Connect with us

Business

May Day: We’ll not delay action on new minimum wage – Makinde

Published

on

IBADAN— Gov. Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has assured workers that his administration will not delay in implementing the new minimum wage.

Makinde gave the assurance on Wednesday in his address at the 2024 May Day celebrations, held at Lekan Salami Sports Complex, Ibadan.

The governor, who was represented by his deputy, Mr Bayo Lawal, said notwithstanding new minimum wage, his government to fail in its promise of ensuring payment of salaries and pensions on or before 25th of every month.

He said that his administration had been responsive to the welfare of workers, adding that it had also put people at the heart of its policies and programmes.

Acknowledging the importance of labour in the policies, programmes and projects aimed at ensuring the development of the state, Makinde commended the workers for ensuring an atmosphere devoid of incessant industrial actions.

He noted that the cooperation between his government and labour had contributed immensely to the existing development and peaceful atmosphere in the state.

He urged the workers to reciprocate his administration’s good gesture by being more dedicated and committed.

The governor also enjoined them to work ‘tirelessly and vigorously’ for their pay.(NAN)

ALSO READ:  Report: Google Considers Charging For Premium Features On AI-Powered Search Engine
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Labour Union Backs Tinubu’s Economic Reforms

Published

on

By Abubakar Yunusa

The Association of Labour Veteran and Trade Union Assembly has voiced its support for President Bola Tinubu’s economic reforms, claiming that food prices have significantly decreased across the country.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the union’s interim president, Comrade Isa Tijjani, acknowledged the initial economic hardship faced by Nigerians at the beginning of Tinubu’s administration but insisted that government efforts had led to tangible improvements.

“At the start of this administration, the cost of food soared, and the nation was filled with cries of hunger and complaints. People were urged to be patient as the government worked towards solutions,” Tijjani said.

“Now, the President and his aides have worked tirelessly, and prices have come down drastically. However, I have yet to hear words of appreciation for their efforts. Recognising their achievements will encourage them to do even more for the nation.”

Tijjani, a former national vice-president of the Nigeria Labour Congress, urged Nigerians to differentiate between constructive criticism and unwarranted opposition.

He emphasised that engaging with the government in a respectful and solution-oriented manner would yield better results than resorting to hostility.

“The President of this country today is Alhaji Bola Ahmed Tinubu. Advising him in a humble and respectful manner will be more productive than adopting a confrontational stance. Constructive engagement achieves more than threats and name-calling,” he added.

Tijjani also condemned the recent act of violence in Edo State, describing it as a cowardly attempt to incite division and instability in Nigeria.

He welcomed the swift response of both the President and the Governor of Edo State in addressing the situation and called for the perpetrators to be brought to justice.

ALSO READ:  FCCPC Summons Chinese Supermarket Owner Over Discrimination Against Nigerians

The labour leader further urged union members to participate in the upcoming General Executive Council meeting, where the union’s position on national issues will be formalised and disseminated at all levels of governance, from the state to the local and ward levels.

The Tinubu administration has faced criticism over the country’s economic challenges, including inflation and currency depreciation. However, government officials have maintained that their policies will yield long-term benefits for Nigeria’s economy.

Continue Reading

Business

Sterling Bank Stops Transfer Fees On Online Transactions

Published

on

Sterling Bank has announced the removal of transfer fees on all local online transactions.

The move was confirmed by the bank on Tuesday in a press release.

The development makes it the first major Nigerian bank to eliminate the contentious charges for digital banking.

The statement noted that the bank reaffirmed its commitment to customer-centric banking, declaring that the zero-transfer-fee policy is real and effective immediately.

The initiative is expected to bring significant relief to individuals and small business owners who conduct frequent transactions.

The bank’s Growth Executive in charge of Consumer and Business Banking, Obinna Ukachukwu, described the decision as a values-driven approach aimed at ensuring fair and inclusive banking.

“We believe access to your own money shouldn’t come with a penalty.

“This is more than a financial decision—it’s about redefining banking to put customers first,” he stated.

Under the new policy, Sterling customers will not be charged for local transfers conducted via the bank’s mobile app.

Ukachukwu emphasised that the bank’s decision is about more than just competitive strategy.

He said, “We’re not yet the biggest bank in Nigeria, but we’ve been the boldest.

Sterling fearlessly believes in the future of Nigeria, and this is us backing Nigerians with more than words.

ALSO READ:  FCCPC Summons Chinese Supermarket Owner Over Discrimination Against Nigerians
Continue Reading

Business

CBN Debunks Introducing N5,000, N10,000 Banknotes

Published

on

The Central Bank of Nigeria dismissed a report claiming it had introduced N5,000 and N10,000 banknotes to facilitate cash transactions as false.

In a statement posted on its official X handle on Wednesday, the apex bank described the report as fake and urged Nigerians to disregard it.

“The content is not from the Central Bank of Nigeria. Kindly note that the official website of the CBN is cbn.gov.ng,” the statement read.

A statement from the CBN’s communications department further clarified, “The only official sources for releasing statements to the media are our website or statements from our department. There is also no Deputy Governor by such name. We are investigating the source of this fake content.”

The report quoted one Deputy CBN Governor, Ibrahim Tahir Jr., the move is aimed at reducing cash-handling costs and providing Nigerians with more efficient means of conducting large transactions.

“The introduction of these new high-value denominations aligns with global best practices and will enhance economic activities while reducing the stress associated with carrying large amounts of cash,” the Governor stated. The CBN said there is no such name in its leadership.

“The new N5,000 note will feature the portrait of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, while the N10,000 note will showcase Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, both in recognition of their contributions to Nigeria’s development.

“Additionally, the new notes will incorporate enhanced security features, including color-changing ink, holograms, and anti-counterfeiting technology, making them impossible to replicate,” the fake report stated.

The fake report also said the nationwide rollout would begin on May 1, 2025, with commercial banks instructed to start issuing the new notes via ATMs and over-the-counter transactions.

ALSO READ:  Breaking: Tinubu Secures Landmark Deal With UAE Across sectors; Visa Ban On Nigerians Lifted
Continue Reading