• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Saturday, May 23, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home Sports

Tennis: Sinner, Alcaraz open clay-court seasons with Monte Carlo Masters wins

Elanza by Elanza
April 8, 2026
in Sports
0
Tennis: Sinner, Alcaraz open clay-court seasons with Monte Carlo Masters wins

Tennis: Sinner, Alcaraz open clay-court seasons with Monte Carlo Masters wins

0
SHARES
7
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz continued their tussle for the world number one spot as they opened their clay-court seasons with commanding second-round wins at the Monte Carlo Masters.

Fresh from completing the ‘Sunshine Double’ without dropping a set, Sinner needed only 64 minutes to complete a 6-3 6-0 demolition of Frenchman Ugo Humbert – conceding just six points in the second set.

RelatedPosts

Carrick Appointed Permanent Manchester United Head Coach

Guardiola Confirms Shock Exit from Manchester City After Trophy-Laden Decade

Ronaldo Brace Secures First League Title for Al‑Nassr

It was an 18th successive Masters 1000 win for the Italian second seed, who has now won 36 consecutive sets at that level.

If Sinner goes all the way and wins in Monaco he will replace Alcaraz as the world number one when the rankings are updated on Monday.

Alcaraz, the defending champion, opened his clay-court season with a 6-1 6-3 victory in 70 minutes against Argentina’s Sebastian Baez – a six-time ATP Tour champion on clay – later on Tuesday.

It was the Spaniard’s first match on clay since he triumphed over Sinner in last year’s enthralling French Open final, when he came back from two sets down and saved three Championship points en route to his second Roland Garros title.

Alcaraz, who had a 22-1 record on clay and won three titles on the surface in 2025, has held the number one spot since November.

“I’m going to lose number one in the world. I don’t know if it is going to be at this tournament or the next one,” said Alcaraz.

ALSO READ:  Iran Still Plans To Play At World Cup, Says Asian Football Body

“I’m defending a bunch of points that are going to be really difficult to defend. Even if I defend them, Jannik is going to add some points.

“I will just try to play my best and let’s see what happens, but for me the number one spot is not in my mind right now. I’m just trying to feel the best way on clay courts and let’s see how the clay swing goes.”

The gap between the pair is down to 1,190 points as the season moves on to the European clay-court swing.

Sinner has no ranking points to defend until the Italian Open at the start of May because he was serving a three-month suspension this time last year for failing two doping tests.

He will need to reach at least the semi-finals and then better Alcaraz’s result in Monte Carlo if he is to swap ranking places with the seven-time major winner.

Sinner will face Argentine Francisco Cerundolo in the next round, while Alcaraz will play either Tomas Martin Etcheverry of Argentina or France’s Terence Atmane.

Previous Post

Havertz nets late as Arsenal thump Sporting in UEFA Champions League quarter-final clash

Next Post

16,000 illegal small arms, light weapons seized under Nigeria’s APC government in four years: NCCSALW

Elanza

Elanza

Related Posts

Carrick Appointed Permanent Manchester United Head Coach

Carrick Appointed Permanent Manchester United Head Coach

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 23, 2026
0

Manchester United have confirmed that Michael Carrick will remain as head coach of the men’s first team, after the interim...

Guardiola Confirms Shock Exit from Manchester City After Trophy-Laden Decade

Guardiola Confirms Shock Exit from Manchester City After Trophy-Laden Decade

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 22, 2026
0

Pep Guardiola will step down as Manchester City manager at the end of the season, closing a transformative ten-year chapter...

Ronaldo Brace Secures First League Title for Al‑Nassr

Ronaldo Brace Secures First League Title for Al‑Nassr

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 22, 2026
0

Cristiano Ronaldo scored a brace as Al‑Nassr defeated Damac 4‑1 in Riyadh on Thursday to win the Saudi Pro League...

Next Post
16,000 illegal small arms, light weapons seized under Nigeria’s APC government in four years: NCCSALW

16,000 illegal small arms, light weapons seized under Nigeria’s APC government in four years: NCCSALW

Nigeria’s pension assets hit N29.43 trillion in February, increases by N1.39 trillion

Nigeria’s pension assets hit N29.43 trillion in February, increases by N1.39 trillion

Recommended

NAFDAC Raises Alarm Over Drug Resistance, Urges Public to Report Side Effects

NAFDAC Raises Alarm Over Drug Resistance, Urges Public to Report Side Effects

3 days ago
Nigeria Completes 2026 Hajj Airlift Ahead of Saudi Deadline

Nigeria Completes 2026 Hajj Airlift Ahead of Saudi Deadline

2 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court Rejects Stay of Execution Bid Against United Methodist Church

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigerian Govt laments gaps in polio eradication despite $500m spent

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Jaba APC Leaders Unveil 2027 Consensus Candidates

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • The Political Imprint Of Dr. Hadiza Balarabe On Sanga Politics

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (26)
  • Business (836)
  • Education (276)
  • Entertainment (412)
  • Health (253)
  • National (3,340)
  • News (10,402)
  • Opinion (445)
  • Politics (2,185)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (421)
  • Sports (725)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform