Connect with us

National

Youth development, our priority – NEDC

Published

on

The North East Development Commission (NEDC) says it will continue to prioritise programmes that will create employment for young people in the region.
The Managing Director of the commission, Mr Mohammed Alkali stated this on Tuesday when he received the Minister of State for Youth Development Mr Olawande Ayodele, in Abuja.
Alkali said youth development is critical in the 10-year strategic Masterplan of NEDC in order to tackle the devastating impact of Boko Haram insurgency in the region.
According to him, the 15 years of boko haram insurgency in the North-East had negatively affected the education system and left the sector in dire need of intervention.
‘”Over 70 per cent of school teachers were killed in Borno State alone during the Boko Haram crises, because of the ideology that western education is forbidden.
“The NEDC has taken steps by recruiting more teachers to fill-in the gap, because we believe education is key to addressing societal ills” he said.
Alkali added that the commission had been making effort to engage some of the repentant members of the boko haram insurgents through vocational training after they had been deradicalised.
The MD noted that the comprehensive masterplan included, Youth in Agriculture,  Commerce, Information and Communication Technology (ICT) which young people were trained and empowered.
“The commission will continue to support young people to achieve their full potentials in the region.
“in other to address their educational needs we have built 18 mega schools and 18 ICT vocational training centres in each Senatorial District across the region-.
“So far, 40,000 young men and women have graduated from the centres, some are employed by government agencies while others are  self employed,” he said
Earlier, the Minister told the Managing Director that, the essence of the visit was to seek collaboration and strengthen mechanism in engaging young population in the region.
Ayodele expressed worry over the growing population of young people that engaged in drug abuse.
He said the ministry would partner the NEDC to champion the campaign against drug abuse to the community level.
The Minister  commended the NEDC for initiating various youth intervention programmes through its strategic masterplan.
(NAN)
ALSO READ:  Over 1,500 Youth Leaders to Shape Nigeria’s Future

National

INEC: We are not partisan in failed recall of Natasha

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has denied being partisan in handling the failed recall of the Senator representing Kogi Central, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of INEC, Rotimi Oyekanmi, who was on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, explained how the Commission handled the process.

“In the case of the Kogi Central District, we received a petition and a cover letter and of course what Nigerians were saying was that we were taking sides,” Oyekanmi said on the programme.

INEC logo and Senator Natasha Akpoti (Kogi-Central PDP)
INEC logo and Senator Natasha Akpoti (Kogi-Central PDP)

“But what happened was that in the covering letter, the representatives of the petitioners did not include their address as required in our regulations and guidelines and what we just did was to ask them to supply their address, it has nothing to do with the petition.

“And of course, there is nowhere in the law where INEC is asked to reject a petition just because the cover letter did not contain the address. So, there was no hanky-panky in what we did.”

Earlier on Thursday, INEC rejected the petition to recall Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, saying that it has not met the requirements.

The electoral commission said the petition to recall Senator Natasha did not meet constitutional requirements.

Senator Natasha was suspended for breaching Senate rules, prompting some of her constituents to initiate her recall. They claimed the move was to ensure their constituency did not lack representation following the suspension of the 45-year-old senator.

Asked whether there could be a repeat of the recall process, the INEC spokesperson said the law did not specify if the process could be repeated and how many times.

ALSO READ:  COAS inaugurates operational training, welfare projects in Enugu

“The law just talks about the threshold, the threshold meaning that if you want to recall, you must have, in addition to your petition, 50 per cent plus one signatures. The law did not specify how many times you can undertake that,” he said.

Channels

Continue Reading

National

INEC Not Partisan In Failed Recall Of Natasha – Spokesperson

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has denied being partisan in handling the failed recall of the Senator representing Kogi Central, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of INEC, Rotimi Oyekanmi, who was on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, explained how the Commission handled the process.

“In the case of the Kogi Central District, we received a petition and a cover letter and of course what Nigerians were saying was that we were taking sides,” Oyekanmi said on the programme.

“But what happened was that in the covering letter, the representatives of the petitioners did not include their address as required in our regulations and guidelines and what we just did was to ask them to supply their address, it has nothing to do with the petition.

“And of course, there is nowhere in the law where INEC is asked to reject a petition just because the cover letter did not contain the address. So, there was no hanky-panky in what we did.”

Earlier on Thursday, INEC rejected the petition to recall Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, saying that it has not met the requirements.

The electoral commission said the petition to recall Senator Natasha did not meet constitutional requirements.

Senator Natasha was suspended for breaching Senate rules, prompting some of her constituents to initiate her recall. They claimed the move was to ensure their constituency did not lack representation following the suspension of the 45-year-old senator.

Asked whether there could be a repeat of the recall process, the INEC spokesperson said the law did not specify if the process could be repeated and how many times.

ALSO READ:  Over 1,500 Youth Leaders to Shape Nigeria’s Future

“The law just talks about the threshold, the threshold meaning that if you want to recall, you must have, in addition to your petition, 50 per cent plus one signatures. The law did not specify how many times you can undertake that,” he said.

The lawmaker has made headlines in recent months after she accused Senate President Godswill Akpabio of sexual harassment, a claim the Akwa Ibom lawmaker has equally denied.

She was thereafter suspended by the Red Chamber for violation of its rule of conduct.

Continue Reading

National

NSA Hands Over Ex-NYSC DG, 18 Other Kidnapped Victims To CDS

Published

on

The National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, has handed over 19 kidnapped victims rescued by the security agencies to the Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa.

The brief ceremony took place on Thursday at the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Office of the National Security Adviser in Abuja.

The victims included Ambassador Gideon Yohanna, the former Director-General of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brigadier-General Maharazu Tsiga (retired) who had spent 56 days in captivity and 17 others, including a child.

Both Ribadu and Musa pledged to remain relentless until the criminals are wiped out and normalcy restored in the country.

“As a result of the work of our armed forces and other security services, we are able to rescue and bring back our own people,” he said.

“This time, it involves important personalities who served this country. We thank God for their lives, we are grateful to those who made it possible.

“This is an ongoing operation and we are doing it quite silently, we will go after the bad ones.”

ALSO READ:  President Tinubu Concludes Working Vacation and Returns to Abuja
Continue Reading