Connect with us

National

Blinken pledges $45m to boost coastal West Africa security

Published

on

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Tuesday pledged $45 million in additional financing to help fight conflict and bring stability to coastal West Africa, where insecurity linked to jihadist insurgencies has increased in recent years.

Blinken is on the second stop of a four-nation tour of Africa taking him to Cape Verde, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, and Angola from Jan. 21-26.

The purpose of the trip is to discuss U.S.-African partnerships over trade, climate, infrastructure, health, security, and other issues.

It follows a summit in Washington with African leaders in December 2022.

Security challenges in West Africa, the fallout of a coup in Niger last year, and Russia’s growing influence in the region are among key topics during Blinken’s trip.

He arrived in Ivory Coast’s financial capital Abidjan on Monday evening and met President Alassane Ouattara on Tuesday morning, after which he announced the extra financing at a joint press briefing.

Ivory Coast is one of several coastal West African countries impacted in recent years by Islamist insurgencies that took root in Mali in 2012 and spread across the Sahel region despite costly, internationally backed military efforts to contain it.

“We spent a lot of time discussing mutual security challenges,” Blinken said. “We appreciate Ivory Coast’s leadership in the fight against extremism and violence.”

The funding will supplement 300 million dollars the U.S. has already invested in coastal West Africa over the past two years.

“We have increased military training by 15 times and are investing in civil protection in Ivory Coast,” Blinken added.

Ouattara said security in the region remained a challenge.

ALSO READ:  Alleged adultery: Kano Hisbah declares Jigawa Commissioner wanted

“That is why we do appreciate the USA for their support in the area of intelligence and the fight against terrorism,” he said.

The U.S. faced a setback in its fight against militants in the Sahel when military officers toppled Niger’s President Mohamed Bazoum, a key ally, in July last year.

The coup in Niger was one of a series of military takeovers or attempted power grabs that occurred in West and Central Africa over the past three years.

The instability has raised concern, particularly as juntas have cut ties with traditional Western allies such as the European Union and France, which withdrew thousands of troops from the Sahel last year.

Blinken met Akinwumi Adesina, president of the African Development Bank, at a sub-regional rice research institute in the afternoon.
He is scheduled to fly to Nigeria in the evening.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Tinubu vows severe punishment for Plateau attackers, condoles victims family

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has promised that the gunmen who killed many people in communities in Plateau State will be apprehended and face severe punishment under the law.

The President extended his condolences to the families of the victims in Ruwi, Hurti, and Tadai communities in Bokkos Local Government and those from Manguna and Dafo villages, where the gunmen launched brutal attacks, resulting in the loss of lives and the destruction of properties.

President Tinubu in a statement by his spokesman, Bayo Onanuga, also commiserated with the Government of Plateau State and Governor Caleb Mutfwang.

He urged the affected communities to cooperate with the authorities and security agencies by volunteering information to catch the perpetrators and secure their communities.

He assured Governor Mutfwang of his support in ending this spate of wanton bloodletting on the Plateau.

He directed the National Emergency Management Agency to work with state authorities to provide necessary support to the victims and bring immediate relief to the affected communities and those wounded during the attacks. NEMA will work closely with the state to ensure that affected communities rebuild and recover.

The President stated: “The report of another violent attack in communities in Plateau State by mindless gunmen saddens me. The latest attacks on defenceless citizens are unacceptable. I have directed security agencies to hunt down the attackers, and they will face severe punishment when apprehended. These intermittent attacks should have no place in our country at a time when we are working so hard to restore peace and order in all parts of our country. This unfortunate incident will never dampen and slow us down in our duty to protect every Nigerian citizen. Instead, we will work harder to exterminate forces of evil wherever they are lurking in our country.

ALSO READ:  Tinubu signs Bill returning old National Anthem into Law

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims’ families and all those affected by this senseless violence.  No community should have to endure such tragedy. We all must unite to foster peace and stability. I urge all citizens—regardless of ethnic, religious, or political affiliations—to uphold the shared humanity that binds us all, embrace peace and reject retaliation.”

Continue Reading

National

Rising Tensions in Kano as Police Summon Sanusi for Interrogation

Published

on

Kano is currently experiencing heightened tensions following a formal request from the Inspector General of Police (IG), Kayode Egbetokun, for Muhammadu Sanusi II, the 16th Emir of Kano, to appear at the Force Intelligence Department (FID) headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday, April 8, 2025.

Speculation surrounds this invitation, with many believing it may be linked to an attack on the Emir’s entourage during recent Sallah celebrations. The state police have detained Usman Sagiru in connection with the alleged murder of vigilante member Surajo Rabiu, which occurred during the assault on Emir Sanusi II’s entourage.

Additionally, another vigilante, Aminu Suleman, was injured in the incident and subsequently taken to Murtala Muhammed Specialists Hospital in Kano for treatment. According to SP Abdullahi Haruna, the state police command spokesman, the violence erupted while local guards were escorting the Emir’s entourage from the Kofar Mata Eid prayer ground after the observance of the two rakat eid-el-fitr prayers.

The invitation letter, dated April 2, 2025, and referenced with number CR:3000/FID/FHQ/ABJ/VOL59/697, was issued by Commissioner of Police Olajide Rufus Ibitoye on behalf of the Deputy Inspector-General of Police for the FID in Abuja. The letter states: “I have the directive of the Inspector-General of Police, through the Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Force Intelligence Department (FID), to invite you for an investigative meeting regarding an incident that occurred during the Sallah celebrations within your domain.”

The official summons has ignited apprehension throughout Kano City and surrounding areas, with some locals interpreting it as a potential attempt by the federal government to impose a state of emergency in the region. A resident from the Dorayi quarters, who requested anonymity, remarked, “We perceive this invitation as an affront to our traditional institution and an effort to intimidate our Emir by the police, who failed to ensure our safety on Sallah day.”

ALSO READ:  Village head says 4 more bodies recovered in Niger mining pit collapse

He urged President Bola Tinubu and the federal government to prevent the police from instigating unrest in Kano State. Another anonymous resident expressed worries that the invitation could escalate tensions and possibly lead to a state of emergency. “What transpired on Sallah day was not a Durbar but rather a customary procession of the Emir from his palace to the Mosque, where it is normal for him to ride a horse, rather than walk,” he stated.

He cautioned against disrupting the peace in Kano, asserting, “Summoning Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II over trivial matters constitutes a violation of his fundamental human rights, and it will be met with resistance from the community.”

Continue Reading

National

Ken Nnamani Denies Pleading With Abbo On Judge’s Behalf

Published

on

Ken Nnamani, a former president of the senate, says he did not beg Elisha Abbo, a former senator representing Adamawa north, on behalf of any judge after the ex-lawmaker lost his election case in court.

In October 2023, the court of appeal sacked Abbo and declared Amos Yohanna, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), as the winner of the Adamawa north senatorial election.

Appearing on Channels Television on Wednesday, Abbo said he was a victim of “miscarriage of justice”.

The former senator said Nnamani pleaded with him on behalf of a judge after he lost his election case in 2023.

Reacting in a statement, the former senate president described Abbo’s claim as “blatant lies”.

“My greatest surprise was to hear him state that Senator Ken Nnamani visited him to plead with him on behalf of a judge for the miscarriage of justice. This statement is a blatant lie. I do not know how Senator Abbo can boldly fabricate an event that never happened to buttress his allegation of judicial miscarriage against him,” he said.

“For the avoidance of doubt, I have never visited Senator Elisha Abbo at his house or anywhere. Up to this moment, I do not know where he lives. I have never discussed with him about his case, or any case pending or decided by any court of law in Nigeria.

“The only time I met with him was when he visited me in my house. It was more of a social visit by him. At this meeting, we never discussed his case or any case. I recall that when the matter of his political career came up, I advised him to avoid controversies as a young politician.

ALSO READ:  Make Election Accessable For People Living With Disability, IFA Tells INEC

“The statements Senator Abbo made regarding me and his case are all fabrications. I believe I have had a sterling and distinguished public service career. I am determined to maintain my integrity and commitment to excellence till the end of my life.”

Continue Reading