Connect with us

Politics

Edo people will decide their next governor not Wike, says Ighodalo

Published

on

The candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the September 21, 2024 governorship election in Edo State, Asue Ighodalo, has said the people of the South-South state will decide their next governor.

Ighodalo said the choice of who succeeds Godwin Obaseki is not for PDP heavyweight Nyesom Wike or any other person to make but the people of the state.

The PDP candidate was a guest on Channels Television’s Politics Today programme on Monday.

Last Friday, Wike, a former Rivers State governor and current Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), said he won’t support Ighodalo who is the anointed candidate of the outgoing governor.

“I told them (Obaseki and Ighodalo) when they came to me that I am not going to support you, neither am I going to support anybody. The one I supported, it never helped anything. Rather I was insulted.

“I supported him (Obaseki) the last time, what happened? I became a stupid man,” Wike said on the Friday edition of Channels Television’s Politics Today programme.

Responding on Monday, Ighodalo said, “It’s not correct that Governor Wike said he wasn’t going to support us, that’s not correct but events may have overtaken his decision at that point and he’s free to change his mind.

“I believe as a gentleman that he would adhere to the word he gave me but if he has change his mind, so be it.

“When he and I spoke, we spoke on issues around governance, around Nigeria issues, around how we can create a better country, we spoke about Edo State and at the end of the day we ended the conversations at a point where he said he will mind his business and Edo State is not part of his business.

ALSO READ:  Nasarawa Assembly Leadership: Jatau Takes Helm As Speaker

“But again, if he’s decided to change his mind, that’s fine but the decision as to who becomes the next governor of Edo State is the decision of the Edo State people; it’s not the decision of anybody else, whether you’ve been governor or you’re minister.

“It’s only Edo State citizens and people that reside in Edo State who carry PVCs in Edo State that take that decision with the with the support of God Almighty and that’s the way I see it. I fear no man I only fear God.”

The political temperature in the state has been turbocharged in the last year. Of note, 95 cases of violence including 35 incidents of electoral violence have been recorded since January this year in the state. Last week, the PDP declined to sign a peace pact signed by 16 other parties fielding candidates in the poll.

Analysts have described the forthcoming poll as a three-horse race involving PDP’s Asue Ighodalo, Monday Okpebholo of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and Olumide Akpata of the Labour Party (LP).

Politics

Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal Confirms Monday Okpebholo as Governor

Published

on

The Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has officially recognized Monday Okpebholo as the legitimate governor of Edo State.

In a series of three judgments, the tribunal rejected petitions submitted by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Action Alliance, and Accord Party.

The tribunal determined that the PDP did not present any witnesses to substantiate its claims of overvoting.

Specifically, the PDP failed to bring forth polling unit agents from the locations where they alleged electoral discrepancies occurred.

Furthermore, the tribunal noted that among the 19 witnesses presented by the petitioners, 14 were ward and local government agents, while the primary witness, who claimed to be a director of strategy for the PDP, had no involvement in the election’s execution.

Additionally, the tribunal remarked that the BVAS evidence submitted by the petitioners was inadequately presented.

ALSO READ:  Emirship tussle not reason for delay in resumption , Kano assembly
Continue Reading

Politics

SDP condemns Kogi govt’s ban on rallies

Published

on

The Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Kogi State has condemned the ban on political rallies and convoys imposed by the state government.

State Chairman of SDP, Mr Ahmed Attah, issued the condemnation in a statement signed by the SDP Press Secretary, Isaiah Ijele, on Tuesday in Lokoja.

The party described the ban as an attack on democratic principles and a blatant attempt to silence opposition voices.

Attah urged Gov. Ahmed Ododo to learn from the past and avoid repeating old, harmful practices that have hindered the state’s progress.

“The party views this action as an attempt to suppress the freedom of association and movement enshrined in the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” he said.

Attah insisted that the state is not at war and urged the government to focus on development instead of engaging in political manoeuver.

He warned that Kogi must not return to the dark days of repression, particularly against the opposition. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  Power Play: Atiku, Former Governor, Senators Unite To Forge Mega Party For 2027 Elections
Continue Reading

Politics

How mega opposition coalition can defeat Tinubu in 2027 election —Ex-presidential candidate

Published

on

The Presidential Candidate of the defunct National Conscience Party (NCP) in the 2015 general election, Chief Martin Onovo, has said the only unity and emergence of a strong candidate could secure victory for the coalition of opposition leaders in 2027.

Onovo, an activist and Head of Policy Positions, Movement for Fundamental Change (MFC), said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Lagos.

He was reacting to the recent announcement of an opposition coalition to challenge the All progressives Congress (APC) in the next presidential election.

Presidential Candidate of the defunct National Conscience Party (NCP) in the 2015 general election, Chief Martin Onovo,
Presidential Candidate of the defunct National Conscience Party (NCP) in the 2015 general election, Chief Martin Onovo,

“The coalition of opposition leaders needs a candidate that is vigorous; a strong candidate to brighten its chances in 2027. The coalition needs somebody with a clear agenda and a clear vision.

“The opposition needs a candidate with a strong background of integrity. Nobody is perfect, but you need a strong background of integrity.

“The opposition needs somebody who is morally and mentally competent, and physically fit. The opposition does not need the former Vice President Atiku Abubakar or any old person if it wants to win.

“The opposition doesn’t need any old person now. It is time to use the energy of the young.

“They must present a strong candidate, who is strong morally, mentally, and physically, with a clear patriotic agenda to move the country forward, ” Onovo said.

He added that the coalition had a lot that could work to its advantage in 2027 and urged members to work with unity of purpose to achieve convincing victory.

Also speaking on chances of the ruling party in 2027, the politician said APC could remain in power if the challenges arising from subsidy removal and other economic issues were addressed by the present administration.

ALSO READ:  Emirship tussle not reason for delay in resumption , Kano assembly

He also said President Bola Tinubu still had the opportunity to address the security challenges in the country to win in 2027 ,and remain in power ,if interested

Onovo, who noted that he was not part of the organisers of the mega coalition, said that he had always been part of the Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) since 2019 elections.

He called on all Nigerians to unite for the development of the country, ensuring leadership that would fulfill the country’s aspirations.

NAN recalls that former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, had recently announced the formation of a coalition, aimed at unseating Tinubu in 2027.

Atiku made the declaration during a press conference in Abuja, attended by several opposition politicians, including former APC members.

Among those present at the even were the 2023 Labour Party’s presidential candidate, Peter Obi, represented by Dr Yunusa Tanko; former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Babachir Lawal and a former governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai. (NAN)

Continue Reading