• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Wike vows to demolish all shanties posing security threat to FCT

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
November 11, 2024
in News
0
Wike vows to demolish all shanties posing security threat to FCT
0
SHARES
7
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Nyesom Wike, has vowed to demolish all shanties that pose security threats to the residents of the territory.

Wike made the declaration on Sunday evening in Abuja, when he inspected demolished shanties called Ruga, at Wuye, behind Finance Quarters, harbouring more than 10,000 illegal occupants.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that a Ministerial Tasks Force named “Operation Sweep” had been demolishing illegal settlements across the city.

RelatedPosts

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

However, when the settlement, named by the occupants as Ruga, was demolished on Nov. 5, the illegal occupants, with support from some Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) protested on Friday.

The occupants during the protest, called for the Minister’s sack for demolishing their illegal settlements, claiming it was built by their forefather.

But the Minister said that no amount of intimidation, blackmail or abuses by the illegal occupants or CSOs would deter the government from doing its job.

He expressed worry that the area had been demolished 22 times and yet the illegal occupants have refused to leave.

He warned that would not be a party to a situation where an illegal settlement would be demolished for 22 times and still standing.

“Be assured that we will continue with the demolition of shanties that pose a security threat to FCT, Abuja.

“It doesn’t matter what colouration; whatever name anybody wants to give to it, we will do the right thing and nothing will stop us,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Bwala To Atiku: It May Not Have Been God’s Will For You To Govern Nigeria

Wike warned the illegal occupants against rebuilding any structure in the demolished area, saying the FCT Administration has a responsibility of protecting the lives and properties of all residents.

He explained that the shanties were demolished because security agencies have identified Ruga as one of the areas that pose security threats to the FCT,

He added that security agencies were working day and night to keep Abuja safe.

“This is where you have the rail line; this is a buffer zone and if we allow these kinds of people to live here, what it means, anything can happen to our train.

“Nobody will take that risk. You can imagine the number of persons that are living here, whom we cannot identify.

“We have told them that nobody should build anything, whether temporary or permanent, until the government has taken a final decision on what to do with the land,” he said.

He asked the spokesman of the illegal occupants to nominate five persons, including himself and meet with government officials on Tuesday to find a way out for the people.

On other shanties across the cities, the Minister said that all shanties would be demolished, while some of the areas would be converted to bus terminals.

Earlier, the spokesman of the occupants, Malam Abba Garo, said that although they could not lay claim to the land but have been living in the area for the past 39 years.

Garo noted that the area had been demolished 22 times, but occupants returned and rebuilt because they have no alternative accommodation.

ALSO READ:  Nnamdi Kanu's rearrangement proceedings, a new chapter of justice -Lawyer

He described the Ruga as a “mini-Nigeria” with people from different parts of the country represented in the community.

He pleaded with Wike to find them alternative land to settle, stressing that they have nowhere else to go. (NAN)

Previous Post

Senator Musa seeks measures against pains of subsidy removal

Next Post

‘Not too young to be Lagos governor’ – Speaker

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled a hearing for February 24 concerning a suit aimed at compelling the...

Next Post
‘Not too young to be Lagos governor’ – Speaker

‘Not too young to be Lagos governor’ – Speaker

Shame on  Gov Dauda, PDP for Politicizing Zamfara Insecurity —Group

Clerics Slam Governor Dauda for Failing to Tackle Zamfara’s Insecurity

Recommended

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

5 days ago
Kaduna SUBEB Flags Off Distribution of Instructional Materials to Schools

Kaduna SUBEB Flags Off Distribution of Instructional Materials to Schools

11 hours ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,071)
  • News (9,645)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform