Connect with us

News

Hannatu Affirms Ability to Serve as Minister While Being a Corps Member, Citing Absence of Legal Restriction

Published

on

The Minister of Arts, Culture and Creative Economy Hannatu Musawa believes her appointment does not violate the country’s law contrary to claims in several quarters.

Hannatu was sworn in minister last Monday with many Nigerians faulting her appointment since she is a member of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), a mandatory one-year programme for Nigerian graduates not more than 30 years.

But in a personal statement issued on Sunday, she argued that her appointment is not a contravention of the country’s laws.

“I would like to state clearly that contrary to wrong insinuations and false assumptions in a section of the mainstream media and social media where false accusations have been made, there is no breach of any law or constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended regarding my current position as a Minister and status as serving corps member,” she maintained.

“It must be said that there is no law of Nigeria or any part of our Constitution and NYSC Act that states that a serving corps member can not be appointed by the President of Nigeria or any other appointing authority into political positions. Equally, no part of our existing laws and the NYSC Act says that a corps member must finish service before he/she can be appointed into political office. There are no legal or constitutional limitations whatsoever. I have not broken any law of Nigeria.

“In fact, in a decided case before a Federal High Court Abuja in 2021, Justice Taiwo Taiwo ruled that the Constitution of Nigeria, which is the grundnorm, does not require anyone to even present a first-degree certificate or any other certificate, including the NYSC certificate to be appointed a Minister in Nigeria.”

ALSO READ:  KASU Prof, MD Dogara Set To Launch a Book On The Fundamentals Of Geoscience

While reiterating her desire to serve the country, she said her participation in the NYSC scheme further buttresses that.

“I will continue to serve my country using every opportunity and platform,” the minister added. “My current NYSC status which will end in another 4 months will not in any way impede the discharge of my duties as Minister of Art, Culture, and Creative Economy, which, on its own, is a higher call to national service.”

READ HER FULL STATEMENT BELOW:

The last couple of days have witnessed a barrage of media attacks and misinformation about me following my appointment and swearing-in as the Minister of Art, Culture, and Creative Economy by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

I want to, again, thank President Tinubu for finding me worthy and for giving me the opportunity to serve the country I love as one of his Ministers.

It is true I am currently on the NYSC national service which I began 8 months ago as a matter of duty and devotion to my country, having been unable to complete the scheme since I was first mobilised in 2001. I started the mandatory national service as a Corp member deployed to Akwa-Ibom State (pls confirm state) in 2001 upon the completion of my university education. I could not complete the service the same year after my redeployment to Kaduna State due to family obligations. Despite this, it has been my personal resolve and commitment that I will always fulfill this national duty whenever I am opportune to do so.

I applied to NYSC to be mobilised again for national service last year. NYSC graciously mobilised and deployed me to serve in Abuja where I have been serving for the last 8 months before my current appointment as a Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

ALSO READ:  Nigerian Political Parties No Longer Have Ideologies -Varsity Don

I would like to state clearly that contrary to wrong insinuations and false assumptions in a section of the mainstream media and social media where false accusations have been made, there is no breach of any law or constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended regarding my current position as a Minister and status as serving corps member.

It must be said that there is no law of Nigeria or any part of our constitution and NYSC Act that states that a serving corps member can not be appointed by the President of Nigeria or any other appointing authority into political positions. Equally, no part of our existing laws and the NYSC Act says that a corp member must finish service before he/she can be appointed into political office. There are no legal or constitutional limitations whatsoever. I have not broken any law of Nigeria.

In fact, in a decided case before a Federal High Court Abuja in 2021, Justice Taiwo Taiwo ruled that the Constitution of Nigeria, which is the grundnorm, does not require anyone to even present a first-degree certificate or any other certificate, including the NYSC certificate to be appointed a Minister in Nigeria.

I decided to participate in the current NYSC programme in fulfillment of my own personal commitment and out of a sense of duty which I am proud of.

I will continue to serve my country using every opportunity and platform. My current NYSC status which will end in another 4 months will not in any way impede the discharge of my duties as Minister of Art, Culture, and Creative Economy, which, on its own, is a higher call to national service.

ALSO READ:  Imo 2023: NNPP Ben Odunzeh Appoints Iroegbu Director General Of New Imo Campaign Organization

I use this medium to publicly restate my loyalty and rededicate myself to the service of Nigeria. I will continue to serve faithfully and with all my energy to deliver on the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Tinubu for a better, greater, and more prosperous Nigeria.

Hannatu Musawa
Minister of Art, Culture & Creative Economy

News

NNPC Appointment: Ojulari Is A Northerner – Olayinka

Published

on

Lere Olayinka, the Senior Special Assistant on New Media and Public Communications to Nyesom Wike, the former Governor of Rivers State and current Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), has responded to the recent appointment of Bashir Ojulari as the new Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd.).

Olayinka took to X (formerly Twitter) to address discussions surrounding this leadership transition. His post aimed to clarify that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu did not dismiss Mele Kyari, a northerner, to replace him with a southerner, as some speculated. Instead, Olayinka pointed out that Ojulari, like Kyari, hails from the northern region of Nigeria.

According to Olayinka’s post on his official X account, he emphasised that Bashir Ojulari is from Kwara State, located in North Central Nigeria. Additionally, the new Board Chairman, Ahmadu Musa Kida, originates from Borno State in the North East.

His post stated: “Bashir Ojulari, the new NNPCL CEO, is a northerner from Kwara State, North Central Nigeria. The new Board Chairman, Ahmadu Musa Kida, is also a northerner, from Borno State, North East Nigeria.”

Olayinka’s statement came in response to narratives suggesting that the appointment was politically motivated to favour one region over another.

ALSO READ:  Imo 2023: NNPP Ben Odunzeh Appoints Iroegbu Director General Of New Imo Campaign Organization
Continue Reading

News

Middle Belt Forum Condemns Uromi killings, Warns Against Retaliatory Attacks

Published

on

By Israel Bulus, Kaduna

The Middle Belt Forum (MBF) has strongly condemned the extrajudicial killing of 16 travelers in Uromi, Edo State, while warning against retaliatory violence targeting Southerners in Northern Nigeria.

In a press statement released on Tuesday, MBF Spokesman Luka Binniyat denounced inflammatory threats from individuals claiming to represent Northern interests in response to the killings.

Recalled that the victims, were allegedly armed hunters, traveling from Port Harcourt to Kano when they were attacked by a mob that accused them of being kidnappers.

“The MBF strongly condemns the unlawful killing of any Nigerian citizen, including those who lost their lives in Uromi,” the statement read. “However, we categorically reject any attempt to use this tragic incident as a pretext to unleash violence against Southerners residing in Northern Nigeria.”

The forum assured that the Middle Belt would not become a battleground for reprisals, emphasizing that it remains a safe haven for all law-abiding Nigerians. It urged community leaders and youths to remain vigilant and prevent any attempts to instigate violence, calling for anyone with such intentions to be handed over to authorities.

The MBF also reaffirmed its commitment to justice for all victims of violence across Nigeria. The statement highlighted the ongoing security challenges facing Middle Belt communities, citing persistent attacks by armed herdsmen with little government intervention.

” We hope that the swift response to the Uromi killings would serve as a precedent for broader action against criminal elements terrorizing the region.

“Thousands of our people remain in captivity, and vast portions of our land are still under the control of violent outlaws—primarily Fulani militants,” the statement noted.

ALSO READ:  208 Nigerian Army officers write Lt. to Capt. promotion examination

“Justice must be served across the board.”

The MBF concluded by reiterating its support for the ongoing investigation into the Uromi incident and calling for a fair and decisive crackdown on all forms of criminality across the country.

Continue Reading

News

Sokoto Lawmakers Rates Gov. Aliyu High On Project Without Loan

Published

on

BY ANKELI EMMANUEL, Sokoto

The Deputy Speaker, Sokoto State House of Assembly, Kabir Ibrahim kware, has commended governor Ahmed Aliyu for executing numerous developmental projects without taking loan from any financial institution.

Ibrahim Kware whp gave the commendation when he led other members of the State Assembly on Sallah homage to governor Aliyu, added that, the governor is very prudent in managing resources to achieve results.

“There was never a time you approached us with a request for permission to borrow money from any financial institutions whether at home or abroad,”he affirmed.

This , according to him, is worthy of commendation considering the myriad people- oriented projects the governor is executing across the state.

Speaking on behalf of the State’s Judiciary, Sokoto State Chief Judge, Justice Muhammad Sa’idu Sifawa, commended the governor for the construction of additional Court rooms at the State High Court.

Justice Sifawa also expressed delight over the way and manner the governor responds to issues affecting the Judiciary, which he said, is a clear testimony of the good working relationship existing between the three arms of government in the state.

Responding to the commendations, governor Ahmed Aliyu appealed for more synergy among the three tiers of government in the overall development of the state.

A statement by Abubakar Bawa, the Press Secretary to governor Alhmed Aliyu reaffirmed his principal’s unwavering commitment of the executive arm to providing the direly needed dividends of democracy to the people of the state,in line with his campaign promises.

The governor also urged lawmakers to present all the needs of their constituencies for prompt and diligent implementation.

ALSO READ:  KASU Prof, MD Dogara Set To Launch a Book On The Fundamentals Of Geoscience

“”I want to assure you that my doors are always open for you at any given time, to listen to the demands of your people.”

He reminded them on the need to put politics aside and work together with the executive arm for the progress and even development of the people they represent.

Turning to the members of the State Judiciary, the governor appealed to Judges and Khadis to ensure the quick dispensation of justice, so as to decongest the correctional centres.

“It is worrisome to see how inmates are languishing in correctional centres for minor offences in the name of awaiting trial.

“We recently appointed seven additional Judges and 7 Khadis, which is the first in the history of Sokoto State.

“The idea is to enhance the manpower in our Judiciary so as to speed up the dispensation of justice,” he added.

The governor further assured the members of the Judiciary of his administration’s readiness to ensure their welfare at all times.

Continue Reading