Connect with us

National

Immigration CG vows to fortify borders nationwide, tasks officers on diligence

Published

on

The Comptroller General of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), Mrs Kemi Nandap has pledged to strengthen border security and surveillance to combat security challenges bedeviling the country.

Addressing Comptrollers of the 36 states including the FCT on Tuesday in Abuja, the NIS CG emphasised the need for effective border control measures to prevent illegal activities, including smuggling and terrorism.

Nandap stressed the importance of physical presence, surveillance, and data collection in tackling security challenges across the nation borders.

She charged the comptrollers to be upright and diligent in carrying out the mandate of the service adding that officers needed to be ontop of border policing.

“The reason for this meeting is for us to know how to make sure our borders are safe and secure. I am sure you all know that upon my assumption of duty, I went round to do an assessment of the border.

” I went round to also find out from our borders what are we not doing right. How do we make sure we are efficient and effective,”she said.

Nandap emphasised that there are numerous security challenges facing the country adding that it require the service’s utmost attention.

She said “Although we have managed to contain the situation relatively well so far, we cannot afford to be complacent.

“As Comptrollers, it is imperative that you conduct regular surveillance and physically be present on ground to understand the challenges faced by your teams.

“The days of remote work are over; it’s time to get hands-on and find solutions to the problems we encounter.

ALSO READ:  Tinubu restates commitment to Protection of Children’s Rights

“We can no longer tolerate the influx of non-Nigerians into our country; it’s time to take our responsibilities seriously and address these security concerns head-on.

“We need to ensure our borders are safe and secure. I have assessed our border controls and identified areas for improvement. We need to be efficient and effective in our operations,”she said.

The NIS CG therefore, mandated the use of a reporting template to ensure standardised reporting adding that it would help fortify border policing.

“We have officers in all 774 Local Government Areas (LGAs), but we’re not utilising them effectively. We must change this to enhance our service delivery.

“There are some hot spot that are known for smuggling of migrants, terrorism, you must know what your area is prone to , I mean the prevailing crimes there.

“You must analyse your state and know the crime pattern, only then can you proffer solutions and be relevant to the state government,”she said.(NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

JUST IN: IGP Withdraws Invitation to Sanusi

Published

on

The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, has withdrawn the invitation extended to the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi.

The police chief, however, directed the Kano State command of the force to obtain the monarch’s statement in the State regarding the incident.

Egbetokun, who gave the directive through the spokesman of the police, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, said the withdrawal became imperative following the intervention of some stakeholders in the country.

The top cop also said his resolve was in line with the police’s commitment to ensuring that policing actions are not politicized or misinterpreted.

Details shortly…

ALSO READ:  Black Out As Labour Union Shut Down National Grid
Continue Reading

National

Unity and Accurate Reporting Essential to End Plateau Violence, Says NSA

Published

on

Nuhu Ribadu, the National Security Adviser (NSA), has called on communities in Plateau to take proactive steps towards restoring peace, asserting that it is time to collectively declare an end to the ongoing violence that has plagued the state for many years.

During a condolence visit to Jos on Sunday, representing President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Ribadu expressed the president’s profound sorrow regarding the recent attacks in Bokkos Local Government Area, which resulted in numerous fatalities and the displacement of families.

“On behalf of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, I am here to convey his heartfelt condolences to the people of Plateau in light of the recent crisis we have experienced,” he stated.

While acknowledging the prompt actions taken by security forces, the NSA emphasized that achieving lasting peace requires more than just military intervention. He urged residents, who have coexisted for generations, to engage in dialogue, foster unity, and seek reconciliation.

Ribadu noted that while the frequency of attacks has diminished compared to previous years, unresolved tensions still create opportunities for criminal activities.

“Our security forces are performing admirably. However, our communities have the potential to do even better. It is time to declare that enough is enough. When individuals within the same community fail to resolve their issues peacefully, criminals exploit the situation, leading to crises that escalate rapidly,” he cautioned.

He assured that both federal and state governments are collaborating closely to stabilize the region and praised Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang for the visible improvements in the area’s security landscape.

ALSO READ:  EndBadGovernance: South-East deserves special recognition from Tinubu govt - Ohanaeze youths

“The federal government is committed, and the state government is actively engaged. The governor’s efforts have been commendable, contributing to the relative improvements we are witnessing,” he remarked.

Discussing the challenge of misinformation, Ribadu urged the media to refrain from disseminating unverified or exaggerated casualty figures, warning that such reports could exacerbate already volatile situations.

“While we have mourned many losses, the figures circulating may not accurately reflect the reality. Nonetheless, every life lost is significant. We urge the media to ensure the accuracy of their reports. Truthful reporting is crucial for our collective healing and for maintaining peace and security,” he asserted.

He underscored that sustainable development hinges on peace, describing it as the cornerstone of progress. Despite Plateau experiencing recurring violence for over two decades, Ribadu reaffirmed the government’s commitment to ending the cycle of bloodshed.

“Without peace, nothing functions—there can be no progress, growth, development, education, or health. The president has made it clear: enough is enough. This cycle must end. We are committed to amplifying our efforts to achieve greater improvements,” he concluded.

Continue Reading

National

Tinubu vows severe punishment for Plateau attackers, condoles victims family

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has promised that the gunmen who killed many people in communities in Plateau State will be apprehended and face severe punishment under the law.

The President extended his condolences to the families of the victims in Ruwi, Hurti, and Tadai communities in Bokkos Local Government and those from Manguna and Dafo villages, where the gunmen launched brutal attacks, resulting in the loss of lives and the destruction of properties.

President Tinubu in a statement by his spokesman, Bayo Onanuga, also commiserated with the Government of Plateau State and Governor Caleb Mutfwang.

He urged the affected communities to cooperate with the authorities and security agencies by volunteering information to catch the perpetrators and secure their communities.

He assured Governor Mutfwang of his support in ending this spate of wanton bloodletting on the Plateau.

He directed the National Emergency Management Agency to work with state authorities to provide necessary support to the victims and bring immediate relief to the affected communities and those wounded during the attacks. NEMA will work closely with the state to ensure that affected communities rebuild and recover.

The President stated: “The report of another violent attack in communities in Plateau State by mindless gunmen saddens me. The latest attacks on defenceless citizens are unacceptable. I have directed security agencies to hunt down the attackers, and they will face severe punishment when apprehended. These intermittent attacks should have no place in our country at a time when we are working so hard to restore peace and order in all parts of our country. This unfortunate incident will never dampen and slow us down in our duty to protect every Nigerian citizen. Instead, we will work harder to exterminate forces of evil wherever they are lurking in our country.

ALSO READ:  NLC directs workers in FCT area councils to begin strike Dec. 1

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims’ families and all those affected by this senseless violence.  No community should have to endure such tragedy. We all must unite to foster peace and stability. I urge all citizens—regardless of ethnic, religious, or political affiliations—to uphold the shared humanity that binds us all, embrace peace and reject retaliation.”

Continue Reading