Connect with us

National

Tinubu signs Bill returning old National Anthem into Law

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has signed the National Anthem Bill, 2024 reverting to the old national anthem of “Nigeria We Hail thee”.

President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio announced this on Wednesday, during a joint session of the National Assembly to mark 25 years of uninterrupted democracy.

The joint session sang the new national anthem before the arrival of President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima among other top government functionaries.

NAN reports that the Senate and the House of Representatives had previously passed the legislation to swap the national anthem from “Arise, O Compatriots” to “Nigeria, We Hail Thee” at separate sittings.

Following the signing of the bill by the President to reintroduce the old national anthem, the joint sitting jettisoned what has been in existence since 1978, to adopt the former (and newly signed) national anthem ‘Nigeria, we hail thee’.

The old anthem, “Nigeria, we hail thee”, composed when Nigeria gained independence on October 1, 1960, has replaced the “Arise, O Compatriots” anthem. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  Mining Marshals shut down illegal Nasarawa site
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

JUST IN: IGP Withdraws Invitation to Sanusi

Published

on

The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, has withdrawn the invitation extended to the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi.

The police chief, however, directed the Kano State command of the force to obtain the monarch’s statement in the State regarding the incident.

Egbetokun, who gave the directive through the spokesman of the police, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, said the withdrawal became imperative following the intervention of some stakeholders in the country.

The top cop also said his resolve was in line with the police’s commitment to ensuring that policing actions are not politicized or misinterpreted.

Details shortly…

ALSO READ:  Tunji Ojo: A Leading Force for Good Governance in Africa, Says AASU Presidency
Continue Reading

National

Unity and Accurate Reporting Essential to End Plateau Violence, Says NSA

Published

on

Nuhu Ribadu, the National Security Adviser (NSA), has called on communities in Plateau to take proactive steps towards restoring peace, asserting that it is time to collectively declare an end to the ongoing violence that has plagued the state for many years.

During a condolence visit to Jos on Sunday, representing President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Ribadu expressed the president’s profound sorrow regarding the recent attacks in Bokkos Local Government Area, which resulted in numerous fatalities and the displacement of families.

“On behalf of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, I am here to convey his heartfelt condolences to the people of Plateau in light of the recent crisis we have experienced,” he stated.

While acknowledging the prompt actions taken by security forces, the NSA emphasized that achieving lasting peace requires more than just military intervention. He urged residents, who have coexisted for generations, to engage in dialogue, foster unity, and seek reconciliation.

Ribadu noted that while the frequency of attacks has diminished compared to previous years, unresolved tensions still create opportunities for criminal activities.

“Our security forces are performing admirably. However, our communities have the potential to do even better. It is time to declare that enough is enough. When individuals within the same community fail to resolve their issues peacefully, criminals exploit the situation, leading to crises that escalate rapidly,” he cautioned.

He assured that both federal and state governments are collaborating closely to stabilize the region and praised Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang for the visible improvements in the area’s security landscape.

ALSO READ:  Man Seeks Justice In Court For Compensation After Pre-Wedding Betrayal

“The federal government is committed, and the state government is actively engaged. The governor’s efforts have been commendable, contributing to the relative improvements we are witnessing,” he remarked.

Discussing the challenge of misinformation, Ribadu urged the media to refrain from disseminating unverified or exaggerated casualty figures, warning that such reports could exacerbate already volatile situations.

“While we have mourned many losses, the figures circulating may not accurately reflect the reality. Nonetheless, every life lost is significant. We urge the media to ensure the accuracy of their reports. Truthful reporting is crucial for our collective healing and for maintaining peace and security,” he asserted.

He underscored that sustainable development hinges on peace, describing it as the cornerstone of progress. Despite Plateau experiencing recurring violence for over two decades, Ribadu reaffirmed the government’s commitment to ending the cycle of bloodshed.

“Without peace, nothing functions—there can be no progress, growth, development, education, or health. The president has made it clear: enough is enough. This cycle must end. We are committed to amplifying our efforts to achieve greater improvements,” he concluded.

Continue Reading

National

Tinubu vows severe punishment for Plateau attackers, condoles victims family

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has promised that the gunmen who killed many people in communities in Plateau State will be apprehended and face severe punishment under the law.

The President extended his condolences to the families of the victims in Ruwi, Hurti, and Tadai communities in Bokkos Local Government and those from Manguna and Dafo villages, where the gunmen launched brutal attacks, resulting in the loss of lives and the destruction of properties.

President Tinubu in a statement by his spokesman, Bayo Onanuga, also commiserated with the Government of Plateau State and Governor Caleb Mutfwang.

He urged the affected communities to cooperate with the authorities and security agencies by volunteering information to catch the perpetrators and secure their communities.

He assured Governor Mutfwang of his support in ending this spate of wanton bloodletting on the Plateau.

He directed the National Emergency Management Agency to work with state authorities to provide necessary support to the victims and bring immediate relief to the affected communities and those wounded during the attacks. NEMA will work closely with the state to ensure that affected communities rebuild and recover.

The President stated: “The report of another violent attack in communities in Plateau State by mindless gunmen saddens me. The latest attacks on defenceless citizens are unacceptable. I have directed security agencies to hunt down the attackers, and they will face severe punishment when apprehended. These intermittent attacks should have no place in our country at a time when we are working so hard to restore peace and order in all parts of our country. This unfortunate incident will never dampen and slow us down in our duty to protect every Nigerian citizen. Instead, we will work harder to exterminate forces of evil wherever they are lurking in our country.

ALSO READ:  Alia vows to fish out perpetrators of attack on Benue community

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims’ families and all those affected by this senseless violence.  No community should have to endure such tragedy. We all must unite to foster peace and stability. I urge all citizens—regardless of ethnic, religious, or political affiliations—to uphold the shared humanity that binds us all, embrace peace and reject retaliation.”

Continue Reading