Connect with us

National

Leaked documents on fiscal policy proposals not official – FG

Published

on

The Presidency said that two fiscal policy documents in circulation being given wide coverage by the mainstream media and social media platforms were not official.

Mr Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, said this in a statement in Abuja on Thursday.

He said one of the documents titled: “Inflation Reduction and Price Stability (Fiscal Policy Measure etc) Order 2024” was being shared as if it was an executive order signed by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

According to him, the second one is a 65-page draft document with the title, “Accelerated Stabilisation and Advancement Plan (ASAP), which contains suggestions on how to improve the Nigerian economy.”

He explained that a copy of the draft was received by President Tinubu on Tuesday.

“We urge the public and the media to disregard the two documents and cease further discussions on them. None is an approved official document of the Federal Government of Nigeria.

“They are all policy proposals that are still subject to reviews at the highest level of government. Indeed, one has ‘draft’ clearly written on it,” said Onanuga.

Quoting the Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Mr Wale Edun, he said, “It is important to understand that policymaking is an iterative process involving multiple drafts and discussions before any document is finalised.

“We assure the public that the official position on the documents will be made available after comprehensive reviews and approvals are completed.”

According to Edun, emanating from the two documents have been reports second-guessing government’s policy on customs tariffs, fuel subsidy and other economic matters.

ALSO READ:  NOA Adamawa Welcomes New Director

“The government wants to restate that its position on fuel subsidy has not changed from what President Bola Ahmed Tinubu declared on 29 May 2023.

“The fuel subsidy regime has ended. There is no N5.4 trillion being provisioned for it in 2024, as being widely speculated and discussed,” Edun stated.

The Coordinating Minister of the Economy further clarified: “As previously stated by government officials, including myself, President Tinubu announced the end of the fuel subsidy programme last year, and this policy remains firmly in place.

“The Federal Government is committed to mitigating the effects of this removal and easing the cost of living pressures on Nigerians.

“Our strategy focuses on addressing key factors such as food inflation, which is significantly impacted by transport costs.

“With the implementation of our CNG initiative, which aims to displace high PMS and AGO costs, we expect to further reduce these costs.

“Our commitment to ending unproductive subsidies is steadfast, as is our dedication to supporting our most vulnerable populations.”

He urged the media to always exercise necessary checks and restraints in the use of documents that did not emanate from official channels so that the members of the public would be properly informed, guided and educated on government policies and programmes. (NAN)

National

JUST IN: IGP Withdraws Invitation to Sanusi

Published

on

The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, has withdrawn the invitation extended to the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi.

The police chief, however, directed the Kano State command of the force to obtain the monarch’s statement in the State regarding the incident.

Egbetokun, who gave the directive through the spokesman of the police, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, said the withdrawal became imperative following the intervention of some stakeholders in the country.

The top cop also said his resolve was in line with the police’s commitment to ensuring that policing actions are not politicized or misinterpreted.

Details shortly…

ALSO READ:  Lamentations as cash scarcity hits Kaduna, Kano, Katsina
Continue Reading

National

Unity and Accurate Reporting Essential to End Plateau Violence, Says NSA

Published

on

Nuhu Ribadu, the National Security Adviser (NSA), has called on communities in Plateau to take proactive steps towards restoring peace, asserting that it is time to collectively declare an end to the ongoing violence that has plagued the state for many years.

During a condolence visit to Jos on Sunday, representing President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Ribadu expressed the president’s profound sorrow regarding the recent attacks in Bokkos Local Government Area, which resulted in numerous fatalities and the displacement of families.

“On behalf of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, I am here to convey his heartfelt condolences to the people of Plateau in light of the recent crisis we have experienced,” he stated.

While acknowledging the prompt actions taken by security forces, the NSA emphasized that achieving lasting peace requires more than just military intervention. He urged residents, who have coexisted for generations, to engage in dialogue, foster unity, and seek reconciliation.

Ribadu noted that while the frequency of attacks has diminished compared to previous years, unresolved tensions still create opportunities for criminal activities.

“Our security forces are performing admirably. However, our communities have the potential to do even better. It is time to declare that enough is enough. When individuals within the same community fail to resolve their issues peacefully, criminals exploit the situation, leading to crises that escalate rapidly,” he cautioned.

He assured that both federal and state governments are collaborating closely to stabilize the region and praised Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang for the visible improvements in the area’s security landscape.

ALSO READ:  Ohanaeze Youth Decries Uzodinma's "Skill Up" Program as Fraudulent

“The federal government is committed, and the state government is actively engaged. The governor’s efforts have been commendable, contributing to the relative improvements we are witnessing,” he remarked.

Discussing the challenge of misinformation, Ribadu urged the media to refrain from disseminating unverified or exaggerated casualty figures, warning that such reports could exacerbate already volatile situations.

“While we have mourned many losses, the figures circulating may not accurately reflect the reality. Nonetheless, every life lost is significant. We urge the media to ensure the accuracy of their reports. Truthful reporting is crucial for our collective healing and for maintaining peace and security,” he asserted.

He underscored that sustainable development hinges on peace, describing it as the cornerstone of progress. Despite Plateau experiencing recurring violence for over two decades, Ribadu reaffirmed the government’s commitment to ending the cycle of bloodshed.

“Without peace, nothing functions—there can be no progress, growth, development, education, or health. The president has made it clear: enough is enough. This cycle must end. We are committed to amplifying our efforts to achieve greater improvements,” he concluded.

Continue Reading

National

Tinubu vows severe punishment for Plateau attackers, condoles victims family

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has promised that the gunmen who killed many people in communities in Plateau State will be apprehended and face severe punishment under the law.

The President extended his condolences to the families of the victims in Ruwi, Hurti, and Tadai communities in Bokkos Local Government and those from Manguna and Dafo villages, where the gunmen launched brutal attacks, resulting in the loss of lives and the destruction of properties.

President Tinubu in a statement by his spokesman, Bayo Onanuga, also commiserated with the Government of Plateau State and Governor Caleb Mutfwang.

He urged the affected communities to cooperate with the authorities and security agencies by volunteering information to catch the perpetrators and secure their communities.

He assured Governor Mutfwang of his support in ending this spate of wanton bloodletting on the Plateau.

He directed the National Emergency Management Agency to work with state authorities to provide necessary support to the victims and bring immediate relief to the affected communities and those wounded during the attacks. NEMA will work closely with the state to ensure that affected communities rebuild and recover.

The President stated: “The report of another violent attack in communities in Plateau State by mindless gunmen saddens me. The latest attacks on defenceless citizens are unacceptable. I have directed security agencies to hunt down the attackers, and they will face severe punishment when apprehended. These intermittent attacks should have no place in our country at a time when we are working so hard to restore peace and order in all parts of our country. This unfortunate incident will never dampen and slow us down in our duty to protect every Nigerian citizen. Instead, we will work harder to exterminate forces of evil wherever they are lurking in our country.

ALSO READ:  Breaking: UNIBEN shuts down academic activities indefinitely

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims’ families and all those affected by this senseless violence.  No community should have to endure such tragedy. We all must unite to foster peace and stability. I urge all citizens—regardless of ethnic, religious, or political affiliations—to uphold the shared humanity that binds us all, embrace peace and reject retaliation.”

Continue Reading