• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Alleged contempt: Ex-Governor Obaseki’s ‘deputy’ honours court summons

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
November 25, 2024
in News
0
Alleged contempt: Ex-Governor Obaseki’s ‘deputy’ honours court summons
0
SHARES
17
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

Mr Godwins Omobayo, who was appointed as deputy governor to the immediate-past Governor of Edo, Godwin Obaseki, on Monday, appeared at a Federal High Court in Abuja to honour a court order.

Omobayo appeared in court alongside his counsel, Mr Ken Mozia, SAN, before Justice Omotosho.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Justice Omotosho had, on Nov. 4, ordered Omobayo to appear in person before him on Nov. 25 (today) over his alleged disobedience to court judgment.

RelatedPosts

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

The judge, in a ruling, held that the order was to give Omobayo, the alleged contemnor, a fair hearing and the opportunity to defend himself in line with Section 36 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended).

NAN had earlier reported that the reinstated Deputy Governor to Obaseki, Philip Shaibu, had filed the contempt charge for Omobayo to be committed to prison over his alleged refusal to vacate the deputy governorship position after a valid court judgment.

Justice Omotosho had, on July 17, voided the impeachment of Shaibu as the deputy governor of Edo by the house of assembly.

The judge, in the judgment, ordered his reinstatement to office on the grounds that the Edo House of Assembly failed to comply with due process in the purported impeachment.

The judge also held that the allegation on which the assembly based the impeachment proceedings was untenable in law and did not constitute a gross misconduct.

ALSO READ:  Coalition flay Lawal ,Radda for skipping security meeting with NSA, others

The judgment was in the suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/478/2024 with Shaibu as the plaintiff.

The reinstated deputy governor had sued the Inspector-General (I-G) of Police, the Deputy Governor of Edo, the Attorney-General, Chief Judge of Edo, Speaker of Edo House of Assembly and the Edo State House of Assembly as 1st to 6th defendants respectively.
Omobayo was, on April 8, sworn in as the new deputy governor after Shaibu’s impeachment by the state’s house of assembly.

Justuce Omotosho had, on Oct. 24, granted Shaibu’s motion ex-parte seeking for an order for a substituted service of Form 49 on Omobayo and fixed Nov. 4 for hearing.

However, neither Omobayo nor his lawyer was represented in court.

Ayotunde Ogunleye, who appeared for Shaibu, therefore, prayed the court to make an order, directing Omobayo to appear in person as order of court cannot continue to be treated with disregard.

Upon resumed hearing on Monday, Omobayo, who was in court, was represented by Mozia.

Ogunleye then told the court that the affidavit of service of Form 48, Form 49, the motion and the hearing notice as ordered by the court on the defendants was dated Nov. 19.

The court registrar equally confirmed the affidavit of service of the documents on the defendants in the court record.

Ogunleye informed the court that the matter was adjourned till today for hearing of the contempt proceedings.

The lawyer, however, said counsel to the contemnor (Omobayo) served them with a motion on notice filed on Nov. 20 by which they sought to regularise their processes.

ALSO READ:  Edo: Surveyors Intensify Work On New Airport Project

Responding, Mozia told the court that it was “Godwins Marvelous Omobayo that filed the motion and not a contemnor” as being referred by Ogunleye.

“He filed an application within which to extend time to file his process. It was filed on Nov. 20.

“I crave the indulgence of your lordship to take the application,” the senior lawyer said.

Ogunleye, who acknowledged being served, said he was not opposing.

But Justuce Omotosho said since the motion was filed on Nov. 20 and presumably served on 1st, 2nd and 5th defendants who were not represented in court, it would be necessary to give them opportunity to also respond in the interest of fair hearing.

The judge consequently adjourned the matter until Jan. 29, 2025 for hearing of the contempt charge.

He ordered that hearing notice be issued and served on 1st, 2nd and 5th defendants.
NAN reports that Obaseki-Shaibu’s tenure in Edo ended on Nov. 12 with the swearing in of the All Progressives Congress (APC)’s Governorship Candidate, Sen. Monday Okpebholo as new governor.(NAN)

Previous Post

Northern Youths Gives ACF 7 -Days Ultimatum To Reinstate Suspended Chairman

Next Post

COAS seeks Senate’s support for more budgetary allocation

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled a hearing for February 24 concerning a suit aimed at compelling the...

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The trial of former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Adoza Bello, continued on Wednesday, February 11, 2026, before Justice Maryanne...

Next Post
COAS seeks Senate’s support for more budgetary allocation

COAS seeks Senate’s support for more budgetary allocation

Navy confiscates 8.1m barrels of stolen crude, apprehend 120 badges in 4 years – Official

Navy confiscates 8.1m barrels of stolen crude, apprehend 120 badges in 4 years – Official

Recommended

INEC & Parties Forge Critical 2027 Reforms Path as FCT Elections Loom

INEC Appointment: Christian Group Hammers Shari’a Council, Warns Against Provocative Statements

5 days ago
Tinubu Appoints Diplomat Yusuf to Lead Hajj Commission Amid Reshuffle

Tinubu Appoints Diplomat Yusuf to Lead Hajj Commission Amid Reshuffle

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (256)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,071)
  • News (9,644)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform