By Auta Obadiah Dauda
The Kaduna State Government says all public places remain closed, but relevant government agencies will engage business communities and religious leaders to discuss and agreed on protocols and modalities for safe re-opening of businesses and all forms of activities.
This is contained in a statement released by Muyiwa Adekeye, Special Adviser to the governor on media and communication on Tuesday, 2nd June, 2020.
It will be recall that the Kaduna State Government orders the total lockdown of the state on 27th March, 2020 to curtailed the spread of covid-19 that had claimed many lives in the country and the world.
Adeleye said that Kaduna State is not among the states that were closed by the federal government and is not affected by the steps taken to ease such federally-imposed lockdown yesterday. So people should not be construe as the federal government relaxing in all states conditions that it does not impose in the first place.
That Kaduna State had already drawn a well articulated plan for the re-opening activities which was established last week as a public document for the benefit of its residents and citizens and this is why the lockdown was extended by two weeks on 26th May, 2020 where steps to ease some of the restrictions were announced which includes addition of lockdown free days from two to three days.
That the quarantine extension announced by the Deputy Governor Dr. Hadiza Balarabe on 26th May 2020 made clear that “schools, places of worship and markets will remain closed under the adjusted orders. The relevant government officials and agencies will be engaging with religious leaders, transport unions, traditional institutions, market unions, school proprietors and other stakeholders as may be identified from time to time, to discuss the conditions and circumstances for a safe reopening of these sectors.”
The special adviser said that the Kaduna State also maintains the prohibition of interstate and intercity travel. Government officials and mobile courts will continue to enforce this ban to prevent people from spreading the virus through non-essential movement. In addition, the nighttime curfew that has been enforced across the state still remains, from 6pm to 6am.
He also said that residents are reminded that the partial easing of restrictions is being undertaken to ensure that Covid-19 prevention efforts can continue side by side with the pursuit of livelihoods. It has been a most difficult period for citizens, with many inconveniences amid the danger of Covid-19. The people of Kaduna State are aware that though we have not experienced hundreds of “unexplained deaths”, Covid-19 infections continue to rise due partly to intensive testing, tracing and treatment by our health personnel, and largely to the failure of some persons to comply fully with the quarantine restrictions imposed.
That all the sacrifices made by residents of Kaduna State demand that the easing of the lockdown be done safely and responsibly. Public safety and the protection of human lives remain the sole motivation for the government’s Covid-19 response. Government therefore appeals to residents and leaders to be patient and collaborate to implement a careful, safe and responsible re-opening of our State.