• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Court Orders Semen Donor To Stop After Fathering Over 550 Children

Elanza by Elanza
April 29, 2023
in News
0
Court Orders Semen Donor To Stop After Fathering Over 550 Children
0
SHARES
19
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

Dutch judges on Friday ordered a man suspected of fathering more than 550 children through sperm donations to stop donating, in the latest fertility scandal to shock the Netherlands.

The man, identified in Dutch media only as “Jonathan M.”, 41, was dragged to court by a foundation protecting the rights of donor children and the mother of one of the children allegedly fathered from his sperm.

RelatedPosts

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Dutch clinical guidelines say a donor should not father more than 25 children in 12 families, but judges said the man had helped produce between 550 and 600 children since he started as a sperm donor in 2007.

The court therefore “prohibits the defendant from donating his semen to new prospective parents after the issuing of this judgement”, judge Thera Hesselink said.

Jonathan M. may also not contact any prospective parents “with the wish that he was willing to donate semen… advertise his services to prospective parents or join any organisation that establishes contact between prospective parents”, Hesselink said in a written judgement.

Should he continue with his donations, he would face a 100,000-euro ($110,000) fine for every transgression, as well as additional fines, the judge ordered.

The mother of one of the children in the court case, identified only as “Eva”, said she was grateful that the court stopped the man from “mass donations that’s spread like wildfire to other countries”.

ALSO READ:  AYPA Urges Northern Youth to Shun Instigated Protests by Politicians

“I’m asking the donor to respect our interests and to accept the verdict, because our children deserve to be left alone,” she said in a statement.

‘Deliberately misinformed’

More than 100 of Jonathan M.’s children were born in Dutch clinics and others privately, but he also donated semen to a Danish clinic named as Cryos in court papers, which then dispatched his seed to private addresses in various countries, the judge added.

“The donor deliberately misinformed prospective parents about the number of children he had already fathered in the past,” the Hague District Court said in a separate statement.

“All these parents are now confronted with the fact that the children in their family are part of a huge kinship network, with hundreds of half-siblings, which they did not choose,” it said.

The court considered it “sufficiently plausible” that this has or could have negative psychosocial consequences for the children.

This included psychological problems around identity and fears of incest.

“The point is that this kinship network with hundreds of half-brothers and half-sisters is much too large,” court spokesman Gert-Mark Smelt told AFP.

“The interests of the children weigh too heavily and that is why it is forbidden for the gentleman to give further semen,” he said.

“It is the first time that a judge has ruled on such a case and it is encouraging to see this behaviour immediately dealt with,” added Mark de Hek, one of the lawyers in the case.

The case is the latest in a series of fertility scandals to hit the Netherlands.

ALSO READ:  Trump wants 50% U.S. ownership of TikTok

In 2020 a deceased gynaecologist was accused of fathering at least 17 children with women thinking they were receiving sperm from anonymous donors.

The year before, it emerged that a Rotterdam doctor fathered at least 49 children while inseminating women seeking treatment.

AFP

Previous Post

Sudan Crisis: 7,000 People Including Nigerians Stranded At Egyptian Border – FG

Next Post

2023 Elections’ Outcome Shows National Gender Policy Needs Review, Says Soludo’s Wife

Elanza

Elanza

Related Posts

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled a hearing for February 24 concerning a suit aimed at compelling the...

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The trial of former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Adoza Bello, continued on Wednesday, February 11, 2026, before Justice Maryanne...

Next Post
2023 Elections’ Outcome Shows National Gender Policy Needs Review, Says Soludo’s Wife

2023 Elections’ Outcome Shows National Gender Policy Needs Review, Says Soludo’s Wife

Obaseki Empowering Youths, Creating Enabling Environment To Support Innovation, Others — Edojobs MD

Obaseki Mourns Passing of CEO of Iyare Motors, Abel Omoruyi

Recommended

INEC & Parties Forge Critical 2027 Reforms Path as FCT Elections Loom

INEC Appointment: Christian Group Hammers Shari’a Council, Warns Against Provocative Statements

5 days ago
Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

5 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (256)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,071)
  • News (9,644)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform