Connect with us

National

PTAD lauds Tinubu over timely release of pension funds, increment

Published

on

The Pension Transitional Arrangement Directorate (PTAD) has commended President Bola Tinubu, for ensuring timely release of funds for payment of pensions and recent increment of pensions.

Mrs Chioma Ejikeme, Executive Secretary of the PTAD, made the commendation in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.

Ejikeme said that the timely release of the funds had shown the effective commitment of the present administration.

She lauded the President for his commitment to the welfare of pensioners through the timely, prompt, continuous and uninterrupted release of funds.

“Our commitment to our pensioners remains sacrosanct,” she said.

The execute secretary said that the PTAD had expanded its operations by establishing another office in Kwara.

She said that the unveiling of the office had marked a significant milestone to better the welfare of pensioners.

“The aim of establishing these offices in strategically-selected locations nationwide is to bring our exceptional pension services closer to the doorstep of Defined Benefit Scheme (DBS) pensioners.”

Ejikeme said that in the last decade of its operation, PTAD had reformed and revolutionised pension administration using technology.

She said that the office had implemented service innovations that had been proactive and intentional from automating and streamlining core operational processes, to digitisation of pensioners’ employment records.

“We have also implemented electronic computation of pension benefits, pension payments, complaints resolution, the Back End Computation project, and the “I Am Alive” Confirmation Solution.

“Furthermore, following complaints from Next-of-Kin (NOK) of deceased pensioners and some pensioners concerning non-payment of inherited liabilities, I inaugurated a DirectorateWide Expanded NOK and gratuity project, in December 2023.

ALSO READ:  FG approves N2.5bn satellite gadget to combat illegal mining

“This is with a clear mandate to address all legitimate complaints of non-payment of gratuities to some pensioners and death benefits to NOK of deceased pensioners across all the pension departments,” she said.

Ejikeme said that on July 19, the office processed and paid the sum of N395,559 million as death benefits and gratuity to 238 NOK of deceased pensioners and pensioners.

“The rest of the NOK and gratuity benefit claims files are still undergoing prudent checks and validation.

“Nevertheless, it is worthy to note that PTAD is working tirelessly with the relevant stakeholders and respective high courts of justice across  the federation.

“This is to ensure that letters of administration in favor of the NOK are validated within the shortest time frame.

“Also, other related checks completed to enable the remaining beneficiaries receive their entitlements in the shortest possible time.

“It is with great pleasure that I am informing you that all of the receipt by PTAD of the 2024 Pension increment has been approved by the president, “ she said.

According to her, this increment, which takes effect from Jan. 1st 2024, is quite historic as it is the first time that the Federal Government has proactively, promptly, and timeously implemented this constitutional provision.

“PTAD will be implementing this increment with commencement of the payment of the accrued arrears this August 2024.

“I wish to use this opportunity to encourage the pensioners who are yet to confirm their aliveness through the “I Am Alive” Confirmation Solution to do so,” she said. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  CORAN laud move to enforce domestic crude supply obligations
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

JUST IN: Supreme Court sets aside judgment recognising Abure as LP’s National Chairman

Published

on

The Supreme Court has set aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal in Abuja recognising Julius Abure as the National Chairman of the Labour Party (LP).

In a unanimous judgment on Friday, a five-member panel of the apex court held that the Court of Appeal lacked the jurisdiction to have pronounced Abure National Chairman of the LP having earlier found that the substance of the case was about the party’s leadership.

It held that issue of leadership was internal affair of a party over which courts lacked jurisdiction.

The court allowed the appeal filed by Senator Ester Nenadi Usman and one other and held that it was meritorious.

It proceeded to dismiss the cross-appeal filed by the Abure faction of the LP got being unmeritorious.

Details shortly…

ALSO READ:  Yuletide: NSCDC deploys 2,500 personnel in Plateau
Continue Reading

National

Hakeem Baba-Ahmed resigns as presidential political adviser

Published

on

Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, special adviser on political matters to Vice-President Kashim Shettima, has resigned from his position, According to Daily Trust.

The newspaper quoted sources as saying that the former spokesperson of the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) resigned two weeks ago.

President Bola Tinubu appointed Baba-Ahmed as special adviser on political matters to Shettima in September 2023.

Baba-Ahmed is the elder sibling of Datti Baba-Ahmed, vice-presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) in the 2023 election.

Baba-Ahmed served as chief of staff to Bukola Saraki, former senate president, from 2017-2019.

CONFRONTATION WITH MATAWALLE OVER NEF

In April 2024, Bello Matawalle, minister of state for defence, described the NEF as a “political paperweight” after the group stated that the north made a mistake voting Tinubu in 2023.

In his reaction to Matawalle’s remarks, Baba-Ahmed said it would have served the Tinubu administration better if Matawalle had listed his achievements as minister — and the achievements of the other northern appointees — instead of attacking NEF.

“Scathing criticism of NEF by a junior minister of defence, Matawalle, is ill-advised. He could have done a better job for this admin if he identified contributions of especially northern ministers and other appointees like me to improving security and reducing poverty in the North,” Baba-Ahmed said.

In a riposte, the minister said any appointee must defend and promote the administration they work for.

“Dr. Baba-Ahmed’s relationship and affinity with Northern Elders’ Forum (NEF) is well-known,” Matawalle said.

“The fact now is that he is an appointee of the administration as Special Adviser and it is incumbent on him to work for the success of the government he is part of, protect and defend the government against unjust and vicious attacks from those who hide under ethnic and other primordial interests to heat up the polity for myopic reasons.

ALSO READ:  Economic Hardship: It's Ironical That Tinubu's Govt Is Blaming Jonathan, Buhari For It's Failure -Ozehkome

“It is pertinent to state that every appointee of President Tinubu including Dr. Baba-Ahmed owes the government a copious duty to promote, elucidate and advance the good works and commendable efforts of the government across all sectors.”

He added that northern appointees must defend the government or take their exit.

Matawalle is a native of Zamfara while Baba-Ahmed hails from Kaduna.

Continue Reading

National

INEC: We are not partisan in failed recall of Natasha

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has denied being partisan in handling the failed recall of the Senator representing Kogi Central, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of INEC, Rotimi Oyekanmi, who was on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, explained how the Commission handled the process.

“In the case of the Kogi Central District, we received a petition and a cover letter and of course what Nigerians were saying was that we were taking sides,” Oyekanmi said on the programme.

INEC logo and Senator Natasha Akpoti (Kogi-Central PDP)
INEC logo and Senator Natasha Akpoti (Kogi-Central PDP)

“But what happened was that in the covering letter, the representatives of the petitioners did not include their address as required in our regulations and guidelines and what we just did was to ask them to supply their address, it has nothing to do with the petition.

“And of course, there is nowhere in the law where INEC is asked to reject a petition just because the cover letter did not contain the address. So, there was no hanky-panky in what we did.”

Earlier on Thursday, INEC rejected the petition to recall Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, saying that it has not met the requirements.

The electoral commission said the petition to recall Senator Natasha did not meet constitutional requirements.

Senator Natasha was suspended for breaching Senate rules, prompting some of her constituents to initiate her recall. They claimed the move was to ensure their constituency did not lack representation following the suspension of the 45-year-old senator.

Asked whether there could be a repeat of the recall process, the INEC spokesperson said the law did not specify if the process could be repeated and how many times.

ALSO READ:  CSO Seeks Diaspora Funding On Environmental Issues In Niger Delta

“The law just talks about the threshold, the threshold meaning that if you want to recall, you must have, in addition to your petition, 50 per cent plus one signatures. The law did not specify how many times you can undertake that,” he said.

Channels

Continue Reading