By Michael Pavitt
Confederation of African Football (CAF) says its Governance Committee will work with the FIFA Review Committee to finalise a date to confirm candidates its upcoming election.
Just two of the five candidates for the CAF Presidency were approved to appear on the ballot last week.
Augustin Senghor, President of the Senegalese Football Federation (SFF), and Jacques Anouma, former President of the Ivorian Football Federation (FIF) and ex-member of the FIFA Executive Committee, have been confirmed as eligible candidates for the top job.
South African billionaire and mining magnate Patrice Motsepe and Ahmed Yahya, President of the Mauritanian Football Federation are also still in contention.
The CAF Governance Committee said additional checks were required before confirming their candidacies.
Madagascar’s Ahmad was ruled ineligible to stand for re-election.
The declaration of ineligibility comes a little more than a month after Ahmad was given a five-year ban for financial misconduct by the FIFA Ethics Committee.
The election is scheduled to be held on March 12 in Rabat in Morocco.
The CAF President would also become a FIFA vice-president.
An update from CAF said its Governance Committee will work with the FIFA Review Committee to confirm the list of eligible candidates.
The update from CAF followed a CAF Emergency Committee videoconference yesterday.
“The Governance Committee of CAF shall submit, to the FIFA Review Committee, the candidatures received for the position of CAF President, with the understanding that the President of CAF will become the Vice-President of FIFA,” CAF said.
“The Governance Committee of CAF together with the FIFA Review Committee must determine as soon as possible a date for formalizing the final list of all the candidates for all the elections, namely: members of the CAF Executive Committee, FIFA Council members and CAF President.”
Ahmad, who goes by one name, became CAF President in 2017, but his spell in charge was clouded by allegations of financial wrongdoing and other ethics breaches, leading to an investigation by FIFA.
On November 23, Ahmad was banned from all football activity for five years by FIFA after being found to have committed four breaches of the ethics codes.
The violations concerned duty of loyalty, offering or accepting gifts or other benefits, abuse of position and misappropriation of funds.
Ahmad has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, claiming the FIFA Ethics Committee expedited the sanction to prevent him from being re-elected President of the African body.
He has expressed hope of overturning the sanction and appearing on the ballot for the election.