Connect with us

Security

HEDA’s Position On Proposed Proceeds Of Crime Agency

Published

on

Following the aforementioned bills, the Human and Environmental
Development Agenda (HEDA Resources Centre) made its comments/
contributions with respect to the observations made last week at the
Public Hearing of the Senate Joint session.

On Difference in framework, HEDA opined that the creation of a new
agency is contrary to government reports on reduction of agencies.

For Assets Management Skills, HEDA suggested employment of new staff
or second some from the law enforcement and anti corruption agencies.

More so on existing mandates of relevant agencies to manage and
dispose forfeited assets, HEDA suggested creation of a new agency with
conflicting power of management, freezing, recovery, disposal,
seizure, tracing and confiscation powers, similar to existing ACAs and
LEAs inimical to collaboration and efficient management of proceeds of
crimes.

Meanwhile, on financial implications for execution of mandate on
nationwide and international assets, the civil society organization
maintained that, it was potentially impracticable and impossible,
considering the inability of Ministry of Justice to currently fund
recovery of assets but rather employing services of external lawyers
on no win, no fee basis.

For the agency’s relevance in changing nature and scope of financial
crimes and money laundering, the civil group affirmed that the agency
would need to conduct its own investigations and prosecution of money
laundering, terrorism financing etc and matters concerned.

For response to perishable forfeited assets nationwide, the group
asserted that could be difficult, cumbersome and expensive with a
center-dependent bureaucracy with other ACAs and LEAs.

On proper handling of Exhibits at Interim Forfeiture stage, as well as
how it might disrupt the fight against graft, HEDA submitted that
Handling exhibits could jeopardize a successful prosecution and it
would be very disruptive given the controversy surrounding the ongoing
assets disposal by the AG’s office.

ALSO READ:  GOC convenes peace meeting ahead of yuletide, harvest season in Plateau

On who are the Proponents and supporters, HEDA again said the the
Honourable Attorney of the federation (HAGF), finding its compliance
with Orasanye’s report and government white paper on not creating new
agencies, HEDA opined it contravenes the whole Ideas.

For Accountability/Governance mechanisms, it maintained that there
should be a Central Data Base in HAG’s Office and Quarterly Report to
NASS Public Accounts Committees.

More so on Accessibility to Forfeitures Records, the anti-corruption
CSO suggested that Records domiciled in the Courts/NJC and National
Data Base be made open for scrutiny.

On the FATF Recommendation of POCA as captured in the lead debate of
POCA Bill, HEDA said- No agency was recommended while on The Effect of
Expunged provisions of other LEAs and ACAs, it pushed for the
expungement of relevant provisions in other ACAs and LEAs mandates
needing amendment of all the Acts.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Security

Government Official Abducted In Ebonyi

Published

on

The police have confirmed the abduction of Blessing Adagba, the coordinator of Ngbo Central Development Centre in Ohaukwu Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.

The incident occurred on Thursday, sending shock waves through the community.

The Police spokesperson, SP Joshua Ukandu, while confirming the incident, said that the Anti-Kidnapping Squad is working hard to secure the victim’s release.

Channels Television gathered that the abduction took place around midnight in the Okposhi Eheku community in Ohaukwu Local Government Area.

“Around 12 a.m., a group of men disguised as soldiers invaded the residence of Hon. Blessing Adagba. They demanded she open the door, but she refused, questioning why soldiers would come at such an (odd) hour.”

“The kidnappers brandished firearms, overpowered the coordinator and abducted her to an unknown location”.

Residents and security operatives in Ohaukwu are reportedly making efforts to ensure the safe return of the victim.

Community leaders have expressed concern over the rise in abductions in the area. They are calling for increased security measures to protect residents.

ALSO READ:  GOC convenes peace meeting ahead of yuletide, harvest season in Plateau
Continue Reading

Security

Benue Residents Protest Against ‘Incessant Killings, Abductions

Published

on

Residents of Otukpo in Benue south district have staged a protest against the incessant cases of kidnappings and killings by suspected herdsmen.

The Tuesday demonstration saw protesters, mostly youths, occupy the Otukpo-Enugu federal highway, calling on the government to address the growing insecurity in the state.

There has been a surge in cases of killings and kidnappings allegedly carried out by suspected herdsmen in several LGAs in Benue state.

When contacted, Catherine Anene, the police spokesperson in the state, told TheCable that the protest was brought under control by security operatives.

“The protest is under control at the moment; we would let you know as soon as there is further information,” Anene said.

On March 10, 13 people, including women and children, were reportedly killed in an attack by suspected herdsmen on Katsina Ala LGA of the state.

The gunmen were said to have attacked several communities, including Utange council, Kpav, Dikpo, and the Imande Gberihwa area of the state.

ALSO READ:  Suspected Terrorists Reportedly Kidnap 56 Residents In Niger Community, Demand N200 Million Ransom
Continue Reading

News

Group Condemns Linking Ex-Taraba Council Boss to Southern Taraba Unrest

Published

on

The Takum Renaissance Forum(TRF)has condemned a press release issue by STYCOP headed by Rikwensi Muri associating’s increasing surge in insecurity and unrest in Southern Taraba to former Takum local government chairman Shiban Tikari.

In a statement issue by the group secretary Emmanuel Joro, it says for the avoidance of doubt, they wouldn’t have dabbled into the issue, but for the sake of records, they’ve chosen to react.

In Muri’s press release which states that “We must also remember the actions of Hon. Shiban Tikari, former chairman of Takum Local Government Council, who similarly exploited the “Tiv Militias,” “Kuteb Militias,” and “Fulani Militias” narrative to destabilize the region”.

The Group responded by saying “It is on records that Hon. Shiban stabilized the atmosphere of Takum and environs during his tenure. His administration was not marred by state-sponsored kidnappings, murders and sacking of more than 100 communities by mercenary bandits brought against the Kuteb communities as claimed by Rikwensi Muri, in his usual false accusations. Muri and his co-travellers are the same ones who were bent on throwing Takum and Ussa communities into the pool of crisis. Everybody knew it. Fulani herdsmen were said to have paid millions to their kuteb Chiefs before being given permission to bring their cows to graze in ussa LGA. Muri is quiet about it.”

The group further stated that the former Taraba State Governor, Darius Ishaku agreed to compensate the herders on the lost of their cows to stop attacking Kuteb communities, but instead after the money had come to their possession for compensation to be paid to the Fulani, it was diverted. They instead opted for the money to be used for arms procurement to fight the Fulani herdsmen.

ALSO READ:  Best tribute to fallen heroes is sustained airstrikes against terrorists – CAS

“Why are the likes of Muri and their cohorts, who wanted war with Fulani and called for it, still turning around to blame Gov DDI led administration alongside the then chairmen of Takum and Wukari for their woes”?

“It’s good to note that we are above media trials and other sensational lies to curry public sympathy. Muri has been attacking the image of the Governor of Taraba state, Dr Agbu Kefas and other notable personalities in the state like our fathers, Gen TY Danjuma and the Aku Uka, The Chief of Takum and other notable personalities, but we are not beginning to take this as an exception. Muri’s height of media rascality is a charade taken far”.

“Of all these, none of us or even the authority have chosen to arrest him for defamation. Why? Because of his lunatic approaches and the cheap relevance he is looking for, we can’t give him. The public is always aware of his sponsors and where he is driving. But we repeat, with exception, if he decides to take this further because at hand, we are beginning to gather his incisive and inflammatory posts for litigation against him in court” the statement reads.

The group further highlights that Muri press Release is to incite the gullible public against Hon. Shiban over lies and fabrication of falsehood and also maliciously attacking the present chairman of Wukari local government, Hon Agbu Samaila “having known that the attackers of those innocent KYK members of CRCN in Jootar were Tiv militia, those he has been calling for coalition with”.

ALSO READ:  Kaduna Security Forces Rescue 23 Kidnapped Victims In Joint Operation

The group defend that Hon. Shiban Tikari has never been on the run, but in his hometown in Takum. And the media trial being stage-managed by Muri to demean his image has long fallen.

“We are therefore calling on the general public to be wary with the activities of the so-called STYCOP being handled by Muri. It is not a peace building organization as being peddled but an organization aimed at stirring chaos in the southern part of Taraba state. It is a potential terrorist breeding camp”.

Continue Reading