Connect with us

Education

Jamb Fixes New Date For 2023 Utme

Published

on

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has set a new start date for the 2023 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations. (UTME).
The board made the announcement in Abuja on Sunday in a statement signed by its Head of Public Affairs and Protocol, Dr Fabian Benjamin.

Benjamin said that the UTME, which was previously planned to begin on April 29, will now begin on April 25, 2023.

He also said that the board’s rescheduled mock-UTME will take place on April 18, 2023.

“It should be noted that JAMB previously held its 2023 Mock-UTME on Thursday, March 30 in 725 locations across the country.”

“However, the exercise encountered some technical difficulties in some centers, denying some candidates the opportunity to sit for the examination.”

“The board’s mock examination was designed to test its own and its partners’ readiness for the UTME, as well as to give prospective candidates hands-on experience with the CBT test environment.”

“As a result, the mock examination has been rescheduled to take place on Tuesday, April 18, in order to give those candidates who were unable to sit for the examination due to no fault of their own the opportunity to take the examination,” he stated.

Candidates who were present and vetted for the test but were unable to sit for it were rescheduled to repeat the mock examination on April 18.

As a consequence, Benjamin said that the results of the applicants who passed the mock test on March 30 had been disclosed.

He also said that the board has moved the date of its 2023 UTME, which was previously slated for Saturday, April 29, to Tuesday, April 25.

ALSO READ:  KASU ASUU to begin indefinite strike over welfare issues

He said that the change in the UTME date was made to meet certain other vital and essential national duties.

“The board hopes that by doing so, no citizen will be denied the opportunity to exercise their civic responsibilities.”

” It should be noted that the board does not have the option of moving its test ahead since other public exams are scheduled to begin in early May 2023.

“Yet another factor is the need to accommodate those institutions with a stable academic calendar so that they can resume as planned,” he said.

He said that the board will continue to collaborate with appropriate government organisations to ensure that its candidates received the best possible care.

He said that the board sought everyone’s understanding as it carried out its vital task

Education

INEC: Petition for Natasha’s recall yet to meet constitutional requirement

Published

on

Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said the petition to recall Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan from the Senate has yet to meet constitutional requirement.

The commission stated this in a short notice posted on its X platform.

“The petition for the recall of the Senator representing the Kogi Central Senatorial District has not met the requirement of Section 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended),” the notice said.

The commission, however, said that details of why the petition had not met the constitutional requirement would be made available shortly.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that a group of registered voters from Akpoti-Uduaghan’s senatorial district had, on March 24, submitted a petition to INEC, urging it to commence her recall process from the senate.

The constituents, in the letter signed by the Lead Petitioner, Salihu Habib, and submitted at INEC headquarters, said they no longer had confidence in Akpoti-Uduaghan as their senator and representative in the National Assembly.

Meanwhile, INEC had, on March 25, confirmed the receipt of the petition, accompanied by six bags of documents said to be signatures collected from more than half of the 474,554 registered voters from the senatorial district.

The commission also said that it had notified the suspended senator about the receipt of the petition to recall her from the national assembly. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  Group to purchase JAMB forms for 300 indigent students in Kogi
Continue Reading

Education

NBM Donates Educational Materials To Schools In Ogun State

Published

on

In a bid to contribute to educational advancement and development, the Neo-Black Movement (NBM) of Africa, Obafemi Owode Sub Zone, under the Ogun Region, has donated educational materials to selected government primary schools in the Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State.

The initiative aligns with the Support-A-School-Child Project, spearheaded by the national leadership of NBM, aimed at bolstering education across Nigeria.

The donation was presented by Ambassador Tehinse Olanrewaju Ayoola on behalf of the Obafemi Owode Sub Zone.

Speaking at the event, Ayoola emphasised that the gesture would be an ongoing effort, particularly considering that Obafemi Owode is the largest local government area in Ogun State.

He urged students to remain focused on their studies while steering clear of cultism, drug abuse, and other social vices.

According to him, guiding young students in the right direction is crucial in preventing them from straying onto the wrong path.

The beneficiaries expressed their gratitude to NBM of Africa, Obafemi Owode Sub Zone, for their support and prayed for the continued growth of the movement.

ALSO READ:  40% of 2024 NECO candidates may not access tertiary institutions – NSSEC
Continue Reading

Education

TETFund to Launch 18 New Innovation Hubs Across Nigeria

Published

on

The Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) has unveiled its initiative to establish 18 new Innovation Hubs in tertiary institutions throughout Nigeria in 2025. This effort aims to bolster the nation’s research and innovation landscape.

During the closing ceremony of the 30th Cohort of the Research for Impact (R4i) initiative, held at the Innov8 Technology Hub in Abuja, TETFund’s Executive Secretary, Arch. Sonny Echono, shared the details of this ambitious project.

Echono emphasized that this initiative reflects TETFund’s dedication to nurturing a culture of problem-solving research, entrepreneurship, and technological progress. He highlighted the critical role of education and research in fostering national development and sustainable growth.

The R4i program, developed in partnership with Innov8 Technology Hub, is designed to enhance the capabilities of researchers and academics, empowering them to conduct innovative research that directly addresses societal challenges.

The Fund is committed to institutionalizing Research & Development (R&D) within Nigerian universities and fostering connections between research and industry. Echono explained that the phased establishment of Innovation Hubs and Entrepreneurship Centres will enable participants to apply their skills continuously and mentor others in their innovative endeavors.

He acknowledged the importance of research in enhancing the quality of life in the nation and expressed gratitude to Innov8 for its collaboration in transforming the innovation ecosystem. Participants were encouraged to leverage their training to develop impactful innovations for their institutions and communities.

“I am pleased to recognize the impressive commitment displayed by participants of previous cohorts during their training, which led to significant innovations addressing various societal needs,” Echono remarked.

ALSO READ:  Professor Maikudi: A Symbol of Female Doggedness, Says Governor Uba Sani

He also noted that several innovations from prior editions were showcased at the inaugural TETFund National Research Fair/Exhibition in November 2024, and he expressed confidence that the current cohort would similarly demonstrate their innovative outputs.

Echono detailed the phased funding approach for establishing Innovation Hubs and Entrepreneurship Centres, stating that the first phase will involve 12 institutions under the 2023 intervention, followed by 18 institutions in the 2024 intervention, and another 18 in 2025.

“These facilities will empower program participants to implement what they have learned at the innovation hubs and guide others,” he added.

Professor Idris M. Bugaje, Executive Secretary of the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE), also addressed the audience, underscoring the necessity of patenting innovations and registering trade names for intellectual property protection. He urged Nigerian polytechnics to spearhead practical innovation by applying scientific principles to develop products and technologies that could enhance Nigeria’s technological status.

Bugaje criticized the country’s dependence on foreign manufactured goods, such as vehicles and electronics, and called for a shift towards local production. He cited examples from Rwanda and Uganda, encouraging polytechnics to promote teamwork and take proactive measures to demonstrate Nigeria’s innovative capabilities, thereby contributing to the national economy.

“I believe many of the innovations you have showcased are patentable, as securing patents is a crucial step in innovation. You must protect your ideas and discoveries. Furthermore, if any names have been proposed, trade name registration is also essential,” he stated.

He emphasized the urgent need for innovation in Nigeria, reminding attendees that despite being one of the world’s largest economies, Nigeria lacks a recognizable indigenous technology. “This training is vital as it fosters teamwork, which is integral to the innovation process,” he concluded.

ALSO READ:  Group to purchase JAMB forms for 300 indigent students in Kogi

Mr. Edward Singhatey, Director at Innov8 Hub, encouraged participants to take the knowledge gained back to their institutions and share it with their students to foster innovation. “We must focus on commercializing our research,” he urged, motivating attendees to utilize the resources at their disposal effectively.

Continue Reading