Connect with us

National

Prosperity Will Flow From NDDC -Ogbuku

Published

on

The Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Dr. Samuel Ogbuku, has urged management and staff of the Commission to pray that the development and prosperity of the Niger Delta region continues to flow from the interventionist agency.

Ogbuku made the appeal during the annual thanksgiving service organised by the NDDC Christian Fellowship at the Commission’s headquarters in Port Harcourt.

He enjoined the staff to imbibe the culture of thanksgiving to attract more blessings from God, noting that the Almighty God had been faithful and merciful to the NDDC and thus deserved to be praised to pave way for a more prosperous new year.

The NDDC boss said: “We must give glory to God for making us who we are. I am elated that we have sustained the annual thanksgiving service because we have many things that we need to be thankful to God.”

Ogbuku appreciated both staff and management for taking out time to pray together for the progress of the Commission, stating: “We are planting God in NDDC premises. In furtherance to this, our directorate for Utility, Infrastructural Development and Waterways, UIDW, will design a place of worship to be incorporated into our headquarters complex.”

He lamented that over the years, people had wrong impressions about the NDDC, in spite of its efforts to drive the process of development of Nigeria’s oil-rich region.

The NDDC managing director assured that the current Board of the Commission was determined to reverse the wrong perception.

He appealed: “Let’s learn to love one another, because with love and unity we can do more for the people of the Niger Delta region.”

ALSO READ:  OCP ,Fortescue To Partner To Develop Green Energy, Hydrogen And Ammonia In Morocco

In his exhortation, a pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCCG), Remi Odebode, enjoined the NDDC staff to be thankful to God in every situation and commended the members of Commission’s Christian fellowship for their steadfastness in praising God.

Also speaking, the fellowship’s resident pastor, Mr. Udoma Sunday, observed that God had answered the prayers of the staff by bringing a new Board and a Chief Executive Officer “that is humane and eager to make a difference in the Niger Delta region.”

He said that Niger Deltans must continually praise and glorify God for blessing them with abundant natural resources.

National

Tinubu Dismisses Kyari, Restructures NNPCL Board in Major Overhaul

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has officially dissolved the board of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), which includes the removal of Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO) Mele Kyari and Chairman Pius Akinyelure, along with all other board members appointed in November 2023.

In an announcement, the President introduced an 11-member restructured board, appointing Engineer Bashir Bayo Ojulari as the new GCEO and Ahmadu Musa Kida as the Non-Executive Chairman. These changes are effective immediately, as stated by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information & Strategy.

Emphasizing the need for “enhanced operational efficiency, restored investor confidence, and a more commercially viable NNPC,” President Tinubu exercised his authority under Section 59(2) of the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) 2021 to implement this significant reorganization.

The newly formed board comprises Adedapo Segun, who continues as Chief Financial Officer (CFO), alongside six non-executive directors representing Nigeria’s geopolitical zones: Bello Rabiu (North West), Yusuf Usman (North East), Babs Omotowa (North Central), Austin Avuru (South-South), David Ige (South West), and Henry Obih (South East). Additionally, Mrs. Lydia Shehu Jafiya, Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Finance, and Aminu Said Ahmed, representing the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, will serve on the board.

The President has charged the new board with conducting a strategic review of NNPC-operated and Joint Venture assets to optimize value. This includes increasing crude oil production to 2 million barrels per day (bpd) by 2027 and 3 million bpd by 2030, boosting gas production to 8 billion cubic feet daily by 2027 and 10 billion by 2030, and expanding NNPC’s refining capacity to 200,000 bpd by 2027 and 500,000 bpd by 2030. The administration also aims to attract $30 billion in oil investments by 2027 and $60 billion by 2030, building on the $17 billion secured in 2024.

ALSO READ:  Tax reforms: Tinubu won’t undermine democracy – Information Minister

Ahmadu Musa Kida, the new Chairman, is a Borno-born engineer and former Deputy Managing Director of Total Nigeria. He also has a background in basketball, having served as the ex-president of the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF). Bashir Bayo Ojulari, the newly appointed GCEO, hails from Kwara State and was previously the Executive Vice President of Renaissance Africa Energy, where he led a $2.4 billion acquisition of Shell’s Nigerian assets. He brings extensive experience from Elf and Shell, having worked across Europe and the Middle East.

President Tinubu expressed gratitude to the outgoing board for their contributions, particularly their efforts in reviving the Port Harcourt and Warri refineries, which have resumed production after years of dormancy. Analysts view this leadership change as part of Tinubu’s broader reforms in the oil sector, following last year’s removal of fuel subsidies and the promotion of private refinery investments. With the new team established, there are high expectations for enhanced transparency, efficiency, and profitability within Nigeria’s state oil enterprise.

Continue Reading

National

FG To Implement Policy Compelling IOCs To Drill Or Drop Inactive Oil Wells

Published

on

Heineken Lokpobiri, minister of state for petroleum resources, says the federal government plans to commence implementing the drill-or-drop provisions of the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA).

Section 94 of the PIA gives operators a period of three years to begin oil production or relinquish the assets to the federal government.

Speaking during the Cross Industry Group (CIG) meeting held on Tuesday in Florence, Italy, Lokpobiri said it is in the best interest of the country that all inactive wells go to work.

He said the federal government, under the leadership of President Bola Tinubu, has provided every necessary incentive to ensure international oil companies (IOCs) in Nigeria run smoothly and profitably.

“Now, it is imperative for these industry players to match the government’s efforts with increased investment by announcing final investment decisions (FIDs),” he said.

Furthermore, Lokpobiri discussed “the challenges, expectations, and measures to enhance the sector’s contributions towards domestic energy needs and regional expansion across Sub-Saharan Africa”.

He emphasised that while IOCs have highlighted engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contractors as a challenge, “EPCs will not come unless they see strong commitments from industry players”.

“The government has done its part to provide the requisite and investment-friendly fiscals, the ball is now in the court of the IOCs and other operators to make strategic investment decisions that will drive increased production and sustainability in the sector,” he said.

“We must also recognise that domestic crude supply is essential to national energy security. The best solution to this challenge lies in increasing production, which will ensure a balance between domestic supply obligations and external commitments.”

ALSO READ:  First Nigerian Female Trained in UK Military Academy Promoted

The minister further urged industry players to explore collaborative measures, such as shared resources for contiguous assets and the release of underutilised assets to operators ready to invest in production.

Continue Reading

National

Reps Demands Compensation For Families Of Slain Kano Hunters

Published

on

The minority caucus in the house of representatives has condemned the killing of 16 Kano-bound hunters in Edo state.

On Thursday, a mob in the Uromi area of Edo killed 16 hunters of northern descent who were travelling from Elele, Rivers state.

The travellers were attacked and lynched after some vigilance group members raised the alarm on suspicion that they were kidnappers.

The Edo state government said 14 suspects arrested in connection with the killing would be transferred to Abuja for further interrogation.

During a visit to some of the families of the victims at Bankure LGA in Kano, Monday Okpebholo, governor of Edo, assured that justice would be served.

In a statement issued on Monday, the minority caucus described the killing of the hunters as “barbaric”.

“We find such brutal killings of innocent Nigerians in any part of the country by lawless mobs very reprehensible, and if allowed to fester without being put in check by responsible organs of the federal government, such actions could threaten the peace and unity of the country,” the statement reads.

The lawmakers asked Nigerians never to resort to jungle attacks on fellow citizens but to always report any concerns to security agencies.

“We are a nation under the rule of laws, and our law enforcement agencies are always available to partner with every Nigerian to assuage their concerns,” the caucus said.

While noting that the incident is “already setting emotions on edge” in parts of the country, the legislators urged President Bola Tinubu to ensure that the security agencies investigate this matter and bring the perpetrators to justice.

ALSO READ:  Biafra declaration in December will restore peace, stability to West Africa- BRGIE

“Also, adequate compensation should be paid to the affected families,” the caucus said.

The lawmakers implored Nigerians to remain calm, peaceful, and law-abiding and allow the federal and state governments to investigate the matter and ensure justice is served.

The statement was signed by Kingsley Chinda, minority leader; Ali Isa, minority whip; and Aliyu Madaki, deputy minority leader.

Continue Reading