Connect with us

Security

Voluntary retirement, discharge, routine in Nigerian Army – Official

Published

on

The Nigerian Army says that voluntary retirement, discharge of personnel is routine and in line with laid down procedures as contained in the Harmonised Terms and Conditions of Service (Officers/Soldiers) alike.

The Director, Army Public Relations, Maj.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, gave the clarification in a statement on Sunday in Abuja.

Nwachukwu faulted the recent publication by some media platforms, alleging mass resignation of soldiers over corruption, low morale and the like.

He said the publication was not only misleading, but also a deliberate attempt to sow the seeds of disaffection and acrimony, as well as denigrate the patriotic service of personnel and reputation of the Nigerian army.

According to him, it is crucial to clarify that service in the Nigerian Army, like most militaries the world over, is voluntary and not conscription.

“This, therefore, provides that individuals are free and at liberty to disengage at will. The situation is the same as the Nigerian Army.

“Personnel are at liberty to disengage from time to time in accordance with laid down procedures

“Discharge from the Nigerian Army is routine and in line with laid down procedures.

“Only in an unorganised army would the discharge of personnel be handled haphazardly; hence, the compilation and release of names routinely, as must have been observed in the case of the Nigerian Army over the years.

“This process allows for personnel who are about to either mandatorily or voluntarily disengage to adequately prepare and process entitlements, emoluments, pensions, and gratuity for the period of service to the nation,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Police ban Shi’ite procession in Abuja, threaten to arrest violators

Nwachukwu described the report as hasty and haphazard, adding that due diligence was not taken to ascertain reasons for the discharge of the personnel, other than the spurious allegation of low morale and corruption.

He said that reasons for the discharge of personnel were confidential, as they range from voluntary disengagements, medical grounds, and pursuit of other professions of interest and endeavours, and community service, amongst others.

According to him, the notion that soldiers are resigning enmasse due to welfare issues is a gross misrepresentation of reality and certainly not the true picture.

“Instead, Nigerian Army recruitments are highly competitive and even oversubscribed.

“Contrary to the insinuations in the report, Nigerian Army personnel are highly motivated, and their welfare is top priority under the visionary leadership of the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja.

“Suffice to state that within one year of the current leadership, significant strides have been made to improve the standards of living and the overall well-being of personnel and their families.

“A prime example is the Affordable Housing Option for All Soldiers Scheme, aka AHOOAS, which has been inaugurated across the nation, allowing personnel to choose where to live and own decent post service accommodation.

“This initiative underscores the Nigerian Army’s commitment to ensuring that personnel enjoy dignified post-service life,” he said.

The Army spokesman said the army was currently undertaking massive rehabilitation of existing and construction of new infrastructure across formations, units, and barracks in the country to ensure conducive working and living atmosphere for troops and their families.

ALSO READ:  Gunmen Attack Yahaya Bello’s Convoy, Injure Security aides In Kogi

He added that allowances had been regularly paid as and when due for soldiers deployed in operational theaters.

“This is aside the regular free airlifting of troops proceeding on leaves and passes, as well as free medical evacuation of injured troops for both local and foreign treatments.

“Military hospitals and medical centres are equally receiving remodeling and upgrading of equipment for efficient service delivery to personnel and their families.

“These are in addition to combat enablers injected into all theatres of operations across the country to enhance troops’ operational effectiveness and ensure adequate force protection.

“Personnel capacity development is also receiving adequate attention, as both officers and soldiers are engaged regularly in training activities to build their capabilities in consonance with global best practice,” he added.

Nwachukwu said the allegation of widespread resignation due to poor welfare was unfounded and irrational, urging media organisations to avoid being tools of disinformation.

He said the army would continue to prioritise the welfare and morale of its personnel and ensure that they remain motivated and fully equipped to carry out their duties in defense of the nation. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Security

Benue Residents Protest Against ‘Incessant Killings, Abductions

Published

on

Residents of Otukpo in Benue south district have staged a protest against the incessant cases of kidnappings and killings by suspected herdsmen.

The Tuesday demonstration saw protesters, mostly youths, occupy the Otukpo-Enugu federal highway, calling on the government to address the growing insecurity in the state.

There has been a surge in cases of killings and kidnappings allegedly carried out by suspected herdsmen in several LGAs in Benue state.

When contacted, Catherine Anene, the police spokesperson in the state, told TheCable that the protest was brought under control by security operatives.

“The protest is under control at the moment; we would let you know as soon as there is further information,” Anene said.

On March 10, 13 people, including women and children, were reportedly killed in an attack by suspected herdsmen on Katsina Ala LGA of the state.

The gunmen were said to have attacked several communities, including Utange council, Kpav, Dikpo, and the Imande Gberihwa area of the state.

ALSO READ:  Police ban Shi’ite procession in Abuja, threaten to arrest violators
Continue Reading

News

Group Condemns Linking Ex-Taraba Council Boss to Southern Taraba Unrest

Published

on

The Takum Renaissance Forum(TRF)has condemned a press release issue by STYCOP headed by Rikwensi Muri associating’s increasing surge in insecurity and unrest in Southern Taraba to former Takum local government chairman Shiban Tikari.

In a statement issue by the group secretary Emmanuel Joro, it says for the avoidance of doubt, they wouldn’t have dabbled into the issue, but for the sake of records, they’ve chosen to react.

In Muri’s press release which states that “We must also remember the actions of Hon. Shiban Tikari, former chairman of Takum Local Government Council, who similarly exploited the “Tiv Militias,” “Kuteb Militias,” and “Fulani Militias” narrative to destabilize the region”.

The Group responded by saying “It is on records that Hon. Shiban stabilized the atmosphere of Takum and environs during his tenure. His administration was not marred by state-sponsored kidnappings, murders and sacking of more than 100 communities by mercenary bandits brought against the Kuteb communities as claimed by Rikwensi Muri, in his usual false accusations. Muri and his co-travellers are the same ones who were bent on throwing Takum and Ussa communities into the pool of crisis. Everybody knew it. Fulani herdsmen were said to have paid millions to their kuteb Chiefs before being given permission to bring their cows to graze in ussa LGA. Muri is quiet about it.”

The group further stated that the former Taraba State Governor, Darius Ishaku agreed to compensate the herders on the lost of their cows to stop attacking Kuteb communities, but instead after the money had come to their possession for compensation to be paid to the Fulani, it was diverted. They instead opted for the money to be used for arms procurement to fight the Fulani herdsmen.

ALSO READ:  Insecurity: Governor Lawal Summons Heads Of Security Agencies

“Why are the likes of Muri and their cohorts, who wanted war with Fulani and called for it, still turning around to blame Gov DDI led administration alongside the then chairmen of Takum and Wukari for their woes”?

“It’s good to note that we are above media trials and other sensational lies to curry public sympathy. Muri has been attacking the image of the Governor of Taraba state, Dr Agbu Kefas and other notable personalities in the state like our fathers, Gen TY Danjuma and the Aku Uka, The Chief of Takum and other notable personalities, but we are not beginning to take this as an exception. Muri’s height of media rascality is a charade taken far”.

“Of all these, none of us or even the authority have chosen to arrest him for defamation. Why? Because of his lunatic approaches and the cheap relevance he is looking for, we can’t give him. The public is always aware of his sponsors and where he is driving. But we repeat, with exception, if he decides to take this further because at hand, we are beginning to gather his incisive and inflammatory posts for litigation against him in court” the statement reads.

The group further highlights that Muri press Release is to incite the gullible public against Hon. Shiban over lies and fabrication of falsehood and also maliciously attacking the present chairman of Wukari local government, Hon Agbu Samaila “having known that the attackers of those innocent KYK members of CRCN in Jootar were Tiv militia, those he has been calling for coalition with”.

ALSO READ:  Chad Army eliminates ‘many’ Boko Haram terrorists in air strikes

The group defend that Hon. Shiban Tikari has never been on the run, but in his hometown in Takum. And the media trial being stage-managed by Muri to demean his image has long fallen.

“We are therefore calling on the general public to be wary with the activities of the so-called STYCOP being handled by Muri. It is not a peace building organization as being peddled but an organization aimed at stirring chaos in the southern part of Taraba state. It is a potential terrorist breeding camp”.

Continue Reading

Security

Fish Out Killers Of Travellers In Edo, Tinubu Orders Security Agencies

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has given marching orders to security agencies to fish out those behind the killing of some travellers in Edo State.

The victims, who were said to be travelling from Port Harcourt to the northern part of Nigeria, were allegedly killed by a mob in Uromi, Edo State, on Thursday.

While reacting to the incident, President Bola Tinubu described it as dastardly.

“The President, who expressed shock at the dastardly act on Thursday, directed Police and other security agencies to conduct swift and thorough investigations and punish the suspected culprits,” presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga said in a statement on Friday.

The President noted that jungle justice has no place in Nigeria, and all Nigerians have the freedom to move freely in any part of the country.

Tinubu condoled with the families of the affected people and assured them “that criminals would not be allowed to shed the blood of innocent Nigerians in vain”.

Meanwhile, the Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has visited the community, condemning the killing of the travellers.

The governor described the incident as barbaric, according to a statement from his spokesman Fred Itua, and ordered a full-scale investigation into the killing.

“The Governor directed the State Police Command and other security agencies to conduct thorough and speedy investigations into the matter and bring those found culpable to book. He also charged the community to work with the security agencies to fish out the culprits,” Itua said in a statement on Friday

“Governor Okpebholo also commended community leaders, especially the leadership of Arewa community in the area, for deescalating tensions and handling the situation with restrain.”

ALSO READ:  Breaking News: 25 Internet Fraudsters Convicted And Jailed In Anambra

The governor promised justice for the victims and maintained that there is “no excuse for the vigilante members to take the law into their hands without recourse to statutory law enforcement agencies”.

Continue Reading