Connect with us

News

End strike, return to negotiating table – FG urges Labour

Published

on

The Federal Government has appealed to the NLC and  TUC  to call off the ongoing strike and return to negotiation table to arrive at befitting minimum wage for workers.

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Alhaji Mohammed Idris, made the appeal at a news conference on Monday in Abuja.
The briefing was addressed by Idris in company of the Minister of State for Labour, Mrs Nkiruka  Onyejiocha and the Special Assistant to President Bola Tinubu on Information and Strategy, Mr Bayo Onanuga.
According to Idris, the Tripartite-Committee comprised of the governments, organised labour and the private sector but it was only the organised labour that opted out to embark on strike.
He explained that, the country belongs to all Nigerians, and that “power grid does not know political party, tribe or religion, adding that when it is shut down, it affects all Nigerians” .
“We are making a heartfelt and deeply considered appeal to the labour unions to continue along the path of negotiations with the federal and state governments, under the auspices of the tripartite committee.
“As government, we are desirous of a peaceful outcome, and we will do everything to make this happen.
“Yesterday, the leadership of the National Assembly met with the Unions. Today, we have offered another invitation to the unions, to meet with us and continue our discussions.
“We will continue to engage, and make ourselves very available in the context of these negotiations on behalf of the Nigerian people
“Let me make it clear, that we are not opponents on this negotiating table. We are united by the fact that we want the best for Nigeria and for all 200 million citizens of the country,” Idris said.
He further explained that the tripartite committee has a responsibility to strike a measured and realistic balance, in the effort to arrive at a new minimum wage for Nigerians.
According to him, the minimum wage is not only for public sector workers alone, stressing that It will be binding on the private sector as well.
The Minister added that this reality must be factored into the negotiations.
“As I have explained earlier, labour’s current proposal of N494,000 is an increase of 1,547 per cent on the existing wage, and translates into an annual wage bill of N9.5 trillion Naira for the federal government alone.
“This is apart from its cost implications for sub-national governments and private sector employees. Such a wage bill would cripple the Nigerian economy, by leading to massive job losses, especially in the private sector.
“The National Consumer Credit Scheme and the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) are additional significant demonstrations of a determination to bring relief to the people of Nigeria.
“We want the labour unions to understand that the relief that Nigerians are expecting, and that they fully deserve, will not come only in the form of increased wages.
“It will also come as efforts to reduce the cost of living, and to ensure that more money stays in the pockets of Nigerians.
“The President is firmly committed to doing what is right, reasonable and sustainable regarding these minimum wage negotiations.
“We call on the labour unions to reciprocate this gesture in the interest of the nation,” Idris said. (NAN
ALSO READ:  Sallah: Sen. Natasha distributes rams to constituents

News

Taraba Govt, NAPTIP Rescue 8 Trafficked Children, Arrest Suspects

Published

on

By Nahum Sule, Jalingo

The Taraba State Government, in partnership with the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), has successfully intercepted eight trafficked children who were en route to the South East and Cameroon.

In a statement to journalists in Jalingo, the capital of Taraba State, Mrs. Mary Sinjen, the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Child Development, revealed that the children had been deceived and transported to various southeastern states in Nigeria.

According to her, the children were trafficked to locations such as Aba, Onitsha, and Imo State under the false pretence that they were orphans.

The interception took place in Gembu, the headquarters of the Sardauna Local Government Area, where it was reported that the traffickers were seeking additional children to abduct.

Mrs. Sinjen affirmed, “Thanks to the prompt response from the Ministry and NAPTIP, eight of the children have been safely returned to Taraba State.

“The primary suspect, Mrs. Patience, along with several of her accomplices, has been apprehended and is currently in custody as legal proceedings commence.

“Search and rescue operations for other trafficked children are ongoing.”

She further emphasised that the state government will not tolerate any unscrupulous individuals who exploit children’s rights for illicit gain.

“This administration is wholly committed to ensuring justice, rehabilitating victims, and enhancing inter-agency collaboration to combat child trafficking,” she stated.

“We urge all residents to be vigilant and report any suspicious activities, as the welfare and protection of our children is a collective responsibility.”

In the meantime, authorities in Taraba have reiterated the importance of community vigilance and reporting any suspicious activities, stressing that safeguarding children requires a unified effort.

ALSO READ:  Third Mainland Bridge Returns To Full Operation
Continue Reading

National

CDS INTRODUCES ATTACK DRONES AND LOCALLY MADE BOMBS IN ABUJA

Published

on

General Christopher Musa, the Chief of Defence Staff, has assured that all security challenges facing the nation will be effectively addressed by the year’s end.

This statement was made during the launch of attack drones and the demonstration of locally produced bombs, developed by a homegrown technology firm.

The event was attended by security specialists and senior government officials, as General Musa showcased the indigenous Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) to the audience.

Accompanied by Ajao Adewale, the Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, and Caleb Mutfwang, the Governor of Plateau State, General Musa emphasized the ongoing bureaucratic obstacles in acquiring military equipment from abroad.

Governor Mutfwang stressed the urgency for decisive measures against insecurity, calling on leaders to prevent any entity within the nation from possessing military capabilities.

The operational features of the UAVs were also demonstrated, with General Musa expressing satisfaction with this advancement, labeling it a pivotal step in combating insecurity in the country.

ALSO READ:  Appeal Court upholds Ododo’s election as governor of Kogi
Continue Reading

News

Lift wanted tag on socialite, Aisha Achimugu – Coalition urges EFCC

Published

on

A coalition of youth organisations has urged the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to reconsider its wanted tag on socialite, Dr Aisha Sulaiman Achimugu, OFR.

The organisations, Niger Delta Youth Council for Good Governance and Middle Belt Youth Stakeholders’ Initiative said this in a joint press statement they issued on Thursday in Abuja.

According to them, the declaration of Achimugu wanted by the anti-corruption agency came to them as a rude shock.

The joint statement was signed by Comrade Emma Niboro and Ali Ameh for Niger Delta Youth Council for Good Governance and Middle Belt Youth Stakeholders’ Initiative, respectively.

They described Achimugu as a dedicated friend of the youths, who had always shown commitment to the welfare and care of the downtrodden.

According to the youth coalition, “we know the Chairman of the EFCC, Mr. Ola Olukoyede, as a man who came with utmost zeal to sanitize the agency. He has already demonstrated this and we are proud of his achievements so far.

“However, we urge him to resist pressure from politicians, which is a plague that has dwarfed EFCC for several years of its existence.

“The commission had hitherto remained a tool for politicians to undue their perceived political foes and this has always rubbed off on the credibility of the agency.

“The case of Achumugu doesn’t appear to be different in any way, as the haste with which she was declared wanted showed there is a hand of Esau and voice of Jacob.

“Our appeal is that the commission should withdraw the wanted tag on her and give her ample time to report to the commission, as she has never been indicted of any offence whether in Nigeria or outside the country.”

ALSO READ:  I’ll Will 2027 Presidential Poll - Kwankwaso

While noting that Achimugu is a global figure, they added that they can always vouch for her integrity.

“We know her, she has always been of immense help to the youths and other members of the society.

“Her closeness to certain politicians should not be used as a tool to persecute or harass her,” the youths further stated.

Continue Reading