N1bn School Projects: I’ll Take Assembly’s Report In Good Faith, Says Nasarawa SSG

Solomon Attah, Lafia

The former Commissioner for Education and now the Secretary to the Government of Nassrawa State (SSG), Aliyu Tijani Ahmed, who was surmoned last week by members of the State House of Assembly to explain the whereabout of the missing N1 billion naira earmarked for the renovation of secondary schools in the state, said he would accept the resolution of the assembly without any ill motive.

The SSG stated this yesterday in Lafia when he appeared before the House Ad-hoc committee to defend the usage of the fund when he was a Commissioner for Education, during the administration of Umaru Tanki Almakura.

He said without prejudice, he would accept to take full responsibility of the outcome of the Nasarawa State House of Assembly report investigating N1billion abandoned Secondary schools projects awarded in 2018 in the state.

He said that the money spent for the renovation of the projects was commensurated with the work done.

” I will take full responsibility of the outcome of the investigation.

” As the money expended in the execution of the projects was in commensuration of the work done, ” the SSG said.

Earlier, Hon Daniel Ogazi, the Chairman of the Ad hoc Committee said that the committee has been mandated by the House to get to the root of the matter on the utilisation of the N1billion schools projects across the state to serve as deterrent to others.

According to him, the SSG has agreed and accepted before this committee that he is ready to take full responsibility of the outcome of the committee report.

Ogazi further revealed that the committee has during its first sitting on March 23rd gathered all the necessary information and documents from the ministry and will study them to come out with effective, truth and comprehensive report on the matter.

” We as committee will submit our report to the House on Tuesday, March 31st for further necessary action by the Assembly on this matter, ” he said.

” We are doing this in the interest of the education sector as we discovered these abnormalities on these abandoned projects when we went on our oversight functions”

“We don’t care who did the job but our concern is to ensure that the over N1billlion Secondary schools project are done perfectly in order to salvage the education sector, ” he said.

The chairman said that the House would continue to use it constitutional power to ensure that right things are done for the overall development of the state.

It would be recalled that on March 17, the House has set up an adhoc committee to investigate N1billion secondary schools renovation contract awarded in 2018 by the state ministry of Education.

It would also be recalled that on March 16, the House has summoned a former Commissioner of Education and now, the Secretary to the Government of Nasarawa State (SSG), Aliyu Ahmed Tijani and Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Fatu Sabo over school abandoned projects awarded in 2018.

Fatu was reportedly said to have told the committee that there was no record in evidence in the ministry capturing the award of the project.

The House Ad-hoc committee is expected to complete its report before next week Tuesday, where verdict on the alleged missing N1 billion would be passed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Total
3
Share