• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home Education

80% of Candidates Absent from UTME Mop-up Exams – JAMB

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
June 29, 2025
in Education
0
80% of Candidates Absent from UTME Mop-up Exams – JAMB
0
SHARES
6
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

More than 80 per cent of the 98,232 candidates eligible for the nationwide mop-up Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) failed to turn up for the examination on Saturday.

The registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Ishaq Oloyede, disclosed this in Abuja during the monitoring exercise of the rescheduled examinations.

RelatedPosts

WAEC Introduces Paperless Certificates Across Five Member Countries

Kaduna SUBEB Flags Off Distribution of Instructional Materials to Schools

FG Launches New ASUU Agreement: 40% Salary Boost for Academic Staff

Mr Oloyede attributed the development to intensified security measures targeting impersonators and exam cheats.

He said the turnout was alarmingly low, with only about 12 per cent of registered candidates showing up across the country.

“Every year, we do mop-up, and it is normally for about 4,000 to 5,000 students, who, for illness or other genuine reasons, could not take the exam.

“Mop-up is also conducted for candidates who, after our review, we find out had technical problems in their centres,” he said.

Mr Oloyede explained that this year’s large mop-up pool was necessitated by allegations of widespread absence in the main examination.

He said the board opted to give everyone a second chance while also leveraging intelligence gathered from security agencies.

“In the wisdom of the management and our stakeholders, we felt everybody who missed the exam should be given the opportunity.

“However, given the intelligence we have gathered in conjunction with the DSS and the police, we were really prepared to apprehend those who will be impersonating,’ he said.

ALSO READ:  Edo Government to Recruit 3,000 Teachers

He added that some CBT centres expecting 250 candidates per session recorded fewer than 20 attendees.

“It is anticipated because, from intelligence gathering, what you have is a bunch of syndicates, particularly those who say they are tutorial centres.

“There are some private school proprietors who have become syndicates of examination malpractices,” Mr Oloyede said.

He added that with the Ministry of Education’s determination to lead the war, exam malpractice would be reduced to the barest minimum.

The JAMB boss also disclosed that some individuals attempted to cheat by falsely declaring themselves as albino to exploit facial recognition vulnerabilities.

“We have never had even up to 100 albinos any year, but this year, we have 1,787 albinos,” he said.

The registrar emphasised that suspected impersonators who failed to take the exam after alleging exclusion from the main UTME would not escape accountability.

“They registered with their name. They have schools. They have NINs and their phone numbers. The security agencies are capable of picking them. In fact, a number of them have already been picked up,” he said.

Mr Oloyede also hinted that parents found financing examination malpractice for their children would soon face investigation and possible prosecution.

Speaking on Direct Entry (DE) admissions, Mr Oloyede revealed that 14 candidates had already been apprehended for presenting forged certificates.

He lamented the role of educational institutions in the perpetration of the fraud.

“A new one that we discovered yesterday in the ongoing registration was that about 20 to 30 students who did not go through NCE were being awarded NCE certificates in order to be able to register for direct entry.

ALSO READ:  Plateau Govt. to shutdown schools involved in examination malpractices

“One of the students who finished secondary school in 2021 was purportedly said to have been admitted for the NCE programme in 2020,” Mr Oloyede added.

(NAN)

Tags: Candidates
Previous Post

NDLEA Destroys 30-hectare Cannabis Farm in Cross River, Nabs Suspects

Next Post

Trump To Issue Executive Orders Boosting AI Development In Tech Race With China

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

WAEC Introduces Paperless Certificates Across Five Member Countries

WAEC Introduces Paperless Certificates Across Five Member Countries

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  The West African Examinations Council has announced the full implementation of its digital certificate services system, WAEC DigiCert, across...

Kaduna SUBEB Flags Off Distribution of Instructional Materials to Schools

Kaduna SUBEB Flags Off Distribution of Instructional Materials to Schools

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

The Kaduna State Universal Basic Education Board (KADSUBEB) has officially commenced the distribution of an impressive array of educational resources...

FG Launches New ASUU Agreement: 40% Salary Boost for Academic Staff

FG Launches New ASUU Agreement: 40% Salary Boost for Academic Staff

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 10, 2026
0

The Federal Government has initiated the rollout of critical welfare measures from its renegotiated agreement with the Academic Staff Union...

Next Post
US Supreme Court rejects Trump’s bid to freeze $2bn in foreign aid

Trump To Issue Executive Orders Boosting AI Development In Tech Race With China

Troops in Counterattack Against Terrorists in Zamfara, kill Notorious kingpin Mai Dada

Troops in Counterattack Against Terrorists in Zamfara, kill Notorious kingpin Mai Dada

Recommended

FX Stability: CBN Approves Weekly Sale of $150,000 to BDCs

FX Stability: CBN Approves Weekly Sale of $150,000 to BDCs

6 days ago
Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

6 hours ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,071)
  • News (9,645)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform