Connect with us

National

Can 10th National Assembly lay petroleum industry challenges to rest?

Published

on

Nigeria is a leading producer of crude in Africa and a major crude  exporter in the world. Oil receipts are the major source of revenue source for the country, contributing more than 80 per cent of the country’s income.

Available records from the Statista showed that Nigeria’s crude oil reserves stood at 36.9 billion barrels and valued at roughly 74 million metric tons.

The crude oil products such as premium motor spirit, otherwise known as petrol, diesel, aviation fuel known in the industry as Jet A1 are imported. They are a major drain on government’s purse.

A cardinal part of President Bola Tinubu’s monetary and fiscal policies is directed at stimulating additional revenue and foreign exchange earnings with ultimate goal of improving livelihood of Nigerians.

The policies are also designed to stabilise exchange rate, reduce inflation, lower interest rate and encourage investments.

The petroleum sector is key in achieving these aims because virtually all economic policies revolve around it.

However, recent developments in the oil seem to threaten that ambition as accusation and counter accusations bothering on corruption and sabotage have dominate news about the sector.

But more disturbing is recent ugly narrative of alleged importation of hazardous and substandard petroleum products into the country.

The issue of toxic petroleum product importation came to public space when the Senator representing Cross River South Senatorial District. Sen.Asuquo Ekpenyong, moved a motion on alleged toxic petroleum products importation and distribution.

Ekpenyong, had at a Senate plenary on July 3, 2024, sponsored a motion for Senate to probe alleged importation of hazardous petroleum products into the country.

Following a comprehensive debate on the motion, Senate consequently constituted an ad hoc committee for an investigation on the matter.

ALSO READ:  Senator Orji Kalu Congratulates Aide Sunny Idika On Birthday

The committee members, as announced by President of thee Senate, Sen. Godswill Akpabio were fifteen in number with Leader of the Senate, Sen.Opeyemi Bamidele as chairman.

Alongside the onerous mandate to investigate alleged importation of toxic petroleum products, the committee was also mandated to do a comprehensive probe of the sector with a view to ending decades of irritating narratives.

However, the one million question, agitating minds of Nigerians is the ability of the 10th National Assembly to end the perceived issues in the sector via the investigation, given outcome of previous investigative hearings on the sector.

Interestingly, Bamidele, speaking in Abuja at an interactive session with key stakeholders in the sector re-emphasised the concerns of Nigerians on the upcoming investigation asmost of them have ended up has jamborees.

He said: “Will this investigative hearing end up like the previous ones?

“Can the Senate really address the challenges in the petroleum industry given the entrenched interests of some powerful interests?.

“These are some of the questions the media have been asking in their analyses and reports since the constitution of this ad-hoc committee on July 3.”

Bamidele said the senate had been carrying out its mandate to resolve deep-seated challenges that had hitherto obstructed to smooth functioning of petroleum industry for decades.

He urged all parties to jettison their differences as the committee embarks on a journey to uncover the truth about the goings on in the sector.

“I therefore, assure you that we are all committed to conducting a thorough and impartial investigation across all areas outlined in the senate resolution of July 3”, he said.

ALSO READ:  Tinubu's CoS to Grace Yauri Rigata Festival

Bamidele said no one concerned would be exempted from the scrutiny, adding that the committee’s collective goal was to serve overriding public interest.

According to him, it is truly a challenging period in the nation given that supply of refined petroleum products has been irregular and problematic.

“The long queues at filling stations are also a testament to this challenge.

“A situation, where we now depend almost entirely on importation of these products, even when we daily supply global oil market’s no fewer than two per cent of its crude oil needs, is to say the least, highly worrisome.

Bamidele said to ensure broad participation, the committee has created a platform for the general public and stakeholders to submit memoranda before the public hearings that was slated to hold from Sept. 10 – 12.

“We have accepted this huge responsibility with the resolve to make a difference.

“We are also staking our integrity and safety to develop an efficient and functional regime that guarantees transparent management of strategic national resources,’’ he said.

Sen. Heineken Lokpobiri, the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, said that the oil sector was bedeviled by lots of misinformation.

“This investigation will do a whole lot of justice not only to the Senate but we in the Executive and key leaders in the sector.

“Because of the fundamental nature of this investigation that has to do with alleged economic sabotage with importation of substandard products into the country, we urge the Senate to ensure we do a live broadcast,” he said.

Similarly, at a news conference organised by the committee, Sen. Abdul Ningi said he understood reservations and pessimism of Nigerians toward outcome of upcoming investigation.

ALSO READ:  Student Loan: Why We Must Avoid Debt Traps— Adeleke

“With high level of integrity of members of this committee, we are assuring you that at the end of the day we are going to have a very solid recommendations to move Nigeria forward’’, he said..

Sen. Yahaya Abdullahi said from what he glimpsed from media reports, Nigerians were skeptic about the potential outcome of the investigation and its implementation.

“We are people that are very much concerned with our integrity. We are here to go deep down into what is happening to see how we can add value to the governance of this country”, Ningi said.

Analysts say the capacity of the committee to function rightly, given the pedigree, strength of character, quality of public service records and antecedents of its members was not in doubt, hence the expectation that it will leave above board.

Should the members of the committee justify the high rating, the perception is that investigation would be the beginning of an end to the perceived challenges in the industry.

Perception is one thing, reality is another. In the event that the latter is the case, what policy makers and implementers will do with the investigation outcome is another kettle of fish.

Nigerians cannot afford to wait any longer to be rescued from the troubles inflicted on them by oil and gas, which in other climes is a source of blessing. (NANFeatures)

National

INEC: We are not partisan in failed recall of Natasha

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has denied being partisan in handling the failed recall of the Senator representing Kogi Central, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of INEC, Rotimi Oyekanmi, who was on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, explained how the Commission handled the process.

“In the case of the Kogi Central District, we received a petition and a cover letter and of course what Nigerians were saying was that we were taking sides,” Oyekanmi said on the programme.

INEC logo and Senator Natasha Akpoti (Kogi-Central PDP)
INEC logo and Senator Natasha Akpoti (Kogi-Central PDP)

“But what happened was that in the covering letter, the representatives of the petitioners did not include their address as required in our regulations and guidelines and what we just did was to ask them to supply their address, it has nothing to do with the petition.

“And of course, there is nowhere in the law where INEC is asked to reject a petition just because the cover letter did not contain the address. So, there was no hanky-panky in what we did.”

Earlier on Thursday, INEC rejected the petition to recall Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, saying that it has not met the requirements.

The electoral commission said the petition to recall Senator Natasha did not meet constitutional requirements.

Senator Natasha was suspended for breaching Senate rules, prompting some of her constituents to initiate her recall. They claimed the move was to ensure their constituency did not lack representation following the suspension of the 45-year-old senator.

Asked whether there could be a repeat of the recall process, the INEC spokesperson said the law did not specify if the process could be repeated and how many times.

ALSO READ:  Middle Belt Forum Slams Speaker Abbas' N82 Billion Zaria Bonanza

“The law just talks about the threshold, the threshold meaning that if you want to recall, you must have, in addition to your petition, 50 per cent plus one signatures. The law did not specify how many times you can undertake that,” he said.

Channels

Continue Reading

National

INEC Not Partisan In Failed Recall Of Natasha – Spokesperson

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has denied being partisan in handling the failed recall of the Senator representing Kogi Central, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of INEC, Rotimi Oyekanmi, who was on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, explained how the Commission handled the process.

“In the case of the Kogi Central District, we received a petition and a cover letter and of course what Nigerians were saying was that we were taking sides,” Oyekanmi said on the programme.

“But what happened was that in the covering letter, the representatives of the petitioners did not include their address as required in our regulations and guidelines and what we just did was to ask them to supply their address, it has nothing to do with the petition.

“And of course, there is nowhere in the law where INEC is asked to reject a petition just because the cover letter did not contain the address. So, there was no hanky-panky in what we did.”

Earlier on Thursday, INEC rejected the petition to recall Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, saying that it has not met the requirements.

The electoral commission said the petition to recall Senator Natasha did not meet constitutional requirements.

Senator Natasha was suspended for breaching Senate rules, prompting some of her constituents to initiate her recall. They claimed the move was to ensure their constituency did not lack representation following the suspension of the 45-year-old senator.

Asked whether there could be a repeat of the recall process, the INEC spokesperson said the law did not specify if the process could be repeated and how many times.

ALSO READ:  Tinubu's CoS to Grace Yauri Rigata Festival

“The law just talks about the threshold, the threshold meaning that if you want to recall, you must have, in addition to your petition, 50 per cent plus one signatures. The law did not specify how many times you can undertake that,” he said.

The lawmaker has made headlines in recent months after she accused Senate President Godswill Akpabio of sexual harassment, a claim the Akwa Ibom lawmaker has equally denied.

She was thereafter suspended by the Red Chamber for violation of its rule of conduct.

Continue Reading

National

NSA Hands Over Ex-NYSC DG, 18 Other Kidnapped Victims To CDS

Published

on

The National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, has handed over 19 kidnapped victims rescued by the security agencies to the Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa.

The brief ceremony took place on Thursday at the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Office of the National Security Adviser in Abuja.

The victims included Ambassador Gideon Yohanna, the former Director-General of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brigadier-General Maharazu Tsiga (retired) who had spent 56 days in captivity and 17 others, including a child.

Both Ribadu and Musa pledged to remain relentless until the criminals are wiped out and normalcy restored in the country.

“As a result of the work of our armed forces and other security services, we are able to rescue and bring back our own people,” he said.

“This time, it involves important personalities who served this country. We thank God for their lives, we are grateful to those who made it possible.

“This is an ongoing operation and we are doing it quite silently, we will go after the bad ones.”

ALSO READ:  Middle Belt Forum Slams Speaker Abbas' N82 Billion Zaria Bonanza
Continue Reading