By Musa Sunusi Ahmad
The society of Young Nigerian Writers in her bid to join the fight against rape and sexual abuse invites writers from all over the world to submit essays and poems on rape for her upcoming essay/poetry anthology.
According to a UNICEF report, one in four girls and one in ten boys in Nigeria had experienced sexual violence before the age of 18. A one-year survey conducted at the Enugu State University Teaching Hospital between 2012 and 2013 revealed that seventy percent of sexual assault victims were less than 18 years and majority of the victims knew the perpetrators.
Therefore, the project’s Coordinator Angelica Uwaezuoke calls upon writers to lend their voices against this horrid act so as to drive a change in the perception of women-targeted sexual abuse. In so doing, we protect our wives, daughters, sisters, cousins and every girl-child from sexual predators and create a safe space in the society for them.
The anthology focuses exclusively on the theme ‘RAPE and SEXUAL VIOLENCE’ and only works relating to the theme will be accepted for publication. Writers are free to write on their personal experience or those of others in the form of essays or poems using any title of their choice. There is no monetary prize attached and submission is free and open to writers across the world.
1. Only one entry is allowed per entrant (essay or poem).
2. Only works relating to the theme ‘RAPE’ will be accepted.
3. Entry must be written in English Language
4. Entry should be brief: a maximum of 40 lines for poetry and 300 words for essays.
5. Author’s information -Name, age, gender, location, phone number, school, permission to publish your work in one or two sentences, and a short bio of no more than 40 words should be included in the submission.
6. Entry must be type-written and sent in the body of the mail; NOT AS AN ATTACHMENT. Entries sent as attachment will be automatically disqualified.
7. Entry must be the original work of the entrant. Any indication of plagiarism leads to disqualification.
8. All entries should be sent on or before October 1, 2020. Late entries will be disregarded.
9. Entries should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com.
10. The subject of the email should be ‘RAPE ANTHOLOGY’.
Please note that only works that comply with the submission guidelines will be selected and published.
1. All successful and shortlisted entries will be published in the RAPE Essay/Poetry electronic Anthology.
2. Certificate of participation will be awarded to all entrants.
3. Certificates of excellence will be awarded to only the shortlisted/published entrants.
4. Automatic/free membership and admission into the Society of Young Nigerian Writers for the published young Nigerian entrants.
For further inquiries, support or partnership contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, call:
+2348067308372, Angelica .C. Uwaezuoke (Coordinator)
+2348162434832, David .C. Innocent (Secretary)