Connect with us

News

2023: South-South Remains PDP Stronghold, South-East Contentious – Gov Diri

Published

on

By Israel Bulus, Kaduna

The Bayelsa State Governor, Sen. Douye Diri, has maintained that despite the coming of the Labour Party, the South-South region still remains the stronghold of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, while the South-East region will be contentious.

Diri stated this while fielding questions at the 2023 Elections Campaign Launch/Presentation of Flags to PDP candidates in Southern Kaduna, held at Zonkwa, Zango Kataf Local Government Area.

He explained that the South-South has remained safe for the PDP, despite the wranglings of the Labour Party, while the South-East region will be contentious, but said the PDP will still lead with large number of followers.

While commenting on the insecurity in the country, the Governor noted that while the PDP was in power, Nigerians experienced very minor insecurity, apart from the orchestrated kidnapping of Chibok school girls by the then opposition APC.

He noted that only good leadership would ensure unity, and unless the PDP supporters close ranks and vote for the party in the coming general elections, they cannot overcome the myriad challenges bedeviling the area.

He further lamented the hardship people were facing as a result of the misrule by the All Progressives Congress, APC, and said the only way to bring about positive change was to vote it out of power.

“Nigeria is in dire need of leaders who will unite and serve the people based on its antecedents, adding only the PDP is capable of putting Nigeria back on the path of development.

He decried the insecurity experienced especially in Southern Kaduna, and said the country was in need of a detribalized leader who will ensure unity among the citizens, as the PDP was the only viable and veritable option to the APC.

ALSO READ:  Nigerian Army to court martial 5 officers, 20 soldiers in Enugu

In his remarks, the former Speaker of the House of Representative, Barr. Yakubu Dogara cautioned Kaduna Citizens and Southern Kaduna against wasting their votes on candidates of other political parties who do not stand the chance of winning, as it could mar the chances of the PDP.

Earlier in an acceptance speech on behalf of the candidates, the Kaduna South Senatorial candidate, Barrister Sunday Marshall Katung, assured that if voted into office, they will come up with a common agenda that will guide their activities for the good of the area.

Katung said they will work and lobby for projects so that the people can derive the maximum benefits of democracy, and cautioned the electorate against experimenting with the APC again, after the suffering it has visited on Nigerians.

” We’ll ensure equity and justice in all of their dealings, and added that the people should hold them accountable if they fail to deliver on their electioneering promises.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Tinubu approves N20bn take-off fund for NASRDA’s project

Published

on

The National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) is set to commence the implementation of its space regulation and licensing mandate with N20 billion take-off fund approved by President Bola Tinubu.

The Director-General of NASRDA, Dr Matthew Adepoju, said this on Thursday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.

Adepoju said the regulatory function of the agency as encapsulated in NASDRA Act (2010) had remained unfulfilled since its establishment in 1999.

He spoke against the background of NASRDA stakeholders’ workshop on space regulation scheduled for April 8.

He said on assumption of office he raised a memo to President Bola Tinubu on the need to enforce the regulatory functions of NASDRA.

According to him, this is in line with the provisions of Section 6 and 9 of the laws establishing it, adding that Tinubu eventually approved the take-off fund.

“When I raised that memo stating that our space can no longer be unregulated, Mr President graciously approved the take-off fund of N20 billion few months ago.

“This is to enable us to commence the space regulation and spectrum management in Nigeria.

“Although times and lots of activities happen that have security implications but if we don’t take charge of our space sector, it will continue to be misused,’’ Adepoju said.

Adepoju said the agency was yet to access the N20 billion, adding that release of funds was always subject to its availability.

“Within the framework of what is possible for us to do now, we’ve set up the platform and we are commencing our regulatory and licensing functions,” he told NAN.

ALSO READ:  UWCL: Oshoala Named In Barcelona Femeni Squad To Face Chelsea At Stamford Bridge

He explained that the space sector had three segments, the upstream, midstream and downstream.

“We have the upstream, which is deep space, the midstream, which is in between the space objects, such as satellites and the planet Earth.

“We have the downstream, which has to do with ground stations, activities and people who are utilising space products and services.
“In between these three sectors, there are activities that must be regulated otherwise Nigerians will be short-changed.

“People have to be licensed and issued guidelines, the spectrum within Nigeria has to be monitored and the agency has been granted this power since 2010 and this has lots of benefits,’’ he said.

Adepoju said the platform for the licensing was ready and open to both public and private sector operators in the space arena.

The licensing, he said, was available for people using and providing space products and services.

He emphasised the need for strict oversight of satellite image providers, geographic information system operators, satellite-based telecommunication and broadcasting services, among others.

He also said that if unregulated, geographical data intelligence could be exploited by non-state actors for illicit activities.

The Director-General further told NAN that the initiative would enhance national security, economic diversification and local content development.

He said it would also generate revenue from sub-sectors such as oil and gas, shipping and telecommunications relied on space products for their operations. (NAN)

Continue Reading

News

Myanmar earthquake: Rescue efforts ongoing amidst increasing fatalities

Published

on

The death toll from a 7.9-magnitude earthquake in Myanmar has risen to 3,085, with 4,715 people injured and 341 reported missing.

This is according to the Information Team of the State Administration Council on Thursday.

Chinese rescuers are continuing search and rescue operations in hard-hit Mandalay, central Myanmar, following the deadly earthquake last week, and have so far rescued nine survivors from the rubble.

On Thursday afternoon, the second batch of emergency humanitarian aid supplies dispatched by the Chinese government arrived in Myanmar.

The second batch of aid supplies include 800 tents, 2,000 blankets, 3,000 boxes of biscuits, 2,000 boxes of mineral water and other urgently needed supplies.

The first batch of emergency humanitarian aid supplies dispatched by the Chinese government for earthquake disaster relief arrived in Myanmar on March 31. (Xinhua/NAN)

ALSO READ:  Death toll of passengers killed during Eid-el-Maulud celebration in Kaduna hits 40
Continue Reading

News

China threatens retaliation in response to new US tariffs

Published

on

Beijing on Thursday threatened countermeasures after U.S. President Donald Trump announced new tariffs on Chinese goods, further escalating trade tensions between the world’s two largest economies.

The U.S. has already imposed 20 per cent tariffs on Chinese imports, prompting retaliation from Beijing.

The latest round, which Trump had announced on Wednesday, adds a 34 per cent tariff hike, raising total duties on many Chinese products to over 50 per cent.

China’s Ministry of Commerce said that the tariffs violated international trade rules and were based on subjective and unilateral assessments by the U.S., calling them a typical act of bullying.

The ministry urged Washington to remove the measures and resolve disputes through dialogue, or it would take countermeasures to protect its rights and interests.

Trump on Wednesday announced new blanket tariffs of 10 per cent on most U.S. imports, with higher penalties based on trade deficits. (dpa/NAN)

ALSO READ:  Niger State Government Establish A Standing Committee For Inland Waterways
Continue Reading