Connect with us

News

Police neutralises 2 suspected kidnappers in Plateau

Published

on

The Police Command in Plateau has neutralised two suspected kidnappers and foiled a kidnap attempt in Bokkos Local Government Area of the State.
DSP Alfred Alabo, the Command’s Public Relations Officer (PPRO), disclosed this in a statement made available to newsmen in Jos on Tuesday.
Alabo said that the incident occurred on Monday morning.
 ”Yesterday, at about 5:30a.m., we received a distress call from a patriotic citizen that some hoodlums suspected to be kidnappers were operating in Fangha area of Daffo District, Bokkos LGA.
”Upon receipt of the tip-off, a team of Policemen and other security agencies swiftly rushed to the scene of the incident where they engaged the hoodlums in a gun duel
”In the process, two of the hoodlums were neutralised, while others escaped with bullet wounds.
”Exhibits recovered from the hoodlums include, one locally fabricated revolver gun loaded with four 7.62mm ammunition, two Phones, one dagger and a knife,” he said.
The police spokesman said that a manhunt had been launched to apprehend the fleeing gang members. (NAN)
ALSO READ:  Pro-APC Groups Mobilise Support for Matawalle’s 2027 Governorship Return

News

Explosions Rock Kyiv as City Endures Missile Assault

Published

on

Early Sunday, a missile barrage targeted the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, injuring at least three individuals and igniting multiple fires, according to the city’s mayor. This attack occurred just two days after a Russian strike in President Volodymyr Zelensky’s hometown resulted in the deaths of 18 people.

Mayor Vitali Klitschko reported that emergency services were dispatched to two districts within Kyiv, while the Ukrainian air force confirmed that missiles had penetrated the northern Chernihiv region.

“Explosions have been reported in the capital, and air defense systems are currently engaged,” Klitschko stated on Telegram. He urged residents to seek shelter, warning, “The missile assault on Kyiv persists.”

So far, three injuries have been recorded, with fires erupting in non-residential structures and damage inflicted on eight vehicles.

This onslaught coincides with U.S. President Donald Trump advocating for a partial ceasefire between Russia and Ukraine, over three years into Moscow’s extensive invasion, while also seeking to mend relations with the Kremlin.

Poland’s military announced that it, along with allied forces, had taken to the skies in response to Russian strikes near the western Ukrainian border, with ground-based air defense systems on high alert.

“Due to the heightened activity of long-range Russian aviation targeting locations within western Ukraine, Polish and allied aircraft operations in our airspace have commenced,” stated its operational command on X. “These measures are intended to ensure security in regions bordering the threatened zones.”

On Sunday, Russia’s defense ministry claimed that its air defense units had intercepted and destroyed 11 Ukrainian drones.

**Zelensky Critiques U.S. Response**

ALSO READ:  FG condemns attack on Christmas market in Germany

On Saturday, President Zelensky criticized the U.S. embassy for what he termed a “weak” statement that failed to hold Russia accountable for the recent deadly missile strike on his hometown of Kryvyi Rig.

The missile impacted a residential area near a children’s playground in central Ukraine, resulting in the tragic deaths of nine children, aged between three and 17. In a heartfelt social media post, Zelensky called out the U.S. embassy for its reluctance to name Russia as the aggressor.

“Regrettably, the American embassy’s response is surprisingly disappointing: such a powerful nation, yet such a feeble reaction,” Zelensky remarked. “They hesitate to even mention ‘Russian’ when discussing the missile that claimed the lives of children.”

Zelensky’s remarks followed a post by U.S. Ambassador Bridget Brink on X, expressing horror over the missile strike near a playground and restaurant. In his evening address, Zelensky emphasized, “It is both incorrect and perilous to remain silent about the fact that it is Russia perpetrating these crimes against children with ballistic missiles. This only emboldens the perpetrators in Moscow to continue their aggression and disregard diplomatic solutions.”

The president, who hails from Kryvyi Rig, where the pre-war population was approximately 600,000, conveyed his condolences and called for a three-day mourning period on April 7, 8, and 9.

“This is nothing short of a mass murder of civilians,” stated Oleksandr Vilkul, head of the Kryvyi Rig military administration.

Images shared by rescue services depicted several victims, with one body found near a playground swing. In response, Russia’s defense ministry claimed it executed a “precision strike” against a meeting of military commanders and Western instructors in the area. The Ukrainian army’s General Staff countered that Moscow was attempting to obscure its heinous actions and disseminating false information, labeling Russia’s actions as “war crimes.”

ALSO READ:  Davido releases pre-wedding photos

While Trump continues to encourage both sides to pursue a ceasefire, his administration has struggled to mediate a mutually acceptable agreement. Zelensky remarked that the missile attack underscored Russia’s lack of interest in halting its full-scale invasion.

The Ukrainian president reported “significant progress” following discussions with British and French military leaders in Kyiv on Friday. They explored plans for a “reassurance” force from London and Paris to be deployed to Ukraine if a resolution to the conflict is achieved.

Zelensky shared on social media that the meeting with British Chief of the Defence Staff Tony Radakin and French counterpart Thierry Burkhard yielded “the initial details on how the security contingent of partners can be deployed.” This initiative represents one of the latest efforts by European leaders to coordinate a response after Trump initiated direct negotiations with the Kremlin, sidelining them.

Continue Reading

News

Dan’agundi Grieves Over Alhaji Abbas Bayero Denise

Published

on

Hon Dr. Baffa Babba Dan’agundi the Director General of National Productivity Centre , NPC, has extended his heartfelt condolences to the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas, All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kano State, Abdullahi Abbas Sanusi and the resilient citizens of Kano State following the death of Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero (The revered Galadima of Kano).

In a statement released, Dr. Dan’Agundi expressed his profound sorrow, stating that,

“The passing of Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero is a significant loss not only to his family and the Kano Emirate but to the entirety of our beloved Kano State.

His contributions to our society, his commitment to the welfare of the people, and his remarkable leadership will always be remembered.”

Dr. Dan’Agundi acknowledged the pivotal role Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero played in promoting peace, unity, and development within the community, emphasizing that his legacy will continue to inspire future generations.

Commiserating with the family, he said,

“At this time of mourning, my thoughts and prayers are with the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero; Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas; and all the people of Kano State. May the Almighty grant them the strength to bear this great loss and grant eternal peace to the soul of our beloved Galadima.”

As the state remembers Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero’s invaluable service and dedication, Hon Dr. Dan’Agundi urges all citizens to unite in honouring his memory and continue his vision for a prosperous and harmonious Kano State.

, DG , National Productivity Centre Commiserates with Kano Emirate , People of Kano State .

ALSO READ:  Katsina LG polls: Police announce restriction of movements on Saturday

Hon Dr. Baffa Babba Dan’agundi the Director General of National Productivity Centre , NPC, has extended his heartfelt condolences to the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas, All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kano State, Abdullahi Abbas Sanusi and the resilient citizens of Kano State following the death of Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero (The revered Galadima of Kano).

In a statement released, Dr. Dan’Agundi expressed his profound sorrow, stating that,

“The passing of Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero is a significant loss not only to his family and the Kano Emirate but to the entirety of our beloved Kano State.

His contributions to our society, his commitment to the welfare of the people, and his remarkable leadership will always be remembered.”

Dr. Dan’Agundi acknowledged the pivotal role Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero played in promoting peace, unity, and development within the community, emphasizing that his legacy will continue to inspire future generations.

Commiserating with the family, he said,

“At this time of mourning, my thoughts and prayers are with the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero; Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas; and all the people of Kano State. May the Almighty grant them the strength to bear this great loss and grant eternal peace to the soul of our beloved Galadima.”

As the state remembers Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero’s invaluable service and dedication, Hon Dr. Dan’Agundi urges all citizens to unite in honouring his memory and continue his vision for a prosperous and harmonious Kano State.

Continue Reading

News

Akwa-Ibom: Eno empowers 500 petty traders with N50m grant

Published

on

Akwa-Ibom State Governor, Umo Eno, on Saturday, provided N50 million grant for 500 petty traders in Eket in the effort to assist them make a difference in their businesses.

Eno, at inaugurated a 5000-capacity Conference Hall in Eket Local Government Area of the state, explained that the beneficiaries were petty traders under the Eket ARISE Empowerment Initiative.

The governor, who was represented by Mr Frank Archibong, Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, further explained that each of the 500 petty traders would receive the sum of N100,000.
According to him, the money will make a lot of difference for the petty traders in the area.

“This is Arise Agenda at work in the local government; this government is desirous of seeing more of this project in the landscape of every local government areas in Akwa Ibom.

‘’The project reflects collective vision for progress and determination to complement the transformative ARISE AGENDA, championed by the administration,’’ he said.

Eno urged the council to ensure that monitoring mechanism was put in place to monitor how successful the beneficiaries were able put the grant to use.

He, however, commended the council for achieving the conference hall project, describing it as landmark since it would serve as a place for meetings.

Also speaking, Mr Akaniyene Tommey, the Eket Local Government Chairman, said that the event was not merely infrastructure and economic empowerment celebration but a tangible evidence of unwavering commitment to people’s growth and prosperity.

Tommey said that the ARISE AGENDA of Gov. Eno led-administration was a well-crafted roadmap designed to uplift the socio-economic standards of Akwa Ibom.

ALSO READ:  Davido releases pre-wedding photos

He said the facility was designed to serve as a premier hub for major events, conferences, and social gatherings.

“It will be a key driver of our Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) and will also create numerous employment opportunities in the area,” Tommey said.

The Chairman explained that the N50 million grant to 500 entrepreneurs was a clear demonstration of the resolve to support Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) which are the backbone of the economy.

He said the proposed Ultramodern Eket legislative complex would mark another stride in infrastructural development journey when completed.

One of the beneficiaries, Mrs Deborah Willie, commended the Chairman for finding her worthy to benefit from the empowerment grants.

She promised to use the money judiciously in order to grow her petty trading business in the area.

The highlight of the event was the foundation stone laying ceremony of the Ultramodern Eket legislative complex. (NAN)

Continue Reading