense units had intercepted and destroyed 11 Ukrainian drones.
**Zelensky Critiques U.S. Response**
On Saturday, President Zelensky criticized the U.S. embassy for what he termed a “weak” statement that failed to hold Russia accountable for the recent deadly missile strike on his hometown of Kryvyi Rig.
The missile impacted a residential area near a children’s playground in central Ukraine, resulting in the tragic deaths of nine children, aged between three and 17. In a heartfelt social media post, Zelensky called out the U.S. embassy for its reluctance to name Russia as the aggressor.
“Regrettably, the American embassy’s response is surprisingly disappointing: such a powerful nation, yet such a feeble reaction,” Zelensky remarked. “They hesitate to even mention ‘Russian’ when discussing the missile that claimed the lives of children.”
Zelensky’s remarks followed a post by U.S. Ambassador Bridget Brink on X, expressing horror over the missile strike near a playground and restaurant. In his evening address, Zelensky emphasized, “It is both incorrect and perilous to remain silent about the fact that it is Russia perpetrating these crimes against children with ballistic missiles. This only emboldens the perpetrators in Moscow to continue their aggression and disregard diplomatic solutions.”
The president, who hails from Kryvyi Rig, where the pre-war population was approximately 600,000, conveyed his condolences and called for a three-day mourning period on April 7, 8, and 9.
“This is nothing short of a mass murder of civilians,” stated Oleksandr Vilkul, head of the Kryvyi Rig military administration.
Images shared by rescue services depicted several victims, with one body found near a playground swing. In response, Russia’s defense ministry claimed it executed a “precision strike” against a meeting of military commanders and Western instructors in the area. The Ukrainian army’s General Staff countered that Moscow was attempting to obscure its heinous actions and disseminating false information, labeling Russia’s actions as “war crimes.”
While Trump continues to encourage both sides to pursue a ceasefire, his administration has struggled to mediate a mutually acceptable agreement. Zelensky remarked that the missile attack underscored Russia’s lack of interest in halting its full-scale invasion.
The Ukrainian president reported “significant progress” following discussions with British and French military leaders in Kyiv on Friday. They explored plans for a “reassurance” force from London and Paris to be deployed to Ukraine if a resolution to the conflict is achieved.
Zelensky shared on social media that the meeting with British Chief of the Defence Staff Tony Radakin and French counterpart Thierry Burkhard yielded “the initial details on how the security contingent of partners can be deployed.” This initiative represents one of the latest efforts by European leaders to coordinate a response after Trump initiated direct negotiations with the Kremlin, sidelining them.