• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

20 die as Cargo boat explodes, sinks in Bayelsa waterways

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
August 8, 2024
in News
0
20 die as Cargo boat explodes, sinks in Bayelsa waterways
0
SHARES
7
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

A wooden cargo boat, identified as ‘Godbless Dickson’, laden with cargo and over 64 passengers and crew exploded, burst into flames leaving 20 dead in Bayelsa waterways.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) learnt on Thursday that the tragic incident occurred on Wednesday along the Ezetu 1 community in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area (LGA) of Bayelsa.

RelatedPosts

LPCF alleges political witch-hunt In El-Rufai’s arrest

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

ASP Musa Mohammed, the Police Spokesman in Bayelsa told NAN correspondent on telephone that 20 people have been so far confirmed dead, while rescue efforts by the Marine Police unit were still ongoing.

The ill-fated cargo boat laden with farm produce from the rural settlement was enroute Swali market in Yenagoa.

Mr Ogoniba Ipigansi, Chairman of the Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria, Bayelsa Chapter, also confirmed the incident in a telephone interview with a NAN Correspondent on Thursday.

He said that a rescue team of the union, consisting of two speed boats, had been dispatched to the scene to assist the passengers on board.

He said that the exact number of casualties was yet to be ascertained, as rescue was still underway and several people on board yet to be accounted for.

A speed boat operator, Mr Augustine Amayoro, who participated in rescue efforts, said he rescued 10 persons from the scene, leaving other passengers stranded in the nearby fishing camp.

NAN gathered that the wooden cargo boats were exempted from the state government’s ban on night navigation on waterways.

ALSO READ:  Easter tragedy: 17 lives lost in Benue amidst security concerns

Due to the slow pace of navigation, the cargo boats set sail a day ahead of the targeted weekly market days of Thursdays when farm produce flood the Swali waterside in Yenagoa.

Meanwhile, Chief Target Segibo, Chairman of Southern Ijaw LGA, who bemoaned the loss of 20 persons in the incident, described the disaster as regrettable.

He called for concerted efforts by stakeholders to strengthen safety regulations in the marine transport sector. (NAN)

Tags: Cargo boat
Previous Post

Village head says 4 more bodies recovered in Niger mining pit collapse

Next Post

Scapegoating, Gaslighting And Gestapo Invasion of Homes And Offices Will Not Do It, Mr. President

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

El-Rufai: Tinubu’s Govt Most Corrupt, Worst in Nigerian History

LPCF alleges political witch-hunt In El-Rufai’s arrest

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Ojima-ojo The Labour Party Candidates Forum on Tuesday alleged political persecution in the arrest of former Kaduna State...

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted...

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Next Post
Newly created FCT youth dev outfit gets mandate secretary

Scapegoating, Gaslighting And Gestapo Invasion of Homes And Offices Will Not Do It, Mr. President

Troops nab notorious gunrunner in N/West

Troops nab notorious gunrunner in N/West

Recommended

Impoundment of commercial motorcycles reducing crime in Abuja – DRTS

Arewa Youths Petition DRTS Over Alleged Faulty Car Sale

6 days ago
Tinubu’s Final Intervention in Rivers’ Political Crisis, Says Wike

Tinubu’s Final Intervention in Rivers’ Political Crisis, Says Wike

7 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,074)
  • News (9,647)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform